Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Facebook memes influence your vote?
Yes, I'm easily manipulated and have trouble tying my own shoes. 3 3.61%
No, I don't rely on social media to spoon feed me my opinions. 80 96.39%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,736,857 times

Advertisements

How would you know? That’s the whole point of indirect influence. If you knew it was happening to you then it wouldn’t be successful.

Let’s say you’re part of that tiny minority of “undecided” voters, and you get a rash of articles trashing a candidate, making misrepresentations about them but that have just a kernel of truth so you believe them. If you see these articles and ads being reposted over weeks and months, and you don’t question them, you may very well be influenced by what they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 04:22 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,095,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhallian View Post
How would you know? That’s the whole point of indirect influence. If you knew it was happening to you then it wouldn’t be successful.

Let’s say you’re part of that tiny minority of “undecided” voters, and you get a rash of articles trashing a candidate, making misrepresentations about them but that have just a kernel of truth so you believe them. If you see these articles and ads being reposted over weeks and months, and you don’t question them, you may very well be influenced by what they say.

Agree. There were loads of articles trashing Trump during the election

Old 02-13-2018, 04:28 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,085,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
The you believe advertising and PR is completely and 100 percent ineffective. So in that case never complain about "mainstream media bias" as that cannot exist. Nobody can be swayed by other's opinions.
You're comparing the entirety of the mainstream media to a few Facebook memes?

Really?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Did Russia buying ads on Facebook influence your vote in the 2016 Presidential election?

Were you an independent who was going to vote for Hillary but were bamboozled by a meme about Benghazi or her destruction of thousands of emails?

Did Vladimir Putin trick you into voting for Trump with a video of cute puppies wearing little MAGA hats?

If you're really that mentally weak that your opinion was so easily manipulated.......

Should you really be voting at all?
Which ad was from Russia? I hardly look at ads as I skip them or ignore them so they can't influence me. On tv we switch channels or get up to get a drink during the commercials. Fast forwarding on the DVr is also a nice option we use.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:39 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:

Really?
I think it's comparable.

Sure Pepe doesn't have the respect/authority tag like a Tom Brokaw or Dan Rather but frogs are known to be in an "alert state" even while sleeping. Brokaw and Rather need 8 solid hours per night.

Advantage Pepe.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,493,361 times
Quote:

Really?

A lot of people do not read the news directly from a media site or by tuning in. I mean we keep hearing about NYT, CNN, WAPO etc.. lousy viewership correct? Or is that fake news being spread by POTUS?

Old 02-13-2018, 04:43 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,143,696 times
Quote:
Did Russia buying ads on Facebook influence your vote in the 2016 Presidential election?

Were you an independent who was going to vote for Hillary but were bamboozled by a meme about Benghazi or her destruction of thousands of emails?

Did Vladimir Putin trick you into voting for Trump with a video of cute puppies wearing little MAGA hats?

If you're really that mentally weak that your opinion was so easily manipulated.......

Should you really be voting at all?
Even though I'm an unofficial "Russian Bot Organizer," I certainly don't rely on social media to form my own opinions nor do I allow the daily outrage manipulators (Lamestream Media) to change my opinion. Finally, I look at the policies and expected results over personal trivial information about a politician.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:45 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Agree. There were loads of articles trashing Trump during the election
For me -- the election was not the turning point for Trump -- it happened about 30 years ago.
He got more coverage than anybody -- live coverage -- not play by play -- just him yacking it up. They covered everything he did and everyhere he went -- live......I rarely heard the discussions or analysis (he isn't that wordy -- it isn't hard to understand him, you don't need a dictionary -- that's for sure).

Old 02-13-2018, 04:48 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
We didn't get ads here in SC because it's not a swing state. I didn't realize how obvious that was until talking to friends from across the country. The ones in swing states had calls, people knocking their on door, ads...we got none of that. I got one request from Trump for money. That was it.

Old 02-13-2018, 04:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
For me -- the election was not the turning point for Trump -- it happened about 30 years ago.
He got more coverage than anybody -- live coverage -- not play by play -- just him yacking it up. They covered everything he did and everyhere he went -- live......I rarely heard the discussions or analysis (he isn't that wordy -- it isn't hard to understand him, you don't need a dictionary -- that's for sure).
So any publicity is good publicity?

Because while Trump was heavily covered by the MSM it was overwhelmingly done to disparage him while worshipping Hillary.

And remember, I have no team and don't care. This is a neutral party just telling you how it went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies