Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: I'm morally better because
I do not use a cell phone 4 6.90%
I am not overweight 20 34.48%
I do not smoke 27 46.55%
My house is paid for 18 31.03%
I never exceed the speed limit when I drive 8 13.79%
I voted for Hillary 12 20.69%
I voted for Donald 25 43.10%
I do not eat red meat 7 12.07%
I did or did not go to college 18 31.03%
Other - please let us know 21 36.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,235,559 times

Advertisements

Because egocentrism and self-righteousness? Clearly it's not confidence because I stated the former with an upward inflection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 01:57 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I never heard any politicians refer to taxes and social security as charity. It is merely redistribution.
There still is charity, and it still is voluntary in nature.
Is the concept of charity not what those who advocate redistribution attempt to use in order to justify it?

Old 02-08-2018, 02:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Is the concept of charity not what those who advocate redistribution attempt to use in order to justify it?
I don't think so, no.

All that whining and complaining seems to be an American thing. Rarely have I heard people in Europe complain about the social security system paid for with tax money. And taxes here are higher than in the US. Basically it is merely an attempt to counter the extreme inequality that threatens society, the inequality that benefits the whiners and complainers.

Old 02-08-2018, 04:55 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think so, no.

All that whining and complaining seems to be an American thing. Rarely have I heard people in Europe complain about the social security system paid for with tax money. And taxes here are higher than in the US. Basically it is merely an attempt to counter the extreme inequality that threatens society, the inequality that benefits the whiners and complainers.
And how is "countering the extreme inequality" in society through involuntary redistribution, not compulsory charity?

After all, what is the purpose of charity other than "countering extreme inequality"?

You gain no moral high ground by "countering inequality" by force.

And Social Security is not an entitlement the way the welfare state is.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:22 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
We both agree on this. But there are people who disagree, and feel as strongly about their convictions as we do about ours, in the abscence of conclusive proof.

That was my whole point. Morality is not always clear cut.
Worse is when people try to FORCE their opinion on others as if only they are morally right.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:30 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times
I am superior because my entire life has been spent caring about other people. Some would call that a weakness (our current POTUS surely would).

But at some point in my life, probably in my 30's, I realized I had a good heart (not physically, but simply no dark side which is expressed anywhere in my life).

I'm not claiming perfection. Put me in the right situation (or anyone in same) and the world can bring out the worst in people. But I've been married 45 years and all 3 of my kids like us....and I never fight with people, and I am not involved in any lawsuits...and all my former employees and colleagues think highly of me.

My parents and siblings also don't hate me......

As we used to say....if someone thinks you are an a-hole, don't worry about it. If two people think you are an a-hole, do a little bit of self-examination. If more than three people think you are an a-hole, then you probably are one.

note - this does not apply to famous people or pols. They can't win that game.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:42 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
I am not Superior to the next person, but not one iota less -

Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
God will decide who is morally superior.

Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I am superior because my entire life has been spent caring about other people. Some would call that a weakness (our current POTUS surely would).

But at some point in my life, probably in my 30's, I realized I had a good heart (not physically, but simply no dark side which is expressed anywhere in my life).

I'm not claiming perfection. Put me in the right situation (or anyone in same) and the world can bring out the worst in people. But I've been married 45 years and all 3 of my kids like us....and I never fight with people, and I am not involved in any lawsuits...and all my former employees and colleagues think highly of me.

My parents and siblings also don't hate me......

As we used to say....if someone thinks you are an a-hole, don't worry about it. If two people think you are an a-hole, do a little bit of self-examination. If more than three people think you are an a-hole, then you probably are one.

note - this does not apply to famous people or pols. They can't win that game.
How is not being involved in lawsuits a moral indicator?

I've been involved in numerous lawsuits. It's just the price of doing business.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:18 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I feel superior sometimes but the reason also make me feel crazy. I'm a pretty reasonable person but those invisible lines in the sand, the ones many people can't see and can't understand, are often very apparent to me. Some people point out "slippery slopes" that others laugh at but they are there. I see things happening now that many good people are cheering and celebrating that I know for a fact are things that will lead to the ruination of society. I know this even though (or maybe because) I don't have a fancy education and haven't devoted myself to studying a specific topic. I know this because I just naturally see the bigger picture. But because most people don't see that, they see individual the issues, it makes me feel like the last sane person in crazy town.

This has displayed itself at work and home when a new idea is suggested and everyone starts to discuss what they like and don't like while I'm sitting there talking about what's going to happen 6 steps and year down the road.

Not for everything and not always but enough for me to notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies