Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 07:57 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve40th View Post
Without arguing people, please research how Israel does security at its schools. They haven't had a shooting in 40 years. 40 Years.
In 2008 a lone gunman killed 8 students at a religious school in Jerusalem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercaz_HaRav_massacre

Quote:
But, since no one wants to talk about anything other than meds and guns as the problem, lets see if we as adults can talk about safeguarding our kids.
"Gun lobbyists who might think Israel hands out guns freely to keep its citizens safe might be less enamored of Israel's actual gun laws, which are much stricter than those in the U.S. For one thing, Israeli law does not guarantee the right to bear arms as the U.S. Constitution does."

"Israel allows its people to acquire firearms only if they can prove their professions or places of residence put them in danger. The country relies on its security services, not armed citizens, to prevent terror attacks."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-...schools-claim/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 07:58 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
You can't buy an automatic weapon in the US.

I've found that about 99% of people arguing for gun control have 100% ignorance of guns, gun history, gun laws, and regulations regarding purchasing guns in the US.

But it doesn't stop them pretending to know what they are talking about.
Yes you can buy an automatic weapon in the US. I happen to be licensed to sell them. Want a Browning .50 caliber machinegun? I got one in stock for $48000. How about a MG42 WWII German machine gun with the fastest cyclic rate of fire? Got on on consignment.

Got a bunch of Thompson sub machine guns, $10000 each. I even have a STG 44 but that one is pricey.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:59 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Shootings happen outside of the schools here in Chicago because most of the schools have metal detectors at the door. Pretty sad that it has come to this though.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Heck, why not issue everyone an AK-15 with their birth certificates. That would solve everything.

According to many - everyone owning a gun or semi automatic is the answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
You have misquoted the rules. The law requires A guard for schools with more than 100 students. He checks the grounds and school 30 minutes before school starts and stays at the entrance during school hours. He may or may not be armed, as local wishes dictate.

There are no armed people roaming the schools, no armed teachers, etc. They don't allow that sort of proliferation of firearms. I do think it is a good idea to have the guard with the job description Israeli school guards have.
Thanks for the clarification. I feel like no one read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
In 2008 a lone gunman killed 8 students at a religious school in Jerusalem.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercaz_HaRav_massacre

"Gun lobbyists who might think Israel hands out guns freely to keep its citizens safe might be less enamored of Israel's actual gun laws, which are much stricter than those in the U.S. For one thing, Israeli law does not guarantee the right to bear arms as the U.S. Constitution does."

"Israel allows its people to acquire firearms only if they can prove their professions or places of residence put them in danger. The country relies on its security services, not armed citizens, to prevent terror attacks."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/israel-...schools-claim/
Well, hey, OP - let's do things like Israel does!

Old 02-16-2018, 08:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Every kid should walk around clothed in bulletproof armor. And a bulletproof helmet. And every adult, too, for that matter. Everybody should also be armed with an AK-47. They should teach kids how to operate their AK-47 even before they learn to read and write. It would be an NRA dream!

Why not?

I knew how to operate a rifle, shotgun and pistol, before I could read and write.
It is a good foundation to start from.
I was bird hunting @ 6 yo.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:01 AM

7,800 posts, read 4,400,201 times
Given the world these "conservatives" envision all of us living in, a dire, hopeless dystopian future, the USA should change its motto from "In God We Trust" to "Abandon all hope ye who enter here."

Mad Max is a Republican paradise.

Last edited by TreeBeard; 02-16-2018 at 08:32 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 08:01 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
psychos havent been very successful in walking into prisons and simply shooting a lot of people have they?

They have guns to shoot back.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:02 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
how come they dont happen in Antarctica or on military bases then?
Did you forget about Ft. Hood shooting? Deadliest shooting on a military base.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Fort_Hood_shooting

Old 02-16-2018, 08:02 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Why not just have a security gate at the front entrance of the school where visitors have to be buzzed in?

During school hours all doors to the outside would be locked so people could not get in but people could get out in the event of a fire. If a shooter decides to challenge the front entrance the security will slow him down. If the guard is armed he will will be first target. If he is trained he might actually stop the threat right there but if not he will buy time for the school to go into lock down mode.

The problem is that we have many schools across this country and they are all easy targets for murderers seeking to get their 15 minutes of infamy.

Of course anything that we can do to secure the school stops at the doors.
What is going to stop a deranged idiot from buying a truck and driving it through the kids lined up to get on the bus?

We could ban guns, knives, pipe bombs, pointed sticks and everything else that could be used to kill but evil will still find a way.
As explained by me in a previous post... all the schools my kids have gone to in the USA have implemented security measures. All the doors except the front door are always locked and you can't get in from outside...but you can get out.

The front doors are the only ones with access in and you are required to go in -- present your driver's license and get a badge to get in.

At my youngest's high school... There is also a barrier to get through. Once the morning rush to get to school is over -- each car has to check in with the gated barrier. You then are directed to the office to get approval.

Kids are given passes to get through the barriers for their parking lots. You can't get in to the lots without going thorough the security or having the pass.

As I said - -then the doors are all locked to get in except the front door. Truth is -- the kids will open the other doors for other kids. There are patrols around the school but they can't be everywhere all the time.

Even with all that -- people can wander on to campus if they really want.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:03 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Believe it or not but I actually think some sort of gun safety and training classes should be a requirement for at least high school age kids. But the whole 'everybody should walk around armed' mindset is sick, frankly.

Some here are talking about emulating Israel's gun laws. Maybe that would be a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies