Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 09:29 AM

17,303 posts, read 12,251,233 times

Advertisements

Yeah, this was a great quote.
"When the Democrats are in power, Republicans appear to be the conservative party," Paul said at one point. "But when Republicans are in power, it seems there is no conservative party. The hypocrisy hangs in the air and chokes anyone with a sense of decency or intellectual honesty."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 09:32 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Addams View Post
I think you and I would have different definitions for what constitutes an accomplishment.
List some of what you believe are Rand Paul's accomplishments. You started this thread to brag about a silly speech that did absolutely nothing. That is the essence of Rand and Ron Paul, they make a lot of noise but ultimately do very little. It keeps the checks flowing into his campaign coffers though and that is all that matters.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:34 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Rand Paul & Bernie Sanders need to sit in a room together and hash things out. I know they have very different ideology but I do believe both are sincere in their desire to fix things. Perhaps the two extremes could meet in the middle.

I'm sick of the partisan bull.
I rather like this idea. As a supporter of UHC, I clearly agree more with Bernie Sanders on policy, but I have a great deal of respect for Rand Paul. He is far more consistent than most of his peers.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:39 AM
Noc

1,435 posts, read 2,069,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Let me know when Rand Paul actually accomplishes something. It is amazing how easily fooled some people are by con artists like him and his father.
Why don't you ask that of his fellow (R) and have them help him get something accomplished? Instead they chastise him and act like he and his father were mad men for speaking out and opposing their own? They had common sense views that always gets brushed off. I always liked what the Paul's had to say too bad they never got enough coverage on all the details.

You call him and his father con artists who have always stood their ground and fought for what they believed in and yet you say nothing about the guy in the WH who is a know BS/Con artist.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:40 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
List some of what you believe are Rand Paul's accomplishments. You started this thread to brag about a silly speech that did absolutely nothing. That is the essence of Rand and Ron Paul, they make a lot of noise but ultimately do very little. It keeps the checks flowing into his campaign coffers though and that is all that matters.
Educating the people on how irresponsibly our government spends money is an accomplishment in itself. Just have to hope enough people remember and care enough next time they vote.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:51 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I do think we could right size (down size) or military to face the current threat of global terrorism while keeping the Russians, Chinese, Iranians, and N. Koreans at bay. We are still sized to fight the last war. I am not advocating what happened to our military after WWI, where troops training for WWII had to use guys with a sign saying "TANK" around their necks, and troops with dummy rifles. However, our military industrial complex is way to large and wasteful.
Well now! This is a red-letter day. I agree with you! We need to focus on quality, rather than quantity, particularly when it comes to weapons and equipment. I fear that a lot of money has been wasted on enough nukes to blow the planet to smithereens multiple times, and now all of that stuff must be maintained, at the cost of more useful programs. A cleaver may be impressive, but sometimes a scalpel is more effective.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
I'll bet there were lot of heads exploding at FOX News and the WH seeing a real conservative call out the hypocritical fake conservatives.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
Agree. He's a talker, not a doer.

He should be organizing conservatives, working the grass roots, raising money, etc., if he's really serious about forming a meaningful conservative movement. He should be out there working, telling people what he's for, where he would cut government (Afghanistan is drop in the bucket), whose oxen would be gored.

You have to build on what you are for, not what you are against and he doesn't do that.
I am not a Paul supporter most of the time - occasionally our views coincide on a few issues, but that's rare - but as one of his constituents, I get his weekly online newsletter. I also email him fairly frequently about current issues and concerns.

Paul is a constant guest speaker on right-wing local radio stations, visits all sorts of local conservative clubs and organizations here in Kentucky, and is a fairly regular guest on national programs like "Meet the Press". He does respond promptly to his mail and emails and phone calls, unlike Mitch McConnell, whose email box is STILL full and unread, but he seldom says anything like, "You know, you're right! Thanks so much for offering a different point of view - I will consider it carefully", rather, this time like McConnell, offers well-trodden excuses for his votes which quite often do NOT reflect either the wishes or best interests of the people of Kentucky (or the U.S., but I'll keep my criticisms local).

However, Paul does make public appearances in Kentucky and comes home quite frequently, unlike McConnell. He is far more accessible than McConnell is and shows less fear of contact with the Kentuckians he is pledged to represent. He also does not hesitate to tout his own activities rather flamboyantly in that same said newsletter, and carefully avoids mentioning his lack of contact with those who do not agree with his actions or views.

As for the deplorable attack on him, it might put it into context to keep in mind a similar attack upon a young woman at one of his campaign rallies in Lexington a few years ago. She was carrying a protest sign and was nowhere near him, nor was she causing any kind of disturbance when some of Paul's male supporters physically attacked her, knocking her to the ground and literally standing on her head. She was taken to the hospital; Paul condemned the attack (as well he should have), the attackers were charged with assault and slapped on the wrist, and the whole affair was swept under the rug.

But I could not help but remember it when Paul was recently attacked, equally without reason or excuse, and equally undeservedly. That was as wrong as it could be, as was the first attack, but Paul has made political hay out of it.

So - while I'd rather see someone who represents my views more accurately representing me in Washington, Paul is not entirely flawed. Given a choice, I'd far rather Ditch Mitch than Paul when the next opportunity rolls around. But ideally, I'd prefer to elect honest, intelligent, and ethical men or women of better quality than either of Kentucky's two current senators, regardless of party.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Paul said what everybody needed to hear. I guarantee most of them (both sides) have already dismissed it. Sad.

Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,085,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Paul said what everybody needed to hear. I guarantee most of them (both sides) have already dismissed it. Sad.
Yep. Lawmakers on both sides know he is right. But they just shrugged it off and celebrate the passing of bill that adds $300,000,000,000 to the national debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies