Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2018, 06:47 PM

15,697 posts, read 9,457,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Please provide evidence of a single NRA member who has killed anyone in cold blooded murder.
I'm tired f people who think that if a killer belongs to a certain group or political party, that it somehow reflects on the group or political party. One of the first claims of this creep in Florida was that he was a registered Democrat. Later some folks said he was a Trump supporter. I believe that it doesn't matter one way or the other. It's like saying that since Stephen Paddock liked country music -- and I don't know that he did, just saying -- then country music is to blame for what he did. Marylin Manson got some blame for Columbine. Not entirely sure they killers even liked Marlin Manson. I like his music now. Does that mean I'm going to shoot up a place?

I saw a stat that no mass shooter has even been a member of the NRA. I don't have the proof of that, but I'm willing to accept that. OK, so what does it mean? Mass shooters are typically loners and usually won't belong to a lot of groups. A lot of them are young, like high school aged, and might not even think of joining the NRA. Again, what does it prove? I bet most of them had drivers licenses. Maybe that's the connection! Aha, I think we found the link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 06:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,660,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Seems like the school deputy was just the democrat sheriff's scapegoat.
There are more than 1 sheriff's deputy that looks bad so think the sheriff maybe did single out the SRO---
He had 4 deputies who didn't go inside when there was doubt about the shooter's location/action
They should have been doing triage w/the victims and they didn't do that either...
Sheriff deputies in FL are not really front line cops...

Old 02-23-2018, 06:56 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,925,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
are you sure that the coach who drove that boy who saw Cruz loading the gun away from the school is one of the ones who was killed by him?

I would think that would be a story the MSM would tend to pick up on
We have heard lot about the students who are alive and trying to change gun laws
The stories about the bravery of those who died have not been revisited with the move vocal living advocates...
Yep. Stories clearly say that the Kid went to the Coach who was a campus security person. There was only one Coach that was a security person.
Of course it's not getting a ton of play as it makes the Sheriffs who all had either equal or superior fire power look like azz hats that they are AND, destroys the argument that people should give up their guns and let the police protect them since it's painfully obvious LEO's can't or won't.

Quote:
After his encounter with the soon-to-be shooter, the student, 15, ran for help, alerting the hero coach who gave his life while shielding students from the gunfire.

After the chance encounter, McKenna rushed out of the building to find help. He ran into Aaron Feis, the assistant football coach and school security guard, and told him what happened.

“I told him I saw a gun,” said McKenna. “He said, ‘Let me go check it out.’ Then he drove me to the baseball field, dropped me off, and went back to the school. That’s the last I saw of him.”
'Get Out of Here. Things are Gonna Get Messy': Student, 15, Says Florida Gunman Spared His Life | Tribunist

Quote:
Chris went out the closest door and told Aaron Feis, a football coach and security guard, what he had seen. Mr. Feis took Chris on his golf cart to a baseball field, about 500 feet away from the Freshman Building.

“He said, ‘Stay here,’” Chris recalled. “So I stood there for a little bit, and then I heard shots go off, and from there I ran fast as I could to Walmart.” Other students later said Mr. Feis had died shielding people from gunfire.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/16/u...e=sectionfront

Old 02-23-2018, 07:03 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,660,493 times
Yes my mistake for not paying better attention
I google some stories
I hate to read/listen to stories about people who are killed in mass shootings
That guy was someone who was helping coach but was not a licensed teacher
So he was paid lot worse than teachers who don't make a lot in FL anyway
I hope someone helps his wife sue the estate of Nik Cruz since he does have money or the state would fund a scholarship for his daughter at state school---
So that something good comes from her father's sacrifice...
Could be hard for his family to come back from this...

I posted before that when I taught all the admin staff and the school resource officer who was a serving city policeman with our district paying 1/2 his salary and the city paying the other and even the janitors had radios to use to stay in contact
I find it hard to believe that this school with so many resources--it is a monied area--would have a guy working as a security guard who didn't have some mean of notifying the office if there was a problem

Did he have a cell phone?
Did he call a 911 or notify the office about Cruz being there w/a weapon???
Is there any kind of a timeline showing what happened...

Old 02-23-2018, 07:33 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,132,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
So the news is reporting several Broward County officers decided not to go, even when Coral Springs of arrived on the scene , they still didn’t go in.

I can’t bkame them, I’m sure cops are tired of being outgunned. More reason why the average person should have that much firepower
Okay, so now that we have quite a few armed men, and the excuse is they were outgunned. Just give them a tank next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
And it gets worse. When Coral Springs Police showed up at the scene 3 other Broward County Deputies were waiting outside behind their vehicles with guns drawn but not entering the school. They sent the second responders in?!?!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/so...7Kz&ocid=edgsp
My daughter attends a school in Coral Springs and they really pushed the idea of entering a building with an active shooter. The SRO at her school basically said that if somebody is shot, they are walking right over you to get to the shooter.

I guess Coral Springs PD gets different training than Broward County Officers.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:38 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,404,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
FWIW, he was a lifelong republican. He’s been a cop his whole adult life, and is the son of a homicide detective.

He only switched parties in order to run for office.
Well FWIW he must be a really good Dem because the county party named him Democrat of the Year either last year or the year before lol!

Old 02-23-2018, 07:40 PM

13,389 posts, read 6,404,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
There are more than 1 sheriff's deputy that looks bad so think the sheriff maybe did single out the SRO---
He had 4 deputies who didn't go inside when there was doubt about the shooter's location/action
They should have been doing triage w/the victims and they didn't do that either...
Sheriff deputies in FL are not really front line cops...
That may be true where you live, but its not true everywhere. The Sheriff's Deputies in the Republican county I live in central FL are no different than city cops. They do the same things and more and most of them, especially the Sheriffs are usually people who have had street cop experience in cities.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,834,045 times
Quote:
Well FWIW he must be a really good Dem because the county party named him Democrat of the Year either last year or the year before lol!
Wow he must've been a Jeff Flake type RINO.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:45 PM

18,428 posts, read 15,171,853 times
Quote:
It’s not like a sheriff makes policy though. If he got that “honor” it was likely because they like him as a sheriff. Though it is a little odd considering he has had 10 excessive force complaints against him.

...even more odd that he beat all 10.

Old 02-23-2018, 07:47 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,834,045 times
Quote:
That may be true where you live, but its not true everywhere. The Sheriff's Deputies in the Republican county I live in central FL are no different than city cops. They do the same things and more and most of them, especially the Sheriffs are usually people who have had street cop experience in cities.
In my city it's the sheriff deputies who aggressively confront criminals, while most of the city cops are more nancyboy and hands off probably from democrat leadership from the mayor on down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies