Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:16 PM

4,798 posts, read 3,505,823 times

Advertisements

So a ruger 10/22 22lr with a bx25 round magazine should be banned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 04:18 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I don't even know what countries you are talking about in that comment - where did that happen and what were the circumstances?

Your AR-15 is not going to help you fight the government, think about it for a second. You and your friends decide to take on the US government for whatever reason, cops show up and you kill them, more cops will follow but they will know what you're up to and aren't going to stand there and let you shoot them, they will appraise the situation and wait for more cops to arrive with armored vehicles and that will be the end of your war against the government.
It's clear you not only don't know history, but you obviously don't understand what would happen to the first few fools that sign up for a gun raid. Further, the next to go would be the politicians that wrote the order.

History hint: Stalin and Hitler. Two men your side now seems to admire.

Old 02-20-2018, 04:20 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
So a ruger 10/22 22lr with a bx25 round magazine should be banned?
Be patient, they're are discussing it!

Old 02-20-2018, 04:40 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
It's not a conspiracy. Liberals want guns removed from society. They don't even attempt to hide that agenda. They've been pushing for years to get more gun control. These types of issues just help their cause so of course they're going to exploit any opportunity that they can.
I'm a liberal, I don't want to remove guns from society, but I think it's reasonable to either ban the sale or possession of guns with a 30 round detachable magazine, or if not ban them- then only allow people who are vetted by local law enforcement, using the same background checks required for a CCW.
Quote:
It's to better teach people how to use them and to evaluate those who want to buy them to make sure they aren't a mental case who shouldn't own a gun.
I agree with both of those statements, but a NICS check doesn't tell you that a person has had 39 police contacts, has acted irrationally on numerous occasions or has made threats to people, all of those would keep you from getting a CCW but won't stop you from buying an AR-15.
Quote:
Do the research. Gun crimes are committed more in areas with the strictest gun control laws or in establishments that ban guns.
That doesn't hold up if you look at per capita data which is far more relevant than total numbers.
"The stats don’t tell us much without reference points from other cities. Data on violent crime from 63 U.S. cities, compiled by the Major Cities Chiefs Association, show that in 2016 Chicago had the highest number of homicides and non-fatal shooting incidents. But absolute numbers are misleading, because they don’t account for differences in population size. Chicago is home to roughly 2.7 million people, while St. Louis’s population hovers around 315,000. When the numbers are analyzed on a per-capita basis, Chicago does not top the list. In 2016, St. Louis had the highest rate of non-fatal shootings with 660 per 100,000 people. Chicago, in contrast, had just 89 per 100,000 people. New Orleans had the highest rate of homicides in 2016, with 47 per 100,000 people. Chicago, in contrast had 16 per 100,000."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9fd3b12b2e42

Old 02-20-2018, 04:51 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,582 times
Quote:
Why should most have their guns confiscated? Why should any law abiding citizen who has legally bought firearms and whose second amendment rights allow them the right to own a firearm have it confiscated because of the actions of someone who had mental issues? That's like trying to say that we have to ban cars because a drunk driver ran through a crowd of people.

When someone drinks and drives and has an accident, we blame the person... not the car.
When someone beats someone to death on a sidewalk with a stick, we blame the person... not the stick.
When a police officer shoots someone, we blame the officer.... not the gun.
But when a civilian has a gun and goes off the deep end, we blame guns... not the individual.

Tell me why it's different?

An AR-15 is NOT an assault rifle. AR stands for Armalite Rifle company, who designed the rifle. It doesn't meet any Federal classifications that would make it an assault rifle. It "looks" like an assault rifle and because it looks scary, people want to use that as the selling point that no one should be allowed to have them.

Many hunting rifles are semi-automatic and over half of the handguns sold are semi-automatic. Do you want to ban those as well? They can do just as much damage in the right hands as an AR-15. So why the agenda to go after that gun?

Again.... you are doing exactly what I said most who want them banned seem to do. You blame the gun and not the person or the circumstances that led up to that person snapping. You are looking at the effect instead of the cause. Banning guns only ensures that criminals will have them. You also ensure that the public becomes defenseless and more of these situations will occur.

As I said above, too many people want to avoid the responsibility of raising children to value human life. Instead you want to regulate their very existence to the point that everyone has to ask the government mother may I to cross the street.

You will never regulate guns to the point that criminals cannot obtain them. What you can do is ensure that we continue to raise more and more damaged human beings by avoiding responsibilities as good parents. Then you can turn them loose in society to become a criminal who will go find those illegal guns that the criminals didn't turn in during the confiscation and use those on defenseless citizens who did turn theirs in.

No one has killed 50 people with a knife because they have other options. As you remove one option, they will simply find others. Anything can be a weapon to a person intent on harming another. We SHOULD be focusing on what is causing people to snap in the first place and address THAT issue.... THEN maybe we can make real progress.
If you wanna revolver, a bolt-action, lever-action, or a pump, then that's alright, perhaps....

Nothing remotely close to a semi-automatic though!

Next thing ya know, somebody will figure a way to make it automatic as soon as you get it home DIY style.

But nobody should be walking around in public with any kind of firearm. It shouldn't be in your car either...

Old 02-20-2018, 04:54 PM

5,101 posts, read 2,046,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
I suggest you look up David Hogg and the interviews he has given.
Speaking of David Hogg, there's a video of him from last Summer in Los Angeles where he confronted a lifeguard. https://thecitizenpress.com/what-is-...oting-witness/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZD7UkJd24

I'm afraid then that might give more fuel to conspiracy theorists like this vlog for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aOg7b46-Ws

Old 02-20-2018, 04:55 PM

1,704 posts, read 748,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What?
Sorry,
that message was intended for a person of a much lower status than yourself!

Sincerely,
Zeliner

Old 02-20-2018, 05:55 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Sigh... since I need to spell it out... in most self-defense situations, a gun is mainly useless. Why? Because in most attack scenarios the victim does not know they are under attack until it is too late. People have been killed when someone shot them from across a street! Their gun was how useful? Now some armor? Kevlar helmet? Now you are talking. In fact, I've heard that they want to arm teachers so they can be first line of defense. Fine. I'm good with that. IF you give these guys a fighting chance and issue them armor. Anything else is using them as cannon fodder. Making a pacifist Liberal educator use a Glock 9mm against a crazy intruder with an AR-15 with a bump stock just isn't right. Making them do it without even a flak jacket is probably against OSHA.

Plus - they don't get paid that much! We barely pay them for pencils and paper and NOW we want them to choose who lives and who dies?

Ha! Fat chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
It's clear you not only don't know history, but you obviously don't understand what would happen to the first few fools that sign up for a gun raid. Further, the next to go would be the politicians that wrote the order.

History hint: Stalin and Hitler. Two men your side now seems to admire.
No one has every suggested a gun raid. This is where ya'll go whenever the SLIGHTEST hint of common sense laws is discussed.

I get that you WANT it to be about 'they're coming for your guns" because that rallies the base.

Obama had 8 freaking years and he never once came for your guns or suggested it. But ya'll still trotted out that old argument at least once a month for 8 years.

Come on.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:21 PM

19,603 posts, read 12,203,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
If you wanna revolver, a bolt-action, lever-action, or a pump, then that's alright, perhaps....

Nothing remotely close to a semi-automatic though!

Next thing ya know, somebody will figure a way to make it automatic as soon as you get it home DIY style.

But nobody should be walking around in public with any kind of firearm. It shouldn't be in your car either...
Did you grow up in the US? Your thoughts on this are quite extreme. You sound like you would be alarmed if you saw someone legally carrying.

Old 02-20-2018, 06:37 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Speaking of David Hogg, there's a video of him from last Summer in Los Angeles where he confronted a lifeguard. https://thecitizenpress.com/what-is-...oting-witness/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvZD7UkJd24

I'm afraid then that might give more fuel to conspiracy theorists like this vlog for example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aOg7b46-Ws
I hear Hogg is connected to the FBI. Hate to be a CT but a lot of this is very strange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies