Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what is the main issue for mass killings
Guns 52 30.77%
Mental Health 84 49.70%
Coping skills 33 19.53%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 08:17 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Guns. See how many people you can kill with a knife. I guarantee it won't be as many.

We had guns 30-40 years ago....even semi automatics.

Why didn't we have mass shootings every other week then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
I don't think the amount of firearms has changed in the last 30+ years. I think the way We are raising and/or ignoring our kids today is a big issue.
Exactly.

We are raising a generation of technology addicted, Ritalin fueled loners and social misfits with nothing to believe in and no social skills beyond the number of "likes" they get on Facebook.

And we wonder why one of them occasionally flips out and shoots up a school?

And people want to blame the guns.......

Old 02-18-2018, 08:24 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
We had guns 30-40 years ago....even semi automatics.

Why didn't we have mass shootings every other week then?
Semi auto firearms started to become common in the early 1900's, so we've had them well over 100 years. They became VERY common, and available to the general public, very inexpensively due to MILITARY surplus right after WWII, and that ended 73 years ago. So when all the emotional, bed wetters talk about "weapons of war", they've always been available, and common to the general public from the very beginning, until the armed forces started to make all their small arms FULLY automatic, except for the pistols of course.

Much of the reason many anti (legal) gun advocates believe what the believe is ignorance of guns, how they operate, and history. With the country awash in inexpensive semi auto rifles, and pistols in the 1940's, 50's, 60's etc, why didn't school shooting occur then?

The reason Great Britain implemented gun control after WWI was the were afraid of veterans who saw the unnecessary carnage accepted, and promoted by their own government. WWI was a meat grinder where millions died for nothing. Yet the elites remained unscathed. Their government feared retribution from trained, armed veterans, so they took their guns. No 2A there.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:28 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
If the mentally ill or those without coping skills didn't have easy access to guns there'd be no real question to ask here.
I totally agree with this, this is a step in the right direction.....

however, so many people and agencies were warned about Cruz, yet no one acted, why? Those questions should also be asked....why did everyone ignore the facts.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:51 AM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
Everyone wants to blame guns but not address the deeper issues as to why these mass shootings are really happening.
I am old enough to remember when 30 years ago you rarely if ever heard about shootings like what happened yesterday.
Kids had better coping skills then than they do now. People with mental health issues werent allowed to roam the streets like they are today.
What is the main issue:
guns,
coping skills,
or mental health?

choose one and state why?
Guns don't kill people just as cars don't kill people!

It's the person pulling the trigger and the driver of a car that can kill people!

Old 02-18-2018, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Your side's refusal to compromise WILL lead to 2nd amendment repeal, sooner or later.

As Americans urbanize, as the % of people who hunt and/or live in rural areas falls, the pro-gun folks are going to be outnumbered plain and simple.

Liberal's definition of "compromise"......

"Shut up and do what we want......and when that doesn't work we'll tell you what more we want until you have no 2nd amendment rights at all" .

Old 02-19-2018, 05:54 AM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
As much as gun grabbers want to eradicate all firearms in America, its just not going to happen; its pure fantasy. I dont know why anti-gun folks even bring it up. The thought of is just so stupid, IMO.

I truly believe the problem starts at a young age for most, if not all, of these mass shooters. I believe parents (or lack thereof) are failing a lot our children.
I agree that guns don't make decisions for themselves and grabbing guns is impractical as well as unconstitutional. Still I want laws that ban weapons that are only of military value. That way, if someone is caught before committing a massacre, through social media or otherwise, merely having an arsenal is a crime. If the police or FBI had picked up on Nikolas Cruz, Devin Patrick Kelley or Stephen Paddock before the respective massacres, they would have been helpless other than to urge him to get help.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:17 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times
Politicians and they’re willingness to accept the dirty money from the NRA. More Republicans are complicit as they represent the majority of gun owners.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:31 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
I think there is a correlation to with the violence in movies and video games and the fact kids today can't cope with problems like my generation did 30 years ago. Not to mention kids are doped up on all sorts of meds. I think violent video games, if not removed from society, should be make only available to people over 21 or maybe older.

Quote:
Originally Posted by First24 View Post
I really hate to say this, but you cannot discount that there may be a correlation between our love for shoot em' up action movies and video games coupled with easy access to assault weapons.

Certainly not suggesting the sensor of movies and games. America does need to make it much more difficult the obtain assault weapons.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:32 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,249,287 times
Doesn't matter. same deranged people can plow people down on the sidewalk with a car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
Guns. See how many people you can kill with a knife. I guarantee it won't be as many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies