Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Shooting Survivor: CNN Gave Me "Scripted Question" After Denying Question About Armed Guards

Bolded for emphasis, in case some missed this.

I really wish he would have gone anyway and asked his question.
so do i. he should have just taken his scripted comment, nodded, then asked his own question.
and told us about cnn's sleazy underhandedness afterwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so do i. he should have just taken his scripted comment, nodded, then asked his own question.
and told us about cnn's sleazy underhandedness afterwards.
I guess he didn't want to be that devious or be like CNN was being?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:18 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
No, they're not lurking "everywhere"! That was quite obviously a figure of speech. However, the likelihood that you yourself, or an unsuspecting loved one, could become a victim of a mass-shooting, increases with time, if we decide to take no action to reduce gun prevalence and its lethality within our country.
Well I'm not saying we should not take action. I just don't believe that a ban on one model is the right or effective solution.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:40 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Well I'm not saying we should not take action. I just don't believe that a ban on one model is the right or effective solution.
Personally, I don't care how many we ban!

This barbaric debauchery has just got to stop and stop NOW!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:43 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
Personally, I don't care how many we ban!

This barbaric debauchery has just got to stop and stop NOW!
Noted. I'm sure there are many reasonable level headed people trying to come up with better solutions.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Who, Obama? Yep, seen plenty of them...
That's a damned lie!

President Obama was much too intelligent and articulate for that stammering stuff.

He's waaay smarter than Donald!

He's got much more class and dignity too...

Well, at least he's never groped or molested women and got caught on tape admitting it!....Now THAT was stupid!

Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
Why do you think assault rifles are needed? Hopefully, the ban will be reinstated. We need to protect our children in schools.<>
I'm relatively new to this thread. I arrived because I started a thread on what I thought was a separate topic: the CNN Town Talk program last night with the students, parents, and faculty of Stoneman Douglas talking with politicians, the sheriff of Broward, and Dana Loesch representing the NRA. That got merged here.
The vocabulary keeps getting merged, too.
Approximately NOBODY thinks assault rifles are needed.
Imagine for a moment there was a problem with a specific car, just say, oh, an Explorer which blows tires and rolls over and kills people 6 at a time. The logical thing is to fix the problem, not to start asking why people need a big car which can carry that many people at a time through rain, mud, and snow. Especially unhelpful if you think the solution is to outlaw all vehicles with four wheel drive and high ground clearance. It is very confusing when the Chevrolet version of that class of vehicles does not have the problem and you insist on calling the Chevy vehicle an Explorer and insisting the solution is to take them both off the market while ignoring the actual problem. The actual problem in that case was the TIRES.
The actual problem with guns is CRAZY PEOPLE.
I don't know if a single person who hates tires, I mean, guns, will ever understand this. So if you have to call a big black ugly self loading weapon with a large magazine an AR-15 assault rifle, I guess we will just let you have your moniker. It makes it easier for the media to write and talk, too.

The major complaint at Stoneman Douglas last night was yours, why haven't we banned the guns? The answer is we did, and it didn't have any effect at all. The Law was an experiment with an end date. So it expired. The Democrats had the power to reinstate it when they had the POTUS, the entire Congress, the DNC platform and they did nothing. So now some want to limit all self loading guns to the military and the police. I can name a lot of politicians who were in favor of that starting with Hitler and Stalin, moving on to Bashar al-Assad and continuing with Nicolás Maduro. The fear of that happening here is very real to a lot of people.

Yes, a full automatic with a bayonet mount is a weapon of war. Civilians don't get to have those.
A weapon to hunt animals that are moving at a couple of hundred yards does not need more that (smallnum) cartridges or the hunter should go back to the range.
People trying to clear out wild boars need a big pile of rapid fire, high capacity weapons.
That is why there are many designs of rifles available to the public.

Moving to your next proposal, reinstate the ban. There is a technical challenge here which as many gun enthusiasts will tell you they would welcome as a fun part of shooting at targets. That challenge is to increase the rate of fire to be faster that the next guy at the range. To a mechanically minded shooter, it is just like hot rods. To have a gun that looks cooler and shoots faster is a wonderful thing. To these people the guy that invented the bump stop was not encouraging murder, he was creating a nifty gadget to burn more cartridges faster for fun.
The point is go ahead and ban whatever, we'll design around it for fun and recreation and the bad guys will have them too. Rubio said last night that the 1994 law outlawed 200 rifles, while there were 2000 functionally identical rifles not on the list. Ban them by list or description and my first assignment as an armory engineer the next Monday will be to design around it and find a way to make a permitted weapon faster.

Yes, make the schools safer and resistant to entry by bad people with guns. We all want that, no doubt. The NRA put together a solid plan in 2009 which I am tracking down for a link. Many schools have implemented all or part of it, as mentioned by Dana Loesch representing the NRA last night. Loud booing of her ensued which was simplistic reflex.
Find it and bring it to your local law enforcement and school board to accomplish your last goal. The detailed plan to do what you want to do exists. Congress and your State are not going to do it. All politics is local. Make it your local activity. School board meeting are open to the public. Get enough voters together and they will agree to pay for it with bond issues.

BTW, I do have a plan on how to get semi-automatic weapons out of the hands of the general public and out of the hands of the crazy people in another thread. I'll track it down for you.
In short, define the "Well trained militia" in terms of an actual Federally Chartered group instead of just an implied citizenry between 17 and 45. I'll try and post the link.

Here it is, the way to protect schools. Not some off the cuff concept but a detailed plan backed up and documented. I'm sure if you contact the NRA they will help you implement the plan protect your local schools.
https://www.nationalschoolshield.org/

Last edited by Crashj007; 02-22-2018 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: Found the site

Old 02-22-2018, 09:01 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,986,761 times
Default Parkland Student Admits That CNN Gave Him Scripted Questions During Town Hall; Says He Couldn't Ask His Question

Colton Haab, a Junior ROTC student and survivor of the school shooting in Parkland, Fla., last week, said he going to participate in the CNN town hall Wednesday night, but decided not to when he said the network provided him with a list of “scripted questions.”

"I expected to be able to ask my questions and give my opinions on my questions," Haab told a local ABC affiliate, WPLG-TV. "CNN had originally asked me to write a speech and questions, and it ended up being all scripted."

Haab said he was asked to prepare a speech and some questions. He was planning to ask about school safety and the possibility of using veterans as armed security guards in schools, but was rejected by CNN. After being told he had to ask a scripted question, Haab decided not to attend the town hall.

Sounds like typical tactics to push their agenda. They did the same during the debates by leaking questions.

Parkland student: CNN gave me 'scripted' questions on guns

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...ed_guards.html

Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
https://cdn.theatlantic.com/assets/m...jpg?1509638975

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-22-2018 at 10:36 AM..

Old 02-22-2018, 09:09 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
To be expected, today. It's a common practice by all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies