Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2018, 06:02 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Its ridiculous. So now you need a college education to express your opinion on politics?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9f530f1758d8
Nope! I think you're missing the point. Joe my neighbor isn't college educated either, and his opinion is worth just as much as mine, yours or the basketball player in question. No more, and no less. The difference is, my neighbor doesn't seek out (or have available) a platform with potentially millions of people listening to voice his opinions on various issues

The main problem, as I see it, doesn't have anything to do with the widely known sports figures, movie/TV actors or famous singers expressing their opinions, it's that so many people assume because they are famous and successful at their craft....be it bouncing/catching/throwing a ball, being able to pretend things convincingly while acting on screen, or being able to sing very well, they obviously must also be experts on political issues and thereby I should listen to them.....and give them more credibility than the opinions of my neighbor Joe, who can't bounce a ball very well and isn't famous.

It's kind of like when you medical insurance company overrules your doctors advice and refuses to pay for treatment he/she has recommended. Who's the expert here, and who's not ? Who should you listen to ? The one with all the money, but not much medical training, or the one with all the medical training who most likely isn't rich and famous ?

Last edited by jasper1372; 02-17-2018 at 06:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2018, 06:13 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,964 times
Two things I don't get. First, why are athletes over paid? If you believe in the free market, and the market rate for Lebron is $100 million, that's capitalism. Secondly, no one complains about the plumber across the street using his "platform" of his front yard to spew his political thoughts with yard signs. It seems that you're complaining that one has access to the microphone.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:37 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,396,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
So people shouldn't give their opinion?
Only about the US.

If he gives it about the French elections, he might get indicted for interference and their president might be lambasted for US collusion.

Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 PM

26,491 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Of course he did. It's well known and clearly documented. I'm not particularly a basketball fan, and not remotely a fan of the Cavaliers or LeBron James, and i'd heard this years ago, as part of the legend of King James.

Here's the relevant statement from the LeBron James Wikipedia page; "James unsuccessfully petitioned for a change to the NBA's draft eligibility rules, which required prospective players to have at least a high school diploma, in an attempt to enter the 2002 NBA draft."

You are right, but is there anything wrong with that?

You don't know how long of a career you can have due to injuries...it is hard to turn down millions when you are young.

Sidney Crosby was picked up by a minor league team at age 13 and making a small amount of money at age 14. Good for him. If you can get it, why not?

Education is important, but not going to college doesn't guarantee you haven't picked up knowledge of how the world works. Meanwhile, some people can get their MA and still be clueless about a lot of basic things.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:25 AM

3,565 posts, read 1,921,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Nope! I think you're missing the point. Joe my neighbor isn't college educated either, and his opinion is worth just as much as mine, yours or the basketball player in question. No more, and no less. The difference is, my neighbor doesn't seek out (or have available) a platform with potentially millions of people listening to voice his opinions on various issues
You should tell your neighbor about the C-D P&oC Forum.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:35 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
You are right, but is there anything wrong with that?

You don't know how long of a career you can have due to injuries...it is hard to turn down millions when you are young.

Sidney Crosby was picked up by a minor league team at age 13 and making a small amount of money at age 14. Good for him. If you can get it, why not?

Education is important, but not going to college doesn't guarantee you haven't picked up knowledge of how the world works. Meanwhile, some people can get their MA and still be clueless about a lot of basic things.
Nothing wrong with it at all. I wasn't commenting on his actions, or even Ingraham's statement. Someone called her a liar, saying that he never did what she said he did. I was arguing that assertion, nothing else.

Old 02-18-2018, 06:55 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
Man, her racism was really showing there. Shut up and dribble? She might as well called him a slave.
Really? You are such a drama queen.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:03 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Really? You are such a drama queen.
Politicians want to use a popular athlete to increase their popularity. Is this the same as slavery? No, not even close but it is still using someone for your benefit.

This is what the athlete's were commenting on. They were saying that "no, I do not support this person and I'm not going to go and help his popularity".

It is something they are certainly qualified to speak on and something they have every right to speak out against.

Laura has no horse in this race and it is her that should butt out. If an athlete had done the same towards Obama she would not have complained.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:52 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,582,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
It is not a surprise that one of the Fox News blonde fembots said racist stuff.
So, you're a racist sexist.

What about LI's statement was racist?

Please be specific.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
The old white geezers that watch Fox News love it when they tell the uppity blacks to get back into their place.
Really?

Isn't it liberal whites and blacks who get all nasty and tell uppity conservative blacks to get back in line?

Old 02-18-2018, 07:56 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
So, you're a racist sexist.

What about LI's statement was racist?

Please be specific.
Laura (with no greater qualifications to comment than Lebron (probably less actually) is critizing perhaps the greatest BB player ever because he spoke his mind - on Twitter no less. The obvious implication is that Lebron is just some stupid (black) BB player not qualified to discuss national events.

It's a shame that some are so dogmatic in their beliefs they can't see the subtle racist put downs behind this type of reporting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies