Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 05:11 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Our schools have a new procedure with this in mind...
At my grandson's school the doors automatically lock when they are closed, they can only be opened from the inside unless you have a key, I thought most schools were like that, color me dumb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 05:11 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,439,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did Cruz commit a felony before the big day?

Was he adjudicated as a mental defective?
He committed numerous crimes according to what has been reported.

Whether or not any of them or the collective lot of them would have eventually resulted in felony charges, I don't know.

We are still waiting for the reports to come out on what was involved each time the Sheriff's office went to his house over 39 times.

Remains to be seen whether or not any of those calls SHOULD have resulted in felony charges. We know this is a county where local LEO has a policy not to arrest and give records to juveniles.

He was not adjudicated mentally defective when they had the chance to do so. Another failure of this very liberal county govt.

Liberal democrats and their policies own this clusterf@@k

Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The sad truth is that every lockdown scenario you can imagine breaks apart on the fact that in any schools the doors can't be locked from inside the room and the teacher has to go into the hallway to lock it with a key.
Maybe some schools -- but I know our local schools can be definitely locked from inside. I've been there and had to participate in a shooter drill.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:12 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Pretty sure it was reported early on that he threw smoke bombs and wore a gas mask
You are correct.

The smoke and alarm resulted in internal gates being electronically opened and students fled.

Visibility in some hallways was compromised.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,471,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
At my grandson's school the doors automatically lock when they are closed, they can only be opened from the inside unless you have a key, I thought most schools were like that, color me dumb
Probably due to the age of a school...

Old 02-22-2018, 05:14 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The FBI Call Center is not staffed with FBI agents. Instead, it’s staffed with lesser skilled ( cheaper) resources than agents.

Prior to big day, did Cruz commit a crime in the school? He was expelled for fighting with the current BF of his ex GF, so the story goes. There is no public information about this incident.

It is not a crime to make an online threat, unless there is evidence to support an intent to carry it out.
There is no certainty had the FBI Call Center not dropped the ball, the Miami field office would have found anything.

The friend/family that gave him shelter the past few months had no clue.
The FBI was informed in September about Cruz’s claim “I’m going to be a professional school shooterâ€. The next morning two FBI agents visited the gentleman who reported the post so that cannot be blamed on call center employees.

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wow, CNN just reported that one of the deputies who was the first responder on the scene never entered the building, never engaged the shooter. Said they aren't releasing the footage. I guess this cop just stood there watching it go down?
yep that's what it sounds like, he stood outside after the shooting started
https://twitter.com/browardsheriff/s...98213108953088

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, not drama. Some people are making these teachers out to be some super hero in an action movie. Movies are not real life. Here we had a highly trained professional who couldn't do his job, yet teachers are expected to not only be teachers but also be highly trained security officers who will respond better than a sheriffs officer.
Who is expecting teachers to be security officers?

Not a single person has advocated forcing teachers to carry. Not one. But you are going to purposely distort the opposing view in order to make it seem as if that's the idea. If you can't argue without lying, you've already lost.

The purpose of armed teachers is to slow down the shooter by engaging him. Nobody is asking them to confront the shooter ala a wild west gunfight. Just get his attention long enough for the kids to get to a sage place and the police to arrive.

1,896 posts, read 811,307 times
I think too many people have some Hollywood/romanticized vision of how shoot outs happen and how people respond to them. This is why armed teachers are a bad idea.

Old 02-22-2018, 05:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
So you could have gone somewhere else and accessed its system immediately.
We didn't have the best system either. If it ever went down totally, we were screwed. But the SOP was to bring in extra guard to walk the floors if it ever happened. Which it didn't while I was there.
Quote:
Your job may have entailed monitoring the system but most video systems in schools are passive, no one even looks at them unless they want to find out who broke into the Coke machine.
I'd say you're right That probably needs to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies