Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 08:34 PM

393 posts, read 306,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Even though this particular order was big, it was to go to many people, so in other words, rather than these many people each individually ordering take out, it was lumped into one big order. I dont think that changes anything just because all those people got take out in one lump order.
I don't get why a lot of people are not thinking about this? One person picks up a large order for whatever amount of people. That one person should NOT be responsible for the gratuity. While the other people could give the money to the person picking it up, still, it basically is lumped into one order all at once rather than 25 orders for example spread out throughout the day. I agree with this. What is the difference in 25 people during the server's shift getting 1 order to-go each vs. 25 in one order? If anything, she had to walk 24 times LESS, yet, she would have NEVER thought about complaining about each person ordering 1 at a time, would have she? She had it easier to do it this way and yet she complains she didn't get tipped, WTH???

Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
I don't get why a lot of people are not thinking about this? One person picks up a large order for whatever amount of people. That one person should NOT be responsible for the gratuity. While the other people could give the money to the person picking it up, still, it basically is lumped into one order all at once rather than 25 orders for example spread out throughout the day. I agree with this. What is the difference in 25 people during the server's shift getting 1 order to-go each vs. 25 in one order? If anything, she had to walk 24 times LESS, yet, she would have NEVER thought about complaining about each person ordering 1 at a time, would have she?
Right, and which is why you dont tip for take out. Tips are for in-house waitstaff service. Tipping is getting out of hand when it goes to these expectations that the tip was not originally meant for. Now i do feel the need to tip waitstaff, pizza delivery, and Peapod grocery delivery and movers and the maintenace guys, when they go out of their way to do me a favor outside their job description like when i asked a maintenace guy to move some heavy stuff to the trash for me, they did me an extra favor and saved me trouble, so i gave him some money to thank him. But i have seen where tip jars are in places that we never used to see before, and now it becomes an entitlement and a burden to the public.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
Ordering $735 in takeout is a way to cheap out on catering.

That these good Christians would cheap out on tipping is hardly a surprise.

Old 02-19-2018, 02:06 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

So your the judge of other people's life?

Not every restaurant offers catering!

If someone rather pick up food themselves than that's their choice.

We are not a communist country but free to buy where and when.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
So your the judge of other people's life?

Not every restaurant offers catering!

If someone rather pick up food themselves than that's their choice.

We are not a communist country but free to buy where and when.
You bet I'm judging. Was there any doubt?

"Not every restaurant offers catering!" is a ridiculous comment.

So what?

According to the article, they were having a "big conference."

If you are planning a "big conference" you either find a restaurant that does offer catering or you tip the waitress for your 50+ takeout orders.

That or be cheap bastards.

Here I am, using my powers of judgment again.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 AM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Springs1 View Post
While I hate to prove you wrong, here is proof where you are wrong with some restaurants:

At the bottom of the menu:

I guess you can say they don't call it a "tip", they call it a "service charge."

I don't see waffles on the menu.

Old 02-19-2018, 03:59 AM

1,949 posts, read 3,864,105 times
This is a symptom of a system that exploits servers and leaves them in limbo in such situations. If servers instead got a normal hourly wage and everything was built into the price of the food, everything would have been fine.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

A lot of places do this. Catered events have to be booked in advance. Many places have lunches where it can't be planned that far ahead.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpat View Post
This is a symptom of a system that exploits servers and leaves them in limbo in such situations. If servers instead got a normal hourly wage and everything was built into the price of the food, everything would have been fine.
Servers should get paid the same as the rest of the staff and if they do a good job it then should be up to the customer to tip or not.

Pay a waitress more. I'll still tip if she keeps my glass filled and the plates cleared.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
A lot of places do this. Catered events have to be booked in advance. Many places have lunches where it can't be planned that far ahead.
According to the news article, they were having a "big conference."

This was not a last minute Bible study where fifty some people decided to order out at the last minute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies