Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 06:48 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times

Advertisements

We've got lots of threads arguing the pros and cons of bans so let's not go there please. My question is this:

If a new Assault Weapons ban (say Feinstein's proposed ban, put out after the Vegas shooting) were to pass in the House and Senate and ended up on Trump's desk, would he sign it?

My gut says Trump would, even though he promised to stand up for the 2nd Amendment.

Why? Because he's Trump. The guy built his billion dollar empire by telling people what they wanted to hear and then doing what's profitable to him regardless. He has an extensive track record of screwing over people time and time again in business but some how we've forgotten that.

I think Trump would deal, and use signing a ban as a negotiating chip to get something he wants from Democrats. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 06:50 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
An Assault Weapons Ban similar to the last one? No. It was ineffective then, and would be ineffective now. Plus rifles are very rarely used in crime anyway. Statistically insignificant.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:55 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,391,525 times
there no defination of an assault rifle, A ruger 22 pinker has the same characterize as an ar15

Old 02-16-2018, 06:57 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,813,426 times
I agree, an AW ban will not solve the problem... but when have legislators been good at solving problems?

Not my question though... would Trump ultimately throw gun owners under the bus for political gain even though he claims to be their champion?

Old 02-16-2018, 06:59 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Tough question, it really depends on which one of his "owners" has the most influence at the time the bill comes to his desk.

The NRA would have none of it, but if Putin wanted to disarm American's and gave Trump the order to stand down, it would be interesting to see which one would win.

Based on Trump's inaction with the (now) KNOWN fact that Russia is positioned to meddle in the 2018-midterms, I would have to give a slight edge to Putin, so my vote is, by a narrow margin, that he would sign it.*

*On the other hand, if Putin wants to arm us all to the hilt, and let us continue to kill each other off, making his future plans a little easier, then of course he won't sign it, as he'd have Putin and NRA telling him not to.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:00 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
I agree, an AW ban will not solve the problem... but when have legislators been good at solving problems?

Not my question though... would Trump ultimately throw gun owners under the bus for political gain even though he claims to be their champion?
When Trump was a candidate, I was always leery of him as a DEAL MAKER. Would he sell out our 2A Rights for something that he PERSONALLY valued more? I leaned towards that yes he would. Now that he has been in office for over a year, I don't think he will, as he seems to be keeping his word. Always, a possibility though.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:01 AM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
there no defination of an assault rifle, A ruger 22 pinker has the same characterize as an ar15
"assault weapon" is a term used by politicians and their minions to elicit an emotional response.

As to the question asked by the o.p.; never trust a politician with your rights.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

I was talking about this, this morning with my husband (who is a Trump supporter). He is doubtful that any major legislation with regards to limiting gun ownership, or the types of guns owned would pass.

My husband himself doesn't want to see any changes in gun laws. Thinking about our friends (who are also Trump supporters), I can't imagine them wanting changes either.

I was a Hillary supporter, so my opinion doesn't really hold to the OPs initial question...

But, as much as I would like to see some changes to legislation to make a repeat of this more difficult, I don't think the President would sign off on it because a large portion of Americans still value their own personal 2nd amendment rights as the primary priority. My husband views any changes (restricting the kinds of guns, etc) as a violation.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:07 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,339,729 times
The Clinton gun reform (i wouldn't even call it a ban) didn't work last time, nor will it work this time. Whats that saying...."doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results"

I highly doubt Trump will sign any gun control bill. I highly doubt any gun control legislation will even be debated in congress. I mean a bunch of Republicans got shot up in a field by some leftist loon (one almost died) and what happened? They shrugged if off like "oh man that guy is crazy".

Old 02-16-2018, 07:11 AM

37,175 posts, read 19,194,865 times
He can't. Trump is still under lease to the NRA. They tell him what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies