Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 AM

23,973 posts, read 15,078,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Maybe it's your kids who have to learn how to behave in a store - not those of us who have already raised ours with decency and respect!
I think her point was kids having a meltdown in a store is avoidable. All it takes is a tiny bit of planning ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Yes, I'm a nut because I replied to others' comments which were pro-spanking. Funny how you didn't give them a hard time for their posts, asking if they met every child, isn't it?

Regardless, I don't need to meet every child to believe that physical punishment is waste of time at best and abusive at worst.
The usual "my mind is made up so don't confuse me with the facts". Yep, I get it... I can believe the whole world is flat because the little part of it that I'm walking on happens to be, so?

Old 02-12-2018, 07:17 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
The usual "my mind is made up so don't confuse me with the facts". Yep, I get it... I can believe the whole world is flat because the little part of it that I'm walking on happens to be, so?
Facts?

Fact is physical punishment has been proven not to be any more effective than non-physical punishment. Fact is physical punishment has more negatives to it than non-physical punishment.

Your comparison fails because my statements and beliefs are rooted in fact. Flat Earth theories are BS.

Old 02-12-2018, 07:40 AM

37,168 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
All you teach a child with physical punishment is that violence against someone else is OK if you are bigger than they are and the boss.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
All you teach a child with physical punishment is that violence against someone else is OK if you are bigger than they are and the boss.
In your opinion...

Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
What a freak, no stranger should be putting their hands on another person's child to 'discipline' them (doesn't seem like the child was doing anything more than asking for candy here anyways).

Stranger spanks crying toddler while in grocery store check-out - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Nobody has a right to put his hands on another person's child. The kid is 2 years old...they have tantrums.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times
Quote:
In your opinion...
No, its not opinion. Because most children who are regularly smacked will grow up to smack their own children. And think its okay.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:50 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Bizarre!

Old 02-12-2018, 04:58 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, its not opinion. Because most children who are regularly smacked will grow up to smack their own children. And think its okay.

Yes, it is just your opinion. Saying that kids that get spanked will spank their kids does not prove that corporal punishment is wrong. A preacher can claim that you shouldn't golf on Sunday morning because your kids will learn its OK to golf on Sunday morning, but that doesn't establish that its actually wrong to golf on Sunday morning.

I was spanked as a kid. I learned quickly to respect my father when he told me something , and it didn't affect my love for him any. I spanked my kids for a brief time each ,for willful disobedience rather than just things like slamming doors and such, to which I applied more "crime" specific punishments like taking off bedroom doors that got slammed, and it didn't take long for them to learn that being willfully disobedient wasn't something they wanted to do , and once this point was established the spankings ended never to be needed again. I spanked my grandkids when they were and are in my care, and they will pay far more attention to me than they will my overly lenient son in law, although they listen to my daughter and don't cross her precisely because she will spank them. But you can see that they lack a certain amount of respect for my son in law because they don't fear punishment from him.

This lack of respect for authority is very evident in the public school systems, while not nearly as prevalent in private schools that punish kids and will tell parents that complain that "these are our rules and if you don't agree you are welcome to send you kids to a school that wont punish them".

Not spanking your kids and trying to reason with immature and not fully developed minds as if they are simply small adults is the family unit equivalent of the UN sending strongly worded letters to rogue states .

Old 02-12-2018, 06:07 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,671,761 times
The spanker sounds sounds like a crybaby loser- too many people are so stressed out, or inpatient, that they can't handle a kid crying for a few minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies