Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 05:02 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,508,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree that these meds are overprescribed. I am just wondering how many of the "mass shooters" were on SSRIs. In the stories I've ready, these were mentally ill people who needed to be on something an weren't.
Couldnt find FBI link, but this link shows the people in the last 20 years plus.
https://www.sott.net/article/279716-...t-isnt-weapons
And this talks of the pilot that intentially crashed a plane.
https://www.heise.de/tp/features/Ant...html?seite=all
Dont think for a second that SSRI drugs are not part of the killing problem..
You can add the Vegas shooter Stephen Paddock too..

Old 02-17-2018, 06:12 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
The mass shootings in America correlate with the number of semi automatic rifles and handguns in circulation.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 AM

7,240 posts, read 4,548,286 times
SSRIs and in general, drugs in America are a menace. Many of my co workers are broken. If they are on SSRis they are moody, spacey and over active. If people are on statins they can't remember a lot.

I used to work with older people who lacked logic and made zero sense. All on statins and SSRIs.

Then I went to work with mostly young (20s) -- none on drugs. SOOOO MUCH BETTER. Logic and reason rule again and they all are able to do their work without forgetting things.

Why we won't have a serious discussion on the "Fraud" that is mental health in this country is beyond me. But until we do... we aren't touching gun laws.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:26 AM

993 posts, read 766,848 times
Quote:
I'm certainly not "excusing" these drugs. I wouldn't take them myself. However, there are enormous amounts of people on these medications. Some listed above were the benzodiazapines that people have been on for YEARS. Millions and millions. I think if you take that amount and divide it by the number of murderers, the percentage would be statistically insignificant.

We have so many people on these drugs, honestly, if the drugs were the cause I think we'd be seeing so many more rampages.

I think these people are just totally crazy and either the drugs pushed it farther or didn't do a damn thing when they truly need something done.
To flat out say you would never take these drugs indicates to me that you have never suffered clinical depression.

I have suffered with clinical depression my entire life. I’m 59. 50mg of Zoloft daily changed my life. Along with therapy which is the responsible way to take psychotropic medication if the individual can afford it.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:29 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,658,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post
To flat out say you would never take these drugs indicates to me that you have never suffered clinical depression.

I have suffered with clinical depression my entire life. I’m 59. 50mg of Zoloft daily changed my life. Along with therapy which is the responsible way to take psychotropic medication if the individual can afford it.
Well, without giving too much personal information (but I guess I will), I have tried all of the medications to some degree. After my cancer diagnosis in the 90s, I was plagued with unremitting anxiety. I also have some very light PTSD after a workplace shooting. I found the medications to be extremely bothersome and ramped up my anxiety tenfold.

I am not against them and I can see where they would help with depression because they have a stimulating effect. But they are definitely not for me.

I'm sorry you took it personally as a slam against the use of them. That was not my intention.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:42 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
Quote:
But time and time again, you generally hear of these people have long term mental illness and issues BEFORE they even started with the SSRIs.

Although I agree that there is overuse of some medications and that they might exaccerbate an existing problem, those on them were put on them for a reason, as stated above.
Kids displaying no problems at all weren't just randomly selected to be given prescriptions

Old 02-17-2018, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The mass shootings in America correlate with the number of semi automatic rifles and handguns in circulation.
Mind explaining? Its obvious a mass SHOOTING is with a gun. All guns, vice bolt action and loaders, are semi automatic. Hand Guns included. The Semi Automatic mindset needs to go away.. Its irrelevant,

Old 02-17-2018, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeonthelittlemountain View Post

This kid was not the normal go to therapist kind of kid. He was in allot of trouble, expelled, temper, as well as his brother. Lost his mom, dad, girlfriend to another guy. He was emotionally awash.. Meds, without counseling or ensuring he is taking them are worthless.

Old 02-17-2018, 06:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alewife View Post
Then ramped up. Almost everyone you know is taking these agitation-inducing goofballs. There are violence ideation black box warnings on the things. This is on the insert for Luvox:
"Warning: Suicidality and Antidepressants
See full prescribing information for complete boxed warning. Increased risk of suicidal thinking and behavior in children, adolescents, and young adults taking antidepressants for major depressive disorder and other psychiatric disorders.
"

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsa...033s003lbl.pdf
so have they released information that this latest shoter was on medication?

Old 02-17-2018, 07:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,960,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
SSRIs are dangerous drugs. But money talks, so they are FDA approved.
There is no conclusive proof that SSRIs cause violence and plenty of proof that they prevent it. Consider the patients who take SSRIs: depressed people who are likely to cause harm to themselves or others evwn when taking NO medication. It logically follows that even if they take the medication, it may not help and they would be violent if they take it. Correlation does not always equal causation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies