Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times

Advertisements

Just got done watching the White House press conference. When asked about the numerous WH staffers who are currently working in their position without proper security clearances it appears the WH is taking the position that the problem lies with law enforcement agency policies not being expedient about clearing these individuals rather than the individuals not passing the clearances. The WH also appeared to want those agency polices changed, that the issue is with the agencies, not the staffers.

Does this seem completely backwards? It's been more than a year for some of the staff. Is there any precedent for taking that long to investigate? Seems to me either they pass or they don't. If they don't why are they still there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 02:26 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Just got done watching the White House press conference. When asked about the numerous WH staffers who are currently working in their position without proper security clearances it appears the WH is taking the position that the problem lies with law enforcement agency policies not being expedient about clearing these individuals rather than the individuals not passing the clearances. The WH also appeared to want those agency polices changed, that the issue is with the agencies, not the staffers.

Does this seem completely backwards? It's been more than a year for some of the staff. Is there any precedent for taking that long to investigate? Seems to me either they pass or they don't. If they don't why are they still there?
I will tell you that there is a backlog to get a clearance. Due to some issues that happened a few years ago with the contractor that was doing it (and doing in incorrectly), they were let go. The agency who is charged with doing it can't really get going for some reason.

My daughter's secret clearance took 18 months. Top Secrets are taking about 1 year. However, if you are on a high visibility program, which I assume would be the White House, they can get moved to the top of queue and be vetted. So I'm not sure I believe them.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:30 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I will tell you that there is a backlog to get a clearance. Due to some issues that happened a few years ago with the contractor that was doing it (and doing in incorrectly), they were let go. The agency who is charged with doing it can't really get going for some reason.

My daughter's secret clearance took 18 months. Top Secrets are taking about 1 year. However, if you are on a high visibility program, which I assume would be the White House, they can get moved to the top of queue and be vetted. So I'm not sure I believe them.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:30 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post

yes they can get moved to the top of the queue, but remember who you are dealing with, the FBI, and the powers that be there are not happy with trump, and thus they wont be moving off their agenda to impede this administration as much as possible.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes they can get moved to the top of the queue, but remember who you are dealing with, the FBI, and the powers that be there are not happy with trump, and thus they wont be moving off their agenda to impede this administration as much as possible.
https://www.clearancejobs.com/securi...arance-faqs#23

I don't believe the FBI is directly involved with the clearance process. The National Agency check (usually done by OPM) can request a run through of a person through the FBI database but this is an automated process.

The FBI would not be brought in unless there were FBI "flags" on the person and the FBI had to be interviewed. Most normal people don't have any issues with that.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:51 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Took a little longer than a year to get my federal background check completed and that was in the early 1970s. Everyone else I worked with, who was hired at the same time, got their clearance much earlier. I always had a theory about why that happened and my theory was because even though I was only 21, I was living in DC for 3 years, not at college, and the fed job I was applying for was in NY where I lived the rest of my life. My guess was at the time, feds in 2 different locations (NY and DC) would have to clear me, and since one was DC, I figured those guys were the busiest (more feds to clear). My co-workers only lived in one state, NY. Point being there was nothing nefarious about me.

Don't know how they do it these days. Anyway, I was still allowed to see the same info as the people who got their clearance before I did.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:52 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,224,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Trump has issues with a handful people in the FBI, there are 35,000 FBI employees. Despite right wing conspiracy theories, the daily grind continues at the FBI.

Old 02-12-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Took a little longer than a year to get my federal background check completed and that was in the early 1970s. Everyone else I worked with, who was hired at the same time, got their clearance much earlier. I always had a theory about why that happened and my theory was because even though I was only 21, I was living in DC for 3 years, not at college, and the fed job I was applying for was in NY where I lived the rest of my life. My guess was at the time, feds in 2 different locations (NY and DC) would have to clear me, and since one was DC, I figured those guys were the busiest (more feds to clear). My co-workers only lived in one state, NY. Point being there was nothing nefarious about me.

Don't know how they do it these days. Anyway, I was still allowed to see the same info as the people who got their clearance before I did.
Yeah, most likely in the 1970s, there was a very manual process for transferring information. Depending on the level of our clearance, they may have interviewed people in both states.

When I got my clearance done back in 1988, it took all of 3 months. Then I had a new on done in 2008 and that took 4-5 months. Since it was a secret, no one was ever interviewed. They just sent questionnaires to neighbors, coworkers, etc.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
This all comes from Porter -- who had his security clearance done and was told he couldn't get it because of the restraining order. It wasn't red tape, or whatever...it's standard policy. If you have a restraining order -- meaning a judge saw good reason to issue a restraining order against you-- you can't get clearance.

White House is now trying to make stuff up about why they are allowing folks without clearance have access to information.

I don't blame Trump -- he doesn't know or understand why you would need clearance and why you can't get it with a restraining order. He doesn't know.

But there should be people around him that do.

What a mess in that office -- lol.

Old 02-12-2018, 03:25 PM

1,816 posts, read 1,150,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post

Just exposes another Donny lie - We are going to hire the BEST people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies