Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 09:57 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
No argument there, but what was a server doing preparing the meals? That's a management issue. Remember that if as a server she was credited with that $700 sale (getting paid what, $2.25/hour?) she'd be responsible for paying taxes on a portion of it.
Yes. I don't think most people expect to add a tip to a carry out order, so why in the world was a server required to spend most of her day preparing one?

It wasn't smart for her to complain on social media, but if this is common practice at Outback, it needs to be changed.

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
No argument there, but what was a server doing preparing the meals? That's a management issue. Remember that if as a server she was credited with that $700 sale (getting paid what, $2.25/hour?) she'd be responsible for paying taxes on a portion of it.
Depends on the restaurant and the dish. At one chain I frequent, when I order an entree salad, the server puts it together, not a cook.

The issue isn't the work she did, it's whether she should have identified a cheap customer in public.

2,821 posts, read 2,108,151 times
Regardless of whether this person received a tip or not is irrelevant. She did not follow the company's policy.

Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 AM

19,821 posts, read 12,084,715 times
For those who don’t read the article, the Executive Director of Business for the church said a volunteer went to pick up the takeout order and didn’t know to tip. The executive called the restaurant the next day to try to make it right.

Years ago, shortly after Outback started the curbside pickup (which is what the church used), I frequently picked up dinner on the way home as it is incredibly convenient. Not once did I not tip the servers/runners. I do believe they are considered servers. This appears to be a case of ignorance that just hurt more due to the size of the sale.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:00 AM

7,520 posts, read 2,805,770 times
Her inability to control her emotions and posting on social media led to her being fired.

The church has reached out to her and that was also in the article. I agree that an automatic gratuity should be on large orders but can see a misunderstanding happening if a take-out order was paid for by credit card ahead of time and the person picking it up had no involvement in payment. If I were taking a large order I would absolutely require it be paid when placing the order.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:01 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,161,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Sounds like they normally tip.

we had a volunteer go to the restaurant and pick up the order since we were having a big conference. He probably didn’t know to tip since it was a rush of the moment thing.”

Now she can get a better job instead of this low paying one.
In a place like this the pay isn't always that hateful. Most tip pretty well. Not all, but most. You go home with a pocketful of money nightly.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:02 AM

45,312 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Depends on the restaurant and the dish. At one chain I frequent, when I order an entree salad, the server puts it together, not a cook.

The issue isn't the work she did, it's whether she should have identified a cheap customer in public.
Preparing 50 steaks and 50 chicken dinners is orders of magnitude different than throwing a salad together.

You are correct, and I never said any differently, that the issue is the social media outing.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:09 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,648,952 times
I didn't used to tip at curbside pickup, but I have started doing it. I don't think these servers are just "runners." While they don't cook the food, they are often responsible for getting it into the take out containers, ensuring the order is complete, adding the extras (bread, condiments, utensils) and packaging it in such a way so that your salad isn't sitting beneath your hot dish of pasta.

While I don't tip them 20% as they aren't carrying plates, refilling drinks, and checking on me every so often, I do give something.

I'm sure putting together a huge carryout order was a lot of work.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:16 AM

39,838 posts, read 26,477,889 times
What part of TAKE OUT ORDER is so hard to grasp? You pay a server to come to your table, take your order, keep your drinks filled, bring your food, etc. The ones who did the work here are the cooks and chefs, not the whiny "server". And they are typically not tipped for doing most of the work at any restaurant.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:23 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Preparing 50 steaks and 50 chicken dinners is orders of magnitude different than throwing a salad together.

You are correct, and I never said any differently, that the issue is the social media outing.
Totally true. I was just responding to the comment that wondered why the server was involved in preparing the meal. That's an internal practice that differs by restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.