Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2018, 09:28 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Even state schools are expensive, 25K a year.

You can’t really afford it if you have to take out debt and pay it over 30 years. That’s not Including books and everyday life expenses if you come from a low income family that can’t support you for 4 years in school
Move to CA. JC here is free first year and upper class at State schools is less then two grand a year if it's that important to you.

But, highest COL in the nation, so there is that. Again, how old are you and why is anyone "supporting" you? Really? You can't survive without someone coddling you? My God. Most people leave the nest at 18 and are glad to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaucka View Post
How many of these loans are for $50k plus per year private schools? I grew up in a low income household and went to a state university, even though I was accepted at several higher tier private schools. I went to the state university because that is what I could afford without graduating with mortgage-sized debt. Most teachers I know that went through public higher ed can afford to pay their loans back.
I worked for several years in public education, the vast majority of teachers went to state schools. They paid on their loans until they hit the five year consecutive mark then utilized loan forgiveness (which is only applicable to highly qualified teachers in low income schools). The max amount forgiven is $17,500, I never met a teacher who was anywhere near the max amount when the remainder was forgiven. Low income schools tend to pay less, this is a trade off so that these teachers can still continue in these positions despite the lower pay.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:30 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Move to CA. JC here is free first two years and upper class at State schools is less then two grand a year if it's that important to you.

But, highest COL in the nation, so there is that.
New York SUNY is around 6 grand tuition, however it’s the room and board amoung other expenses that make it 25k a year.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
They don't realize many teachers making 30k a year are in Loan forgiveness programs as well

So imagine how bad public schools will get when the pool of teachers continue to get smaller and smaller due to all the education required but the pay being dismal
Students loans should be forgiven for doctors, nurses and teachers because they go into these fields to benefit all of us not just themselves. And anyone going to a military academy should also not have to pay. The naval academy pays for everything as long as you give 5 years of service. The merchant marines have to pay for their tuition. We need all of these professions.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
You realize automation is taking away a lot of labor jobs and will continue to do so

That’s what they said back in the days, learn a trade, go work in a factory build cars. Then the auto industry crashed. Then the rhetoric changed to get an education, learn coding, get into Stem.
automotive assembly line jobs...sure...but

automation is not taking the car/truck mechanics job
automation is not taking the truck drivers job
automation is not taking the jobs in railroading

automation is not likely to take the teachers job
automation is not taking the speech therapist job

automation is not taking drafting jobs

automation is not taking concrete workers jobs

automation is not taking the police/fire jobs

ALL of these service jobs make good money
and yes many teachers are underpaid...by the overpaid admins

Old 02-12-2018, 09:38 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
New York SUNY is around 6 grand tuition, however it’s the room and board amoung other expenses that make it 25k a year.
What makes you ENTITLED to go to this school???????

Old 02-12-2018, 09:47 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Quote:
You seem over-emotional. The posters point is that this is an inexpensive school as far as schools go, but the total expense adds up for all education.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Dorms are extremely expensive. I just lived with a bunch of roommates near my school.

And yes, roommates require a bit of compromise, as is working full time while also being a full time student but it was so worth graduating with ZERO debt.

My husband also graduated with no debt, but he also went to a public university...and he was lucky enough to be able to live with his parents rent-free.

We also graduated with STEM degrees, a field that I guess we're fortunate enough to naturally be interested in.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:50 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,531 times
Quote:
Sorry, I already graduated from NYU with scholarships.

You just seem to not be getting the point that students not going to college is going to have a huge effect on our economy.

Old 02-12-2018, 10:00 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,394,400 times
Its in the national interest to fund students who belong in college and will utilize the degree for a real career.

Raising intelligent individuals out of low wage labor and poverty both makes society mentally and economically healthier, through allowing for better income distribution, as well as makes the low wage labor pool more viable, via less competition, for those who belong in blue collar jobs.

Sending talented students to college also allows for the training that allows the advanced manufacturing and technology economies to keep growing, which are about the only economies that create new blue collar jobs at this point (in addition to energy).

This growth makes everyone's lives economically better. Unless you have a way to start lowering the population and don't care about stock market growth (for your retirement funds) then there is no way around the requirement for this growth.

In one sense it's not useful to fund the large amount of students to go to college who do not belong there. They won't make significant use of the degree, it crowds Universities, and makes schools bloated on the student loan economy.

In another sense it is useful because a certain contingent of people are pretty useless as far as economic value is concerned (their true potential is more or less limited to low skill labor), and sending them to college takes them out of labor pool for 4-6 years. This lowers crime and lowers labor competition for those who probably have a better aptitude for skilled blue collar work. In other words, it briefly but importantly solves a social problem in a manner that may be cheaper than you think given the alternatives. It's a population issue that won't be solved by limiting student loans. I'm unsure what the answer is. Its probably cultural in large part.

What does hurt the country is funding these students to attend Universities that are eventually forced to lower academic standards so that they do not experience massive failure rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies