Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Other than the shooter, who do you think is most responsible for the tragedy
Youtube, for deleting the warning comments of someone on the video 1 0.71%
The FBI 19 13.57%
The sheriff and his deputies 19 13.57%
The NRA 21 15.00%
Donald Trump 1 0.71%
The Second Amendment 6 4.29%
The FBI AND the sheriff and deputies and maybe Youtube too 51 36.43%
Other 22 15.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 10:46 PM

1,645 posts, read 1,212,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I have never called anyone a gun nut. But you guys automatically say it's because of a mental issue which is just not true. What you are doing is hurting people with mental illness who desperately need help but are afraid to get it because of this stigma of how people view them.
Since I was 21 and I am now 50; I have been called a Gun Nut, also called Tackleberry from the Police Academy movies; and I was buy no means anywhere like him; because I have always liked weapons. And that was to my face.

There have been countless posts on this very board, and in this same sub forum of Politics and Other Controversies; using the term "Gun Nut" and much worse and indicating some kind of sexual preferences to owning a firearm. none of which is true.

A person can love cars, be called a Cr Nut and can think that say a Corvette or Mustang is a really good looking car and would love it.

Others can look a Diamond, or Emerald and think that they are absolutely gorgeous pieces of jewelry.

And other people such as my self can look at H&K P7 and be impressed with it's design and engineering; and think that it is a good looking GUN.

Just like I can't see spending thousands of dollars on a ring, someone else can not see spending over a thousand dollars and a GUN. But that just comes down to objects that we like and have interest in, and are willing to pay and in some cases more for what we want. But neither person is a Nutcase for taking enjoyment in owning any item.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidlo View Post
So zero attention paid to rampant mental illness?

What if parents were responsible for their children until 25?

Might make you think about being a terrible parent.

Gun violence is a threat.

There are millions of guns in the hands of Americans.

Guns will never go away.

Do something to reduce or remove the threat to schools.

An armed shooter could not access my work site. Why am I safe and schools are not? why?
Post 9/11 most office buildings in Manhatten went into overdrive with security. Most of these strategies could be deployed in schools to increase security. All that's necessary is the will and willingness to pay for it, District vs state vs Fed.

Then there's the grounds surrounding the school. Might need a sniper or two on the roof , no different than the way the Secret Service protects minor children of the first and prior families.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:47 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Well. You're a woman. Women own shoes... that's what you do... if not a closet full of shoes that you might wear all pairs in a life time, it's hand bags or jewelry...

You complain about pulling shoes?
That's what you get when you forfeit liberty for a false sense of security you deserve neither security nor liberty.

That's what you get when you trust the government to protect you. Don't fly or don't complain... that simple.
Forfeit liberty?

Really now.

Your little toys aren't going to protect you.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,300,500 times
Another gun free zone shooting tragedy.

Armed administration and teachers could have saved lives today.

Old 02-14-2018, 10:58 PM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
The ceiling tiles in my highschool bathroom would push up. Stand on the toilet tank pop the tile jump up on the cement wall and follow the air ducts...

Used to meet up with my girlfriend at the time to fool around up there...
Put the tile back in place after going up. That was my plan unless I was in shop class... in shop class there were weapons galore. I wouldn't think twice to throw a Porter cable with an extension cord at the gun man or go upside his skull with a 3 foot section of round stock...

If they're Guna run... run in a zig-zag pattern. Get to cover. A barrier that will stop or significantly slow a bullet. A desk won't do it. Unless it's 1/2 plate steel...
My little grandson just turned 6. His teacher is a 66 year old woman. I doubt if either of them could manage to climb through ceiling tiles, zig zag or throw a porter cable at a shooter. There are crazy people and evil people all over the world, but no country has had anywhere near the number of school shooting that we have; 300 school shooting since 2013, and the reason for the school shootings here is guns. And in the case of mass shootings it's almost always semi-auto rifles. I don't know why it would be so harmful to anyone's 2A rights to restrict the use of semi-automatic rifles to the shooting range. If the only way a person can kill a deer is with an AK-47 they aren't much of a hunter. And if that's asking too much, then require people who want a semi-auto to get a special permit for it, much as we do for concealed carry. But for God's sake let's quit saying we can't talk about this because the dead aren't buried yet because if we don't start talking about it we will never quit burying children.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:00 PM

32,052 posts, read 15,037,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Another gun free zone shooting tragedy.

Armed administration and teachers could have saved lives today.
Why do they need to be armed. They don't want to, they are there to teach. How about we do something about gun control. God, this country is so obsessed with guns.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:11 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,560,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Post 9/11 most office buildings in Manhatten went into overdrive with security. Most of these strategies could be deployed in schools to increase security. All that's necessary is the will and willingness to pay for it, District vs state vs Fed.

Then there's the grounds surrounding the school. Might need a sniper or two on the roof , no different than the way the Secret Service protects minor children of the first and prior families.
Probably a little overboard. All they need is metal detectors. When a family court judge was shot in the early ‘90s, courthouses around the country added metal detectors. I know there are some schools that have them, but these types of incidents almost never happen at a school that would want metal detectors.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:13 PM

88,964 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why do they need to be armed. They don't want to, they are there to teach. How about we do something about gun control. God, this country is so obsessed with guns.
There already is gun control at schools. They're gun free zones. Gun control doesn't work because guns aren't the problem. Some people are the problem.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Probably a little overboard. All they need is metal detectors. When a family court judge was shot in the early ‘90s, courthouses around the country added metal detectors. I know there are some schools that have them, but these types of incidents almost never happen at a school that would want metal detectors.
This is absolutely ridiculous to have metal detectors in schools. Why do we need that. Our country is more concerned about the 2nd amendment than protecting our society. All we do is pray for the ones who are killed by guns...like that helps. It's outrageous we care more about the second amendment than lives.

Old 02-14-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There already is gun control at schools. They're gun free zones. Gun control doesn't work because guns aren't the problem. Some people are the problem.
If guns were hard to get then this wouldn't be a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies