Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Only in the vague minds of big-govt liberals, to whom government is all, does all, provides all, and charges huge taxes for it. It is so burdensome that poor people are completely crushed under its weight.

So the big-govt fanatics add theft to their other transgressions, taking even more money from those who earn more and handing it to the poor.
a personal attack, containing no meaningful rebuttal (i.e. you're wrong bc you're a liberal)

Quote:
When Big Government "cares about social mobility", that's a sure sign that they are doing too much and charging too much.
followed by you forgetting what we were even talking about

good job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 03:07 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,224,848 times
Zero seems about right.

Why should anyone be robbed of the income needed to live?

Old 04-16-2018, 03:13 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Zero seems about right.

Why should anyone be robbed of the income needed to live?
Because police, fire, military, construction crews, etc aren't a charity. They have to get their salaries somehow....

Old 04-16-2018, 03:20 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Because police, fire, military, construction crews, etc aren't a charity. They have to get their salaries somehow....
Police and military aren't fire can be volunteer based though.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:33 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Police and military aren't fire can be volunteer based though.
Yea they can it just doesn't work as well see USA early 20th century.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:15 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
Abolish police--they're mostly goons who are simple revenue collectors and love to shoot unarmed people.

Abolish the military--this country is just an empire now and thinks it's the world's hall monitor.

Fire can be free-market or volunteer.

Roads and other infrastructure can be built and maintained by the private sector. The government is just a middle man who gets in the way.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Abolish police--they're mostly goons who are simple revenue collectors and love to shoot unarmed people.

Abolish the military--this country is just an empire now and thinks it's the world's hall monitor.

Fire can be free-market or volunteer.

Roads and other infrastructure can be built and maintained by the private sector. The government is just a middle man who gets in the way.
As I couldn't necessarily defend myself from an armed attacker, I take comfort in knowing there are police around

Fire can't be free market. We've seen the stories in the news of private fire departments not putting out fires of people who couldn't pay

And likewise, I don't want to pay tolls, which is the only non tax way to fund roads

Old 04-16-2018, 04:51 PM

8,750 posts, read 3,118,763 times
Quote:
As I couldn't necessarily defend myself from an armed attacker, I take comfort in knowing there are police around
Just as long as you're not a black guy with a cellphone in his backyard. (Stephon Clark)
Or a white guy crawling on his stomach in a hotel hallway. (Daniel Shaver)
Or a white lady who called the cops to report a rape in an alley behind her house. (Justine Damond)

Quote:
Fire can't be free market. We've seen the stories in the news of private fire departments not putting out fires of people who couldn't pay
Why not? If there were competing fire departments and volunteer fire departments people would be covered, just like there are charity hospitals.

Quote:
And likewise, I don't want to pay tolls, which is the only non tax way to fund roads
Better to pay fees for things I actually use, rather than being forced at gunpoint to pay for things I don't. All roads should be privately-owned, anyway.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeldor View Post
Just as long as you're not a black guy with a cellphone in his backyard. (Stephon Clark)
Or a white guy crawling on his stomach in a hotel hallway. (Daniel Shaver)
Or a white lady who called the cops to report a rape in an alley behind her house. (Justine Damond)

Why not? If there were competing fire departments and volunteer fire departments people would be covered, just like there are charity hospitals.

Better to pay fees for things I actually use, rather than being forced at gunpoint to pay for things I don't. All roads should be privately-owned, anyway.
No, roads should NOT be privately owned. Transportation infrastructure is a common, not some turnkey revenue generator

Old 04-16-2018, 05:00 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies