Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 03:54 PM

6,855 posts, read 2,828,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
Lately, everywhere I look, there is some news story or article about cultural appropriation. Some person or group is always on the defensive about having their culture stolen.

Zara's (an online clothing retailer) was attacked on twitter for selling a long skirt that looked too much like a Lungi.

H&M under fire for selling a "chola" inspired mini checkered skirt.

A Black Lives Matter group protested outside of Solfire Yoga studio because the white owners organized a rap yoga class.

Yoga classes are being cancelled at some universities because of complaints from other students

Bindis and headdresses are being banned from music festivals because of cultural appropriation.

Celebrities who wear braids are being attacked on twitter for stealing hairstyles.

Fashion designers are being sued for cultural appropriation.

Seriously, I do not understand this whole idea of not being allowed to borrow from other cultures. So are people just not allowed to appreciate other cultures beauty and designs? Have we really gotten to the point where it's offensive that somebody likes something from another culture and chooses to bring it into their style?

It's stupid to me. It is absolutely ridiculous that people will get violent over a white person wearing dreads or putting gauges in their ears or a black girl wearing blonde straight hair. I don't get people these days. Finding offense over everything is the new thing.
I agree with this post. I don't get it either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 04:09 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,738,447 times
The term is just applied for discriminatory reasons, but trying to me it like it is not discriminatory. If A black person straight out said "white girl should not wear braids because she is white" then that sounds racist. But is the black person says "the white girl wearing braids is cultural appropriation of black hair style" now it does not sound so racist, but fact is this is a racist statement.

Anyone using this term is just making a bigoted statement.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:01 PM

5,479 posts, read 2,103,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post

What is cultural appropriation?
It's the same as sexual harrassment....it's whatever the accuser says it is!

Old 02-12-2018, 05:12 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,525,578 times
So is the adaptation of Marxism by Americans of color an act of cultural appropriation?

Maybe only white Germans can be Marxists? Or at least white German speakers?

Old 02-12-2018, 09:17 PM

3,565 posts, read 1,910,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
It's the same as sexual harrassment....it's whatever the accuser says it is!
Sexual harassment and cultural appropriation both have actual definitions.

It may behoove you to know them

Then again, it may not if you're not willing to have reasoned adult discussion about the topics

Old 02-12-2018, 09:20 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,525,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Sexual harassment and cultural appropriation both have actual definitions.

It may behoove you to know them

Then again, it may not if you're not willing to have reasoned adult discussion about the topics
Thanks to Catherine MacKinnon, the legal definition of sexual harrassment has become so expansive that the term has become meaningless.

Another nutty feminist law professor, Sally Engle Merry, made up the term "cultural appropriation" and gave it a similarly expansive definition.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:08 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,828,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Liberals are so weird.
I think intellectual laziness is weird. Stop pinning all this crap on all liberals.

Old 02-13-2018, 01:46 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,250,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FluidFreedom View Post
the BLM group was upset because raps history is about black people expressing their pain and stuggle
Exactly. People don't realize that the struggle of the Black community and the pain that growing up in a world of white privilege has few outlets for catharsis. Rap is one of those few things created by the black community that can serve as an outlet for the pain created by that struggle and to let white people appropriate it removes the empowerment it brings. I think Sir Mix-a-Lot put it best:

I like big butts and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung, want to pull up tough
'Cause you notice that butt was stuffed
Deep in the jeans she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh baby, I want to get wit'cha
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But with that butt you got makes (me so horny)
Ooh, Rump-o'-smooth-skin

Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,910,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
I think intellectual laziness is weird.
Unfortunately, intellectual laziness is quite common.

I'd guess it accounts for 75% or more of the posts on this board.
"I don't understand this. It must be stupid"

Quote:
Stop pinning all this crap on all liberals.
A lot easier for most people to say "you're stupid" than it is for them to say "I don't get this"

Old 02-13-2018, 06:51 AM

18,407 posts, read 7,039,011 times
Quote:
I think intellectual laziness is weird. Stop pinning all this crap on all liberals.

You think Conservatives came up with the idea of "cultural appropriation" having negative or racist connotations?

How so?

Conservatives are all about adding other compatible cultures to American society being a positive thing, not a negative.

The key is that word "compatible" as in people who don't want to kill us.

So, how is something like white people wearing corn rows or dreadlocks a negative form of cultural appropriation but black people straightening their hair is not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies