Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 03:08 PM

15,530 posts, read 10,499,357 times

Advertisements

At a party last weekend, we were talking about this. Not one guy said he would mentor a woman, not to mention going to lunch, walk into a woman's office alone, etc.. And, unless their wife was present (and maybe not even then), they all agreed they would not watch their neighbor's or relative's children anymore. These were all white collar guys in their 40's, I don't know if it differs with age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 03:13 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
Any man who is afraid of mentoring a women must be scared because he knows he'll cross the line and sexually harass her. Why else would he be afraid?
You're wrong.

& Pence was right. (Regarding his DC Dinner rule)

Not one of my male peers in middle management (from now on) will allow themselves to be alone (or with a door closed) with ANY woman (that they work with)......ever. It's been discussed (alot).

Mentoring? Not a freaking chance.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:16 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
Rape and sexual harassment have nothing to do with identity politics.
Men in the workplace are not suddenly in fear of false accusations of sexual harassment, they fear genuine claims of sexual harassment.

Receipts?
It has everything to do with identity politics whether the allegations are true or not, when the accuser is female and the accused is male and accusations are dubious and the resolution is a political power or economic grab.

But sometimes sexual harassment and rape is not identity politics per se. Sometimes it is just neo-Puritanism and an over-bearing government. Like when a 22 year old female student teacher is charged and fired for consensual sexual relations with an 18 year old student who came on to her first. Connecticut teacher accused of having sex with her student | Daily Mail Online.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:17 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hound 109 View Post
You're wrong.

& Pence was right. (Regarding his DC Dinner rule)

Not one of my male peers in middle management (from now on) will allow themselves to be alone (or with a door closed) with ANY woman (that they work with)......ever. It's been discussed (alot).

Mentoring? Not a freaking chance.
Well -- I will say that an open door has never stopped the creeps from making a lewd comment -- brushing up inappropriately or trying to get a hug just because....so big whoopdi freak'n do. Keep the door open -- how is that a hard ship.

I've been mentored over the years from all kinds of guys -- you don't have to do it one on one at night in your office with the door closed.

It can happen -- full day llight -- all doors open -- all blinds opened in front of other people.

Mentoring isn't a little private affair.

Maybe you all have a skewed view of mentoring.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:18 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meester-Chung View Post
why do adult grown women need mentors in the first place? mentoring is for high school kids
Plenty of people don't know how to:
1. Write a resume
2. Write a business proposal
3. Office politics
4. How to write an email
5. How to manage peopel
6. How to plan

Old 02-08-2018, 03:18 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The false allegations are only part of the problem. Even if the allegations were true, they're usually a big nothing burger. They're nothing anyone should be fired over or pay a settlement and be blacklisted. "He flirted with me, and I'm pissed now"...*burn him*.
What's particularly sad is that in my corporate career I did mentor many women, but were I still working (I retired) I would not allow myself to be alone with a woman at work nor would I joke with a woman about anything. I do serve on several Boards, corporate and non-profit, plus I volunteer some, and I am cautious around women given the current environment.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Men in the workplace are not suddenly in fear of false accusations of sexual harassment, they fear genuine claims of sexual harassment.

Receipts?

Ah yes. They're getting fired over nothingburgers. They're giving away corporate profits over nothing. Haven't heard anything dumber today.

Damn, topped yourself already. Thankfully, nobody gives a crap about what you want.
I'm saying the underlining allegations true or not are mostly nothingburgers but the repercussion and consequences are very severe. Severe consequences for nothingburgers is the point mainly because of identity politics and more recent laws related to economic liability. .

Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I try not to talk to women at work unless necessary to do my job.

Same here.

I hate to be unfriendly, but the situation is such that anything some female co-worker says I said or thinks I meant gets me tossed out the door, so why should I but myself in that situation if I don't have to?

Old 02-08-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
What's particularly sad is that in my corporate career I did mentor many women, but were I still working (I retired) I would not allow myself to be alone with a woman at work nor would I joke with a woman about anything. I do serve on several Boards, corporate and non-profit, plus I volunteer some, and I am cautious around women given the current environment.
It's just identity politics and the resultant division and oppressiveness it invariably creates. Leftist always seek to divide everyone ,and overregulate (and overtax) just about everything that happens under the sun and that is oppressive.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:27 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,661 times
Quote:

Receipts?

Ah yes. They're getting fired over nothingburgers. They're giving away corporate profits over nothing. Haven't heard anything dumber today.

Damn, topped yourself already. Thankfully, nobody gives a crap about what you want.
And your attitude is exactly why men are avoiding women in the workplace. Men are afraid of false allegations whether you want to recognize it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies