Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 04:00 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,033,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This is (bad) satire, but I only know maybe one or two people who even remotely act this way.
LOL, yes. But it was funny . And deleting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 04:03 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,751,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
It's often cheaper to pay the fines than meet the prevailing wage. It happens.
It's not about paying fines. The government looks at every H1B petition after a job is offered.
If the wage is too low, it fails, then the candidate cannot be hired because there is no work visa.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,717,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I'm managing a group of IT folks in my organization. Recently a position opened for a full-time consulting position. It's just impossible to get an American in here, since all IT Consultancy organizations can give you a corp-to-corp for $70/hr. Those are the H-1 folks who probably here making $60k/year. Any independent US contractors is at least double. It's insane. This H-1 business is destroying the normal job market.
Based on annual. AP's and 3 year terms in place since 2004, there's about 255,000 H1B visa holders in the US at any point in time.

How is it possible 255,000 could destroy the normal Jon market.

Might make more sense to be more concerned about IT ( and other portable job functions) being performed abroad, than in the US.

Why pay a US PHD with exceptional skills $250,000, plus bonus when a PHD with exceptional skills in India is happy with $50-75,000 which goes a long way in their local economy? The recent tax bill could have given employers incentive to hire US people instead of off shoring. Unfortunately, a merit based tax system was not a consideration.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I go worksite to worksite as a contractor and I've seen the foreign guest worker pool grow from one room to one floor to multiple floors and even entire buildings full of foreign workers. In a decade. Just about every company has rooms or floors filled with foreign guest workers. They are model workers because they don't take go out to lunch and disappear for over an hour like Americans. They bring their food and often share with each other. They show up on time rather than call in sick like Americans after the superbowl.

Thanks to Obama and the Democrats they have opened the floodgates.
Obama?

H1B visa caps have remained unchanged since 2004, about 1/3 of what they were during dot com.

My former professional exposure to H1B visa workers is similar to your own. They were more productive than their US counterparts.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
If managed properly H1B is a good program. The original intent was to provide people with qualifications not available in the US AND never to displace an existing employees. Unfortunately it has not been well-managed with the last 10 years with it used for outsourcing US positions and seeing the majority of the positions being filled by body-shoppers IT contractors who just put the cheapest person possible to get over the qualification bar - the IT contractors are the worst of the worst - bad for the employees and bad for the company hiring the H1B employee. f
Milage varies.

The visa workers employed in my prior life were substantially more productive than their US counterparts. Their US counterparts were the first to admit this.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
They're model workers because they don't take the lunch break they're granted by their employers?

Talk about a race to the bottom.
First to arrive. Last to leave. Produced twice as much as their US counter parts.

In my experience, they came from a cut throat competitive culture and understood they had to differentiate themselves from the next guy.

I can and do appreciate milage varies.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:22 PM

90 posts, read 136,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Milage varies.

The visa workers employed in my prior life were substantially more productive than their US counterparts. Their US counterparts were the first to admit this.
Disagree. My extensive experience tells the opposite story.

Many many foreign H1 B workers fail to meet the bar and have managed to puff up and even falsify their credentials. It's much harder to verify the CV of a foreign worker. They can and have said just about ANYTHING to get that H1 B placement. Once in the USA they may scramble to get the skills required but cost the company in the long run. Many departments now have management from India, for example, who are pressured from friends and relatives back in India to find jobs within their companies...this leads to abuse of the system.

The pressure to to bring over friends and family for these positions cannot be overstated.

There simply is no need whatsoever to import workers for these high level positions. It's a ruse.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Tech workers pay will continue to stagnat decline regardless of H1B visas.

It takes very little relative effort to outsource to a different country. Someday most software work will probably be in India.
My former employer made the business decision to open an IT subsidiary in India. About 90% of all IT work is done there, now.

The tax bill could have provided an incentive to hire US workers, but that's not how it went down.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It started gaining speed in the early 1990's, but you can blame Obama if it makes you feel better.

Either way, the H1B is "merit based" immigration, so it will only get worse with Trump.

H1B caps have not changed since 2004. It's about a third of what it was during dot com and the same as they were in 1990 when the H1B visa was created.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:34 PM

90 posts, read 136,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
H1B caps have not changed since 2004. It's about a third of what it was during dot com and the same as they were in 1990 when the H1B visa was created.

the point is...we don't need any.

There may be a a very very small percentage of unique instances but by and large the H1 B program is outdated and should be scrapped.

Scrap H1 B Visas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies