Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 08:54 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
It took trained, law enforcement officers to stop this killer. Not overcompensating gun nuts who shoot at inanimate objects in their backyard.

I know gun nuts have this wet dream that they'll be a national hero after using an assault rifle to blow someone's head off for stealing a Snickers bar in a Walmart parking lot, but it's never going to happen.

But please, go ahead and demean what these students, who lived through this tragedy, have to say. You can't set the bar any lower.

This is how you know nothing will change with these types of people still around.

The shooting is the fault of the "liberal mentality".

liberalism is a mental disease... that's why liberals wont do anything about the mental illness... they are afraid they will all be locked up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 08:56 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I can only answer for myself. No, I don't feel I am being treated unfairly if I can't get a gun. But part of me actually wants to see if I could get a gun to test the system. I was first diagnosed with major depression in 1993 and though it was years later, I had no trouble getting an armed security card through my state and carried a gun for more than a year on my job.

I've since been diagnosed again with depression and anxiety but feel like if I wanted to, I could walk into a gun shop and get a gun. Maybe I'm wrong
I think it's very likely you could both test the system, & get a gun.

Some occupations require one can be licensed to get a gun. No gun, no job.

I need to work to provide for myself & loved ones. No work, we hungry. & I'm no boss, just a worker bit$ch.

(Cardi B, Bodak Yellow)

You seem to have a handle on things, & self-awareness too, don't forget to be kind to yourself, wishing you the best ~ a little bit of peace, love, & understanding goes a long way. G'night.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:59 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sopTUWWOEX4

Old 02-15-2018, 09:01 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
Your president and conservative jack...I mean "darling", Tomi "I got fired on my day off" Lahren, getting schooled by high schoolers.

https://twitter.com/TomiLahren/statu...78544295505922

https://twitter.com/car_nove/status/964122342464081921
Goodness, I could only imagine the hate she would get if she spoke to Obama like that (your spoiler in your thread, not showing in my quote). At that, Congress makes the laws, they are the ones to do something. But right now they are spending their time on protecting illegal immigrants from being deported.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
The focus should NOT be on mental health! I'm a person quite advanced in years, and from what I've seen throughout all my time spent upon this earth, all I can tell you, is that there ain't a sane one amongst us!
If mental health is a cause, why should the focus not be on it? If drunk driving was a problem, you think they should spend time on smoking and driving?

Quote:
Somebody who is universally acknowledged as being a very intelligent and well-balanced person can later be proven a wife-beater, a felonious criminal, or perhaps even a mass murderer. You simply don't know! The stakes are simply too darn high too chance...
True, but not sure what this has to do with any thing.

Quote:
A gun in anyone's hand can be a certain risk given the most opportune time. A semi-automatic gun is an even greater risk.
Yea, so is a swimming pool, your point?

Quote:
I personally believe that only certain members of law enforcement should have access to semi-automatic and automatic firearms.
And why is that?

Quote:
When the 2nd Amendment was written, folks still had to shoot, fill and pack the barrel with blackpowder, and set the trigger before firing. I'm most certain they would have made an exception for semi-automatic firearms.
You have no idea what they would have done. You saying that is no different than saying that since they only had a quill and paper, any other form of communication can be restricted. My belief is the 2nd Amendment is there to make the gov fear the people, therefore the people should have comparable arms, the 2nd sure as hell was not about hunting.

Quote:
They were too smart not too!
Yea, they had slavery and restricted voting also.

Quote:
I'm all for confiscation!
Well, at least you are straight up honest about it, unlike many people. I am all for not confiscating the legal, private property people have, nor all of a sudden declaring something illegal that 99% of everyone who possess such property have committed no offense with it. The Bolsheviks did the same thing also when they were first establishing power after the civil war.

Despite the tragedy, homicides from guns are relatively low, much lower than in the 80's.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:01 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Wondering if those receiving early Social Security benefits because they are unable to work because of a mental health related disability feel their rights are being unfairly restricted?

I know more than one person whose right to drive is restricted because of their disability, for example, if one has a seizure disorder.
You do not have a constitutional right to operate a motor vehicle.

You do have a constitutional right to be armed.

You also have a constitutional right to Due Process.

Historically, in the Western World, the mentally ill were never called upon for service, and if it were discovered that someone was mentally ill, they were disarmed and sent home. Modern militaries discharge the mentally ill from service, and upon discovery of a mental illness, company, troop and battery commanders will require the mentally ill soldier to surrender their weapons card (so they cannot draw a weapon).

The 2nd Amendment is predicated upon any armed citizen potentially being called to serve in a militia or drafted for service in the federal army, and since that would not include the mentally ill, it is proper to deny the mentally ill the right to bear arms.

To satisfy a citizen's 5th Amendment right to Due Process, it would only require an administrative hearing convened by the State.

Note that members of the federal army and National Guard are afforded due process, through one or more hearings before a board to determine if they are mentally ill.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:05 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
yes..do something about mental illness in the USA

Old 02-15-2018, 09:12 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes..do something about mental illness in the USA
Put them in a database? The shooter wasn’t in any database... and what constitutes mental illness? Any?

Old 02-15-2018, 09:13 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Killer in a Trump hat: Shirtless Florida gunman does backyard target practice wearing one of the President's Make America Great Again baseball caps before murdering 17 children in school massacre
Quote:
Disturbing footage has emerged of suspected Florida high school killer Nikolas Cruz doing target practice in a backyard while shirtless and wearing a Make America Great Again cap.

In the video, which was taken by a neighbor and obtained by CNN, the teenager can be seen wearing the MAGA cap and socks while pumping off rounds in the yard.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
He pulled the fire alarm and waited for the kids to run outside, so locking the door would do nothing. The hallways in FL schools are typically outdoors, which was the case here too.
Not all schools are constructed in that fashion.

A surveillance video camera only costs $129.

I note that the Marjory Douglas High School was able to pony up $200,000 for a new sports stadium in 2007.

$200,000 would have bought more than 1,500 security cameras.

Old 02-15-2018, 09:14 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
It took trained, law enforcement officers to stop this killer. Not overcompensating gun nuts who shoot at inanimate objects in their backyard.

I know gun nuts have this wet dream that they'll be a national hero after using an assault rifle to blow someone's head off for stealing a Snickers bar in a Walmart parking lot, but it's never going to happen.

But please, go ahead and demean what these students, who lived through this tragedy, have to say. You can't set the bar any lower.

This is how you know nothing will change with these types of people still around.

The shooting is the fault of the "liberal mentality".

A badge does not make, or even qualify anyone to be a better shot. Shoot first ask questions later is all the LE need to know today, since they are being targeted.
I have 2 AR's that load 9mm handgun rounds and a trench broom Thompson that loads 45acp's. Full auto/semi auto.
I bet there are 1000's of civilians that go to the range way more than the everyday officer.
That lady in DC a few years back they unloaded on her in her car. Over 40 rounds and only 2 hit their mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies