Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 10:04 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
What's your point? I don't get why in the long run the race of the mass shooter/murderer matters that much to anyone.
It clearly mattered to the poster I was responding to, or did you miss that?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post51051319
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 10:24 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It clearly mattered to the poster I was responding to, or did you miss that?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...l#post51051319
Out of the 2400+ posts here, I've responded to a lot of them. Can't remember everyone, but you're evidently doing the same thing as the poster you're responding to. Here's a hint. Out of all the mass shooters in history, they've all been some race, some gender, belonged to some political party or whatnot. I still don't see what that has to do with anything.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:25 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,754,656 times
Seems to me that Americans are fine with their schools being terrorized by Mass Murder. By the end of the week it will be forgotten. If people really cared steps would be taken to prevent this kind of Carnage. Nothing has changed in all these years. A crazed gunman can walk into my kids school and ............ I shudder to think about it.................

Old 02-16-2018, 10:31 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,519,061 times
I also see folks saying there should be armed guards and metal detectors at school. I'm not arguing otherwise, but as I was looking online, I ran across this --

Quote:
Weise drove his grandfather's squad car to Red Lake Senior High School, arriving at around 2:45 p.m. Central Standard Time. As he entered the school through the main entrance, he encountered two unarmed security guards manning a metal detector. Weise shot and killed Derrick Brun, while the other security guard escaped without injury. Weise proceeded into the main corridor of the school.
I missed the part where they were unarmed at first. Unarmed security guards aren't worth the $9.00 an hour they get paid in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Lake_shootings

There needs to be a multi-faceted battle on school shootings. Not just one thing is going to work. And part of what we do needs to be getting a handle on the problem of folks getting guns so easily that have no right to those guns. I'm not saying we need more laws. We could start by being tougher with the laws we have.

In 1995, Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people with fertilizer and ammonia nitrate. Folks on this forum have pointed to this bombing by saying there are a lot of ways to kill people. And they're right. But in the weeks and months after OKC, Congress and the president passed laws making it tougher for just anyone to get this amount of fertilizer and ammonia nitrate. All we're asking is that they look at the mass shooting epidemic in America and at least pretend to want to do something abut it.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:39 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the 2nd amendment my soul to keep

if I should die before I wake, I pay the 2nd amendment my soul to take

if I should live another day, I pray the 2nd amendment to guide my way.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:43 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,727,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Seems to me that Americans are fine with their schools being terrorized by Mass Murder. By the end of the week it will be forgotten. If people really cared steps would be taken to prevent this kind of Carnage. Nothing has changed in all these years. A crazed gunman can walk into my kids school and ............ I shudder to think about it.................
Seems to me if the FBI would have done their job instead of being so focused on trying to take down Trump they may have stopped the shooting. But hey, the left wing is more interested in trying to get Trump instead of the FBI doing their job.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Me without my meds = 10 suicide attempts
me with my meds = 0 suicide attempts

But next time I'll try your suggestion and just chill a little.
But why do you and other humans attempt suicide, while other mammals don't?

Brain chemistry is the explanation for mental illness, but is it the cause or effect?

Mammals can attempt self harm, when they are in situations of prolonged stress - wouldn't their brain chemistry also show difference to others of their species?

Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,552,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
But why do you and other humans attempt suicide, while other mammals don't?

Brain chemistry is the explanation for mental illness, but is it the cause or effect?

Mammals can attempt self harm, when they are in situations of prolonged stress - wouldn't their brain chemistry also show difference to others of their species?
Animals do commit suicide. You should try education.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:00 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak Cravings View Post
Animals do commit suicide. You should try education.
In what situation though?

Old 02-16-2018, 11:01 PM

42,851 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Out of the 2400+ posts here, I've responded to a lot of them. Can't remember everyone, but you're evidently doing the same thing as the poster you're responding to. Here's a hint. Out of all the mass shooters in history, they've all been some race, some gender, belonged to some political party or whatnot. I still don't see what that has to do with anything.
Most mass shootings in the US have been committed by white males. That is not racism, or reverse racism or anything else, it's just a simple fact. The other poster claimed that of the worst mass killings of 2017, all but one was committed by a person of color. I offered evidence to the contrary. Had he made a claim that most crime is committed by males over 50 years of age I would have offered him proof that most crime in the US is committed by males between 16 and 25 years of age. To me facts matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies