Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 12:35 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
That is if you find a job in TN that pays 70K. It's more like upper middle class.
Not in the good burbs of Nashville. ALMOST got a job there. Housing costs surprised me tho not nearly like the coasts... Not dirt cheap either which I was thinking until I looked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 12:49 PM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I've pretty well lived my whole life in California short of four years in Hawaii, so I can speak from at least that experience, some 60 years now in the making...

I could have also chosen to live just about any other place in America. In fact, part of why I left employment with a large Fortune 500 company is because they were apt to transfer me and my family to other parts of the country like they did when they transferred me from the Bay Area to Hawaii. "The writing was on the wall" as they say, and since I didn't want to leave California or the Bay Area once transferred back, nor did I want my kids getting moved from state to state, school to school, I quit and started my own business in the Bay Area.

SNIPPED
You already own your own home covered by prop 13?

If yes, that is a HUGE advantage.

I agree about one thing. Beautiful area. My grandparents lived in Pacific Grove near the railroad tracks by a giant redwood ?and their house backed to a park? Tiny house probably worth $2 M now.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:17 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
The majority are probably leaving because they can't afford the housing.
This would be good news for San Francisco, and if it's Democrats leaving and moving to battle ground states, it's good news for all.
Sure, like kudzu.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:24 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,031,037 times
Typical right-wing lunacy.

If everyone moves to a "liberal" state for jobs and opportunities, they whine about it and act insanely proud over the fact that nobody wants to live in their backward, impoverished states.

Then, if people leave the "liberal" state because of high housing costs (because of the growing economy and all the people moving there for work), they act proud, as if all those people are going to move to backward red states, lose 20 points off their IQ, and start voting Republican..

I'm still waiting for the prideful righties to post a single good reason to live in the red part of any red state. We know they can't - even the prosperous parts of red states are usually blue or purple. Lunacy...

Old 02-09-2018, 02:05 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,116,410 times
I am a proud Republican who hates Bay Area politics and I tell you that it is the cost that is driving people out. Two bedrooms and one bath is over a million dollars in San Mateo county. My wife and I make beween us better than 200K and we are working class.

Basically, San Jose is a very hot market, and already places like Gilroy and Morgan Hill are filling up. After that, where is anyone going to go to live if they don't make 250K a year and want to live in the Bay Area? You have to buy so far away that your commutes become impossible 3-4 hour slogs with traffic.

The politics and homelessness are large detriments for me, but most of the people around here are libdems. As or the homeless, it is all over to an extent but a lot of it is concentrated in certain parts of SF, SJ, and Oakland that you just stay out of if you don't want to see it.

As for people leaving, how I wish that it were true, but even parts of Oakland are becoming gentrified, and all over the West Bay, they are building upwards and upwards, so the money keeps pouring in.

Old 02-09-2018, 02:42 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Change and how you accept change is a big part of it.

Those I know that left could afford to stay... but the temptation of all that equity and lower cost and slower pace is the lure.

It is an amazing feeling to own a nice home outright with money in the bank is a quote from one of my friends... even better if you have any kind of pension following you.

Old timers often speak about traffic... too much or too many people... they remember a time before stop and go and on the same freeways...

A few have cited politics but not many of those I know.

I did watch the clip when it aired...

First thing I thought of seeing it was how nice it was the woman has options... options enhanced by being a long time Bay Area resident.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:34 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
They are mostly cashing in on the Ponzi scheme that is SF/San Jose housing. The prices should eventually start dropping and make life easier for younger people.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:44 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Funny article. The highlight of the piece is a retired Silicon Valley homeowner who cashes in and buys a home twice the size for half the money somewhere else. So what else is new! That's what most people do. So many people move to neighboring states that they've invented a name for it -- Californication.

Note that article didn't say anything about home prices which are at an all-time high.

I bought my home for $225K and now it's worth $1.5M. And my property taxes as almost nothing, thank you prop 13. We're mostly retired (I have a small business) but we won't be moving, we just love the area to much to leave it. (Admittedly we're in a very nice area.)

Old 02-09-2018, 03:49 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Funny article. The highlight of the piece is a retired Silicon Valley homeowner who cashes in and buys a home twice the size for half the money somewhere else. So what else is new! That's what most people do. So many people move to neighboring states that they've invented a name for it -- Californication.

Note that article didn't say anything about home prices which are at an all-time high.

I bought my home for $225K and now it's worth $1.5M. And my property taxes as almost nothing, thank you prop 13. We're mostly retired (I have a small business) but we won't be moving, we just love the area to much to leave it. (Admittedly we're in a very nice area.)
Really? 225K? So how did you feel about the FDR Presidency since you probably voted for him?

Old 02-09-2018, 03:57 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Really? 225K? So how did you feel about the FDR Presidency since you probably voted for him?
Reagan actually, and no I didn't vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies