Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 06:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
No, its not opinion. Because most children who are regularly smacked will grow up to smack their own children. And think its okay.
Again,in YOUR opinion...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 06:36 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,113,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Yes, it is just your opinion. Saying that kids that get spanked will spank their kids does not prove that corporal punishment is wrong. A preacher can claim that you shouldn't golf on Sunday morning because your kids will learn its OK to golf on Sunday morning, but that doesn't establish that its actually wrong to golf on Sunday morning.

I was spanked as a kid. I learned quickly to respect my father when he told me something , and it didn't affect my love for him any. I spanked my kids for a brief time each ,for willful disobedience rather than just things like slamming doors and such, to which I applied more "crime" specific punishments like taking off bedroom doors that got slammed, and it didn't take long for them to learn that being willfully disobedient wasn't something they wanted to do , and once this point was established the spankings ended never to be needed again. I spanked my grandkids when they were and are in my care, and they will pay far more attention to me than they will my overly lenient son in law, although they listen to my daughter and don't cross her precisely because she will spank them. But you can see that they lack a certain amount of respect for my son in law because they don't fear punishment from him.

This lack of respect for authority is very evident in the public school systems, while not nearly as prevalent in private schools that punish kids and will tell parents that complain that "these are our rules and if you don't agree you are welcome to send you kids to a school that wont punish them".

Not spanking your kids and trying to reason with immature and not fully developed minds as if they are simply small adults is the family unit equivalent of the UN sending strongly worded letters to rogue states .
My parents didn't spank me. Instead, they'd point to a nearby cop (if one was within view) and say that if I didn't quiet down, the cop would get angry and come take me away from them forever and throw me in a rat-infested prison.

It usually did the trick...at least when I was a little kid.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:23 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Yes, it is just your opinion. Saying that kids that get spanked will spank their kids does not prove that corporal punishment is wrong. A preacher can claim that you shouldn't golf on Sunday morning because your kids will learn its OK to golf on Sunday morning, but that doesn't establish that its actually wrong to golf on Sunday morning.

I was spanked as a kid. I learned quickly to respect my father when he told me something , and it didn't affect my love for him any. I spanked my kids for a brief time each ,for willful disobedience rather than just things like slamming doors and such, to which I applied more "crime" specific punishments like taking off bedroom doors that got slammed, and it didn't take long for them to learn that being willfully disobedient wasn't something they wanted to do , and once this point was established the spankings ended never to be needed again. I spanked my grandkids when they were and are in my care, and they will pay far more attention to me than they will my overly lenient son in law, although they listen to my daughter and don't cross her precisely because she will spank them. But you can see that they lack a certain amount of respect for my son in law because they don't fear punishment from him.

This lack of respect for authority is very evident in the public school systems, while not nearly as prevalent in private schools that punish kids and will tell parents that complain that "these are our rules and if you don't agree you are welcome to send you kids to a school that wont punish them".

Not spanking your kids and trying to reason with immature and not fully developed minds as if they are simply small adults is the family unit equivalent of the UN sending strongly worded letters to rogue states .
No, its not just my opinion.

Research is your friend. Spanking and frequent yelling has negative effects on brain development, emotional maturity and self esteemm.

Old 02-12-2018, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Again,in YOUR opinion...
Nope. Research backs up my informed opinion.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:54 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,274,465 times
Quote:
No, its not just my opinion.

Research is your friend. Spanking and frequent yelling has negative effects on brain development, emotional maturity and self esteemm.

People can find research to support any opinion they wish to push onto others.

Meanwhile, in the real world, anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain to process the info they provide to it can see the total lack of respect for authority and the total disregard that todays youth has for authority by simply visiting your nearest public school. Or watching a spoiled brat kick his dad because he didn't get his way ( as I observed in a parking lot with the kid on his back in the back seat kicking away at the "progressive " dad letting the 9 or 10 yr old do this while trying to reason with the kid as if he was an adult).

Kids don't respect the type of parent you want the world to become. No "research" from some pin head liberal will change that.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:57 AM

Quote:

Meanwhile, in the real world, anyone with a pair of eyes and a brain to process the info they provide to it can see the total lack of respect for authority and the total disregard that todays youth has for authority by simply visiting your nearest public school. Or watching a spoiled brat kick his dad because he didn't get his way ( as I observed in a parking lot with the kid on his back in the back seat kicking away at the "progressive " dad letting the 9 or 10 yr old do this while trying to reason with the kid as if he was an adult).

Kids don't respect the type of parent you want the world to become. No "research" from some pin head liberal will change that.

And no amount of hysterical, handwringing from negative conservatives will convince me that kids today are any different from days of yore.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
And no amount of hysterical, handwringing from negative conservatives will convince me that kids today are any different from days of yore.
Just because you chose to believe the things you do doesn't make them automatically correct, and yes, that does also apply to me and others.
Your problem with stating an absolute position is that no two humans are the same and as has been proven over and over again humans don't always learn the same way.

This alone negates your cookie cutter stance...

Old 02-13-2018, 08:37 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,274,465 times
Quote:

If you are foolish enough to truly believe this then you have no concept of what goes on in public schools today, why parents that can are abandoning the public schools for charter or private schools, and why public school teaching is such a stressful profession in these days.

Myself, I know a number of teachers that went to school in "the old days" when kids could be punished. And they will tell you what is changed if you have the courage to listen .

Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,784,490 times
Quote:

It's even in the cartoons they watch. My daughter was home with a fever that wouldn't break. I was cleaning and some of the stuff I heard come out of cartoons she was watching shocked me (she doesn't watch them often). Those cartoons are now banned. She even knows to not to kick the back of my seat because....she can't afford to replace it.
In our house I am the primary parent almost 75% of the time because of my husbands job. I cannot and will not allow our children to disrespect or disobey me. I am setting them up for being successful adults and parents (when the time comes). My husband gets all over my son for just looking at me wrong when he is told to do something.
So yes, you also have a very valid point about today's youth.

Quote:
That's the thing though Magritte25. Things have changed very much since the "days of yore". It's called social media.

Please watch Undercover High. I have sat and watched it with my kids and disrespect toward authority is even happening in middle school/jr high. Not only that but some of the stuff they are dealing with that circles around cell phones and social media. It's gut wrenching. I was not so shocked at my son telling that it is happening in his school.
Undercover High: What people don't realize about teenage life today - Business Insider

Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,728,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The spanker sounds sounds like a crybaby loser- too many people are so stressed out, or inpatient, that they can't handle a kid crying for a few minutes.
Not to mention a complete weirdo. Who spanks a stranger's kid? It's creepy as hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies