Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 02:33 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
why do adult grown women need mentors in the first place? mentoring is for high school kids
You are incorrect. Many organizations, including the gov and the military, have mentoring programs. They are very useful and valuable when conducted correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 02:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
One of the unintended consequences of the #MeToo movement seems to be the alienation of male mentors.

A new set of findings from women’s empowerment non-profit LeanIn.Org and online survey platform SurveyMonkey reveal that, since the media reports of sexual harassment first emerged last fall, male managers are three times as likely to say they are uncomfortable mentoring women and twice as uncomfortable working alone with a woman. The hesitation to meet with women outside of work is even more pronounced: Senior men were 3.5 times more likely to hesitate having a work dinner with a junior female colleague than a male one–and five times more likely to hesitate to travel for work with a junior woman.

In a Facebook post Tuesday morning, LeanIn.Org founder Sheryl Sandberg explained that men’s increasing unwillingness to mentor their female colleagues “undoubtedly will decrease the opportunities women have at work.” The Facebook COO pointed out that, “The last thing women need right now is even more isolation. Men vastly outnumber women as managers and senior leaders, so when they avoid, ice out, or exclude women, we pay the price.”

To encourage more men to mentor their female colleagues, LeanIn.Org Tuesday launched a campaign called #MentorHer. Already, a number of high-profile male business leaders have made the commitment to mentor women, including Oath CEO Tim Armstrong, LinkedIn co-founder Reid Hoffman and CEO Jeff Weiner, Unilever CEO Paul Polman, and Facebook CEO Zuckerberg. Disney CEO Bob Iger gave a Twitter shoutout to ABC President Channing Dungey, saying he was “proud” of her and his other mentees.

The New York Times’ investigation into allegations of sexual harassment and assault against media producer Harvey Weinstein inspired millions of women around the world to say “me too”—that they, too have experienced unwanted sexual advances or violence. A wave of accusations followed, knocking nearly 100 powerful men off their perches, including actor Kevin Spacey, tech investor Steve Jurvetson, music producer Russell Simmons, among others.

The snowballing effects has led some men to express hesitation about being alone with women. In November, Fox News analyst Brit Hume tweeted: “[Vice President] Mike Pence’s policy of avoiding being alone with women other than his wife looking better every day.”

Far from being a solution, this attitude hurts women; the #MentorHer campaign aims to educate about just why mentorship is so crucial to achieving gender parity in the workplace. Among the powerful statistics the campaign site points out (based on LeanIn.Org’s research):

People with mentors are more likely to get promoted.
Women are 24% less likelythan men to get advice from senior leaders
62% of women of color say the lack of an influential mentor holds them back.
Sandberg writes: “If we’re going to change the power imbalance that enables so much sexual harassment in the first place, we need to ensure women get more mentorship and sponsorship, not less. That’s how we get the stretch assignments that lead to promotions. That’s how we build the networks that put us on the path to exciting opportunities. That’s how we get the respect – and recognition – we deserve.”

After that crap I would never hire a woman ever again. Sorry women, my business isn't around to just give you a job.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:42 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,519,803 times
They would be super-stupid to not be extra-cautious about who they get involved in this sort of relationship with at this stage.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:43 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
If some man wants to risk his livelihood and reputation he can.

I fail to see the motivation to do it but different people may have some.

Diversity !!! How you like me now ?
I try not to talk to women at work unless necessary to do my job.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:54 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,220,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
why do adult grown women need mentors in the first place? mentoring is for high school kids
Everybody needs mentoring all through their lives. Learning new things is important for all age groups.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Any man who is afraid of mentoring a women must be scared because he knows he'll cross the line and sexually harass her. Why else would he be afraid?
Because false claims are all too common. There is a growing subset of women out there who want to be a victim too. It is sort of an entrance pass to a higher status in certain feminist circles.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:00 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
They will be uncomfortable for a bit as we navigate this new landscape -- it's okay...it will settle and we will all be better off for it.

Hang on for the bumpy ride...we don't make significant changes in our society without some bumps along the way.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:04 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Because false claims are all too common. There is a growing subset of women out there who want to be a victim too. It is sort of an entrance pass to a higher status in certain feminist circles.
The false allegations are only part of the problem. Even if the allegations were true, they're usually a big nothing burger. They're nothing anyone should be fired over or pay a settlement and be blacklisted. "He flirted with me, and I'm pissed now"...*burn him*.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:06 PM

1,239 posts, read 510,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
But still whatever happens false allegations, witch hunting, prosecutions, and resentment, avoidance and division, always remember that diversity and identity politics is our greatest strength. Nothing can make it not so.
Rape and sexual harassment have nothing to do with identity politics.
Men in the workplace are not suddenly in fear of false accusations of sexual harassment, they fear genuine claims of sexual harassment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
Receipts?

Quote:
The false allegations are only part of the problem. Even if the allegations were true, they're usually a big nothing burger. They're nothing anyone should be fired over or pay a settlement and be blacklisted. "He flirted with me, and I'm pissed now"...*burn him*.
Ah yes. They're getting fired over nothingburgers. They're giving away corporate profits over nothing. Haven't heard anything dumber today.

Quote:
That's it right there. I for one don't want you making any changes to society let alone significant changes. Your changes are rejected.
Damn, topped yourself already. Thankfully, nobody gives a crap about what you want.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:07 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
They will be uncomfortable for a bit as we navigate this new landscape -- it's okay...it will settle and we will all be better off for it.

Hang on for the bumpy ride...we don't make significant changes in our society without some bumps along the way.
That's it right there. I for one don't want you making any changes to society let alone significant changes. Your changes are rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies