Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that there should be other months devoted to other races?
Yes, every race should get their own month! 29 78.38%
Nope! Black History Month deserves an entire month! Other Races Do not! 8 21.62%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,810,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
As far as im concerend multiple cultures/races/and people were ensalved at some point in history. We seem to only focus on what happened in the last 200 years though.... What about the rest of history of slavery then?

Well in the 16 - 18th century white europeans were captured and sold as slaves in north Africa...Barbary Slave Trade.

According to Robert Davis, between 1 million and 1.25 million Europeans were captured by Barbary pirates and sold as slaves in North Africa and Ottoman Empire between the 16th and 19th centuries.[1][2] However, to extrapolate his numbers, Davis assumes the number of European slaves captured by Barbary pirates were constant for a 250-year period, stating:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_slavery
FYI - Black History Month is primarily about Black American History.

In the history of America, black people were enslaved. You may not want to talk about it, but it did occur. IMO instead of being defensive about it, you should be grateful that our countrymen/women of all backgrounds/ethinic roots took part in making the values of America more relevant for the entire American population.

You can also be inspired by historical figures and events of black Americans. Why do you have such an adverse feeling toward celebrating your own country men/women?

Old 02-14-2018, 12:14 PM

39,175 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why do we need a white history month. We weren't the ones who were brought here to be slaves to the whites. The torture blacks went though by our hands And it needs to be heard, acknowledged and recognized. And the African American population in this country is only around 12%, so what are you afraid of.
I agree with the rest of your post, but your bold is not something I want to read or listen to. I would like to learn all the nice things white folks have done for the human kind. That is inspiring for me.

I think something positive is always better than an apology tour. (It is getting quite old)

Old 02-14-2018, 12:16 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,796,471 times
Black history is American history, I do not know why we cannot go away from this notion we must segregate history based upon race.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:37 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,066,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Black history is American history, I do not know why we cannot go away from this notion we must segregate history based upon race.
For so long the accomplishments were excluded from inclusion in American history books in large parts of the country. Although it is best to teach whatever when you study that event/period in history we now do it this way.....maybe in time.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 PM

17,980 posts, read 27,436,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Why is there an Entire Month Devoted To Black History? What About Asian History Month? What About Caucasian History Month? What About Middle Eastern History Month?

I think a entire month is overkill. If theres an entire month devoted to it. Then other races should deserve the same .
Squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:35 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,333,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL about speaking of our histor perpetuating "feelings of victimhood."

Are you black?

I ask because us black people we do not feel victimized by our history. We are inspired by it. It is always odd to me that people believe that us learning about our history is somehow a threat to non-black people.

From the creator of Black History Month, Dr. Carter G. Woodson:
I am not black. But, I believe that the concept trying to increase self esteem in the black community is a good thing, but there is more to the issue. There may never be a Jewish president, a movie with a Jewish super hero, or Jewish history month and yet Jews have amazing self esteem.

When Obama became POTUS I thought we had finally ended racism. But, today it seems racism is worse. This is obviously a media creation along with the Dems and black leaders that need racism to get elected into office. Racism is improving on a daily basis, but if a person hears there is a racism 24/7 then that person will likely see racism everywhere.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:38 PM

34,219 posts, read 18,550,731 times
The only thing an "ethnicity, or race of the month" would do is make us continue to focus on our differences instead of our vast similarities. Black History month is silly, as would be Caucasian, or Asian History month. Black History Month is just another failed attempt by Whites to feel less guilty about the past.

Old 02-14-2018, 02:26 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,592,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I am not black. But, I believe that the concept trying to increase self esteem in the black community is a good thing, but there is more to the issue. There may never be a Jewish president, a movie with a Jewish super hero, or Jewish history month and yet Jews have amazing self esteem.

Black history month isn't about increasing self esteem in the black community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
When Obama became POTUS I thought we had finally ended racism. But, today it seems racism is worse. This is obviously a media creation along with the Dems and black leaders that need racism to get elected into office. Racism is improving on a daily basis, but if a person hears there is a racism 24/7 then that person will likely see racism everywhere.
Oh give me a break. What a bunch of baloney!

Old 02-14-2018, 02:31 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,550,989 times
When I was a kid I asked my mother why there was Mothers' Day and Fathers' Day but no Children's Day.
She said,"Everyday is Children's Day!"

Old 02-14-2018, 02:50 PM

6,468 posts, read 4,063,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The only thing an "ethnicity, or race of the month" would do is make us continue to focus on our differences instead of our vast similarities. Black History month is silly, as would be Caucasian, or Asian History month. Black History Month is just another failed attempt by Whites to feel less guilty about the past.
Black History month is almost solely an ethnic history month.
Just like these are all ethnic-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asia...Heritage_Month

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iris...Heritage_Month

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_History_Month

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...Heritage_Month

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nati...Heritage_Month

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poli...Heritage_Month

Although some months are more important than others, Seeing as African Americans are the largest identifiable ethnic group (Not counting all the various Hispanic groups as one or the white groups that generally don’t identify as English or German or Polish but rather just White), they get the most buzz.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.