Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sorry, I'm not going to buy it. But let's make one thing clear. Just because Hillary hires and call someone an IT expert, hardly means they are any such thing.
And neither Hillary or Podesta would be able to determine the quality of an IT guy. So they go to the guy who has the job.

You have of course your Constitutional right to bury your head in the sand. But Podesta asked and got the wrong answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 09:03 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,485 times
Seems prudent. Don't see an issue. They can still vote the same way they always have voted.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:12 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,367,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Most military members don’t even bother. Their vote doesn’t really influence an election enough to worry about suppressing it.

So please...stop it. SMH
Interested where you get your facts regarding military members not voting? I was military for 22 years, and voted in every single election, even if it meant using an absentee ballot while overseas. The large majority of my coworkers did as well.

Old 02-14-2018, 09:15 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Why would Google need to send a link to tell someone to change their password?

He would already be in his Gmail account if he read "Google's" email, and they would just tell him to go to his account screen (or whatever) and change his password. He wouldn't need a link.

That absolutely makes no sense that an IT person would OK that.

Last edited by DRob4JC; 02-14-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-14-2018, 09:16 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,397,040 times
The conspiracy fairy back in town?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:18 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why would Google need to send a link to tell someone to change their password?

He would already be in his Gmail account if he read "Google's" email, and they would just tell him to go to his account screen (or whatever) and change his password. He wouldn't need a link.

That absolutely makes no sense that an IT person would OK that.
there are multiple news reports that it happened. And apparently supporting emails. And yes it was dumb for an IT guy to approve...very dumb. So?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
there are multiple news reports that it happened. And apparently supporting emails. And yes it was dumb for an IT guy to approve...very dumb. So?
Next question - Who is this IT guy?

Charles Delavan

“Is This Something That’s Going to Haunt Me the Rest of My Life?”

The Times quotes Delavan as saying that he actually recognized that the email was a hoax—but mistakenly typed the word legitimate when he meant to type illegitimate. The implication was that the Clinton campaign was compromised not by incompetence, but by a slip of the fingers.

This is a lie - since according to the email, he told him directly to change his password with two factor authentication.

Fishy stuff here...

Old 02-14-2018, 09:31 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,595,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Liberal group with ties to Obama, Hillary calls to restrict overseas U.S. military voting

After years of accusing states of “voter suppression,” the Center for American Progress wants to make it tougher for overseas military to vote in the name of election security.

The left-wing public-policy group issued Monday a report, “Election Security in All 50 States,” that called for stricter standards to prevent cyber-meddling in elections by foreign governments, including banning military stationed abroad from submitting ballots via email or fax.

One state that allows such vote-casting is Colorado. The center called on the state to “prohibit voters stationed or living overseas from returning voted ballots electronically.”

Colorado Secretary of State Wayne Williams defended the practice, saying the state has incorporated safeguards to protect the integrity of ballots cast by military personnel living overseas.

Center for American Progress: CAP Election Security Report Finds Most States Remain Vulnerable to Hacking or Systemic Failure

Instead of concerning themselves with what others are doing, why don't they teach John Podesta what a phishing email is, and Hillary the importance of email security.

Ridiculous.
Actually, what's ridiculous is claiming "the left wants to suppress the military vote".

I read your linked article, and this one:Election Security in All 50 States. I saw nothing in yours that even suggested some conspiracy to suppress the military vote. My link addresses military votes in the context of overseas ballots in general. The CfAP only addresses cybersecurity in voting, not voter suppression. So show me, exactly, where it even hints at attempted suppression of the military vote?

You made the claim, so YOU have the burden to prove it. Until you do, I call bullsh on the OP.

All you succeeded in doing is further reinforcing my already low respect for hysterical stories about "threats to our freedoms", and therefore are just frank hearsay from scaremongers and nothing more.

After reading so many stories of this nature, one gets the impression that certain people measure the truth-value of a story by how scarily sensational it is. The more scarily sensational, the more truth it has. Correspondingly, any serious-minded rebuttal to such stories is untrue simply because calm-toned rebuttals are false because they are....well...calm!

You are the type of person that Joseph McCarthy absolutely loved!

Oh, BTW, how much does a high quality Angus steak and a good local craft beer cost in Moscow or St. Petersburg?

Old 02-14-2018, 09:34 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,222,322 times
Quote:
Why don't you go for your real goal? To vote you must be male, white and own land. Blame it on the founding fathers.
The idea you should get a say in managing the “system” when you are not financially supporting it is nuts.

The requirements for suffrage were designed to ensure that community leaders who had the most at stake were the ones who could participate in group decision making.

And while unfairness due to lack of representation has been removed by universal suffrage now we see the ill consequences of letting people that have no stake and no risk vote literally to spend other people’s money .....so it is a different kind of unfairness and one far more dangerous and destructive than the “old ways”

Old 02-14-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Actually, what's ridiculous is claiming "the left wants to suppress the military vote".

I read your linked article, and this one:Election Security in All 50 States. I saw nothing in yours that even suggested some conspiracy to suppress the military vote. My link addresses military votes in the context of overseas ballots in general. The CfAP only addresses cybersecurity in voting, not voter suppression. So show me, exactly, where it even hints at attempted suppression of the military vote?

You made the claim, so YOU have the burden to prove it. Until you do, I call bullsh on the OP.

All you succeeded in doing is to further reinforce my already low respect for hysterical stories about "threats to our freedoms", and therefore are just frank hearsay from scaremongers and nothing more.

After reading so many stories of this nature, one gets the impression that certain people measure the truth-value of a story by how scarily sensational it is. The more scarily sensational, the more truth it has. Correspondingly, any serious-minded rebuttal to such stories is untrue simply because calm-toned rebuttals are false because they are....well...calm!

You are the type of person that Joseph McCarthy absolutely loved!
Question - is requesting people get a ID card to vote, voter suppression? If yes, then why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies