Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 08:34 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That deflection has been used too many times. Do better.
The truth is a deflection now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I don't take issue with anything you said. However, the underlined portion bothers me. Not you specifically, crembrulee, but to know that a law enforcement officer, who swore an oath to protect us, froze. I get it, people freeze when under extreme stress, such as a madman firing hundreds of rounds with a rifle. Many of us would probably freeze. But to hear that a law enforcement officer froze really disturbs me.

And apparently, the deputy retired yesterday, so that means he's got at least what, 20+ years of service as a Sheriff's Deputy? And the one time he probably ever had to draw his weapon to save the life of another, he failed, miserably.

I do not fault the man, as you and I agree that it's human nature to be scared in a situation like that. But I am pretty disappointed.
There has been nothing reported that this LEO froze.

That's giving him a huge benefit of the doubt.

Sounds more like he made a decision to take up a defensive position rather than go inside. That is not the same as freezing by a longshot.

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
What about grieving , emotional, PTSD adults on Sept 12, 2001 (not just surviving loved ones, but substantial segments of a nation) deciding whether the nation should go after al-Qaeda, more stringent airport security, and - wait for it - keep Muslims from coming into this country! If certain "grieving , emotional, PTSD" people worried about "our freedoms", then what about certain students at that high school (undoubtedly many seniors are 18, some likely even 19) who experienced something just as traumatic who are worried about their safety in school?

Of course, one solution is to simply raise the age for doing ALL adult things to 21 (including the legal age of adulthood itself). However, that comes at the price of saying 20 year olds typically lack the mental competency to die for this country, thereby reducing the potential combat personnel potential of our armed forces. Is that a price you find worth paying?
Well that's different cuz......

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Weren't the Usenet days neat? At least back then SOURCES were important unlike in todays world...
Thanks. I learned a lot about aquariums, skiing, and logical reasoning in those groups. AFU was a favorite.
"I still have a sock puppet and am reluctant to use emoticons"

Old 02-23-2018, 08:37 AM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so ban all guns all are guns,,, all shoot rounds (bullets )
so why don't you be honest... you like most of the fascists liberals wants to ban ALL GUNS
how very Nazi of you... hitler did the same
Oh well it had to happen at some point, someone finally invoked Godwin's law lol.

I don't know any fascist liberals so I can't really address your accusation that they want to ban all guns, but I am a liberal as is my husband who is a decorated USMC Vietnam vet and we both own guns...

Old 02-23-2018, 08:38 AM

2,646 posts, read 1,845,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
The common thread in these shootings should reveal the solution.

1-a large number of unsuspecting victims in a confined area, and 2-declaring the structure "gun-free".

Ever see a sign on your neighbor's yard saying "GUN-FREE HOME"?

The Left's determination to disarm the public is eternal. Taking advantage of these horrible events is their life's blood.

Wake up America.
The issue should not be "left," or "right," it should be an American problem.

No one is taking advantage, unless it is people with closed minds, following the NRA's talking points.

Why do we need war grade weapons on the streets? This is a human issue.

This is an epidemic in America. Have you noticed? It is the future leaders of America, who are finally stepping up, I am both heartbroken (BECAUSE NO ONE HAS REALLY STOPPED THIS MADNESS,) and proud that these young Americans, know what is going on.

People, carrying weapons all of the time, drinking, losing their tempers in traffic, killing, because they can?

Where is this going to stop?????? Congress needs to get their heads out of their behinds and step up to the plate and DO THE RIGHT THING. BRING BACK THE BAN ON ASSUALT WEAPONS. IMO

If I had the money, I would buy all the assault weapons and destroy, or give them to law enforcement or our military. I know...............blast me out for my freedom of speech. I'd kind of like to go to the store, church, movie, without having the thought, I may be shot............silly, me.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Well maybe people don't want grieving , emotional, PTSD children trying to dictate weather they can lawfully and responsibly own a fire arm.

That is their right to do as such. Likewise, you have the same right to not view and/or listen

These are people that have been through a traumatic experience and don't have enough real world experience to be thrown/paraded on to TV by CNN to tell the country that they should give up their firearms.

It does not get anymore real than being shot at, fearing for your life, and witnessing your friends being killed

Nobody wouldn't have known who the majority of these children were if CNN didn't throw them on TV to push their anti-gun agenda.
Why bother to watch the aftermath, if you are not concerned?

The tree fell with a loud and resonating thunk. If it's too loud for your ears, I suggest using your ear pro.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM

1,704 posts, read 749,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Perhaps, or could it be that they're poor? I'm surprised you didn't blame the NRA since (according to you) they're responsible for everything...

BTW, do you work for CNN?
No, the NRA ins't responsible for everything bad here in the USA.

However, they are responsible for all war weapon distribution, sales, and social acceptance within our country. That would mean that they're also responsible for much unnecessary American carnage resulting from all these mass-shootings, as well.

I don't blame the NRA for illegal immigration or cruelty to animals though. They get a free pass on those atrocities.

Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,014,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Except the AR-15 is not an assault rifle.
only one difference. Auto VS semi-auto...........

Old 02-23-2018, 08:40 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Once again, a reasonable solution to gun violence - allowing teachers that wish to undergo training and carry a firearm to do so - has been proposed, and rather than give it any actual consideration the anti-gun crowd immediately dismisses it. Why is that? What is it about having armed teachers that scares these people into such hysterics?

While the anti-gun crowd is busy telling us that armed teachers won't work and more security is too expensive (because cost is more important than stopping violence) and the only solution is to ban guns and maybe take a look at mental health, the next shooter is most likely already planning his entrance into the limelight. And rather than actually looking at any options that could work, they ***** and moan over the "blood of children."

While y'all are giving us the doom and gloom scenarios of what might happen if we arm teachers, 18 states already allow teachers and/or administrators to carry. That's enough to give us a fairly good glimpse into whether or not arming teachers is safe on an everyday basis. Since the contention seems to be that teachers will shoot kids or kids will subdue teachers and take their guns, where are the news stories about such incidents happening? In some states, teachers have been allowed to carry for four or more years. Is that not time enough for bad things to happen? Seriously, if these things were going to happen why haven't they happened in these states?

Why are you all so quick to dismiss any ideas that aren't your own? What is the real fear here? That a solution other than gun bans might actually be effective? Is banning guns really so important to you that you refuse to consider any other options? You're willing to continue leaving our children defenseless so that you can get your way, yet you accuse those of us who point out how badly gun bans have failed of sacrificing children to the 2nd Amendment. Grow the hell up and actually listen to the other side of the debate for once, without your assumed moral superiority.

That is really the bottom line for Leftists - The ideology of Gun Banning is all important to them.

Aaron Feis reacted. But because he was disarmed by law, his only choice to protect his students was to shield them with his own body. He was willing to die for those children and that's exactly what happened. The armed County Deputy Sheriff cowered in fear and the un-armed Teacher gave his life to protect the kids.

The Leftists defend the cowering Deputy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies