U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 11:47 PM

27,100 posts, read 15,654,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Since gun laws and mental health screening seem ineffective, and we're certainly not going to get rid of hundreds of millions of firearms anytime soon, it would seem that our only hope may be to try to detect firearms before they breach the schools.

Metal detectors, sniffer dogs, backpacks on conveyor belts, etc.

I suppose that would somehow step on somebody's rights, though, so why bother?
I wish they could, but where do we get that budget? Magnetometers, hand wands, extra security, sniffer dogs, more police around campus, etc. costs money and states like Arizona already have enough trouble paying its teachers fairly, let alone a security budget.
Also I must say that this shooting started outside the school during a fire drill. The shooter THEN went in and continued as the school shifted into a lockdown from the fire drill. I work at a school, the shooter was able to get on grounds and start the rampage before being in the school.
I work at a school that has three to four main points of entry (a bus loop, the office and two side enterances) two thousand + students and about a hundred or maybe two (contractors) staff on top of that would all need to be screened every day. I know this because I work as a security guard outside of working in a school.

I will agree that we need better early detection. But this is knowing the warning triggers and to take threats credibly. BOTH the police and FBI didn't act enough for this situation and like many other shootings, there were many saying "We knew he'd do this" but how many said something when they saw something. Too many of us don't want to say something because we either want to keep to ourselves or don't want to rock the boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 12:54 AM

10,929 posts, read 4,801,139 times
You ready to pony up the taxes to pay for the TSA/prison security measures for your district's elementary, middle, and high schools?

Old 02-18-2018, 01:05 AM

18,629 posts, read 7,229,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
You ready to pony up the taxes to pay for the TSA/prison security measures for your district's elementary, middle, and high schools?
yes

Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 AM

9,951 posts, read 6,250,243 times
Quote:
Of course.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:13 AM

10,929 posts, read 4,801,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
yes
What about having to drive your kid to school an hour or two earlier because of the time it'd take to get through security? (Think of what a nightmare it usually is to get through airport security, and then consider that it'd be 1000 children of varying levels of cooperation and hyperactivity going through all at once...)

Old 02-18-2018, 01:21 AM

18,629 posts, read 7,229,657 times
Quote:
What about having to drive your kid to school an hour or two earlier because of the time it'd take to get through security? (Think of what a nightmare it usually is to get through airport security, and then consider that it'd be 1000 children of varying levels of cooperation and hyperactivity going through all at once...)
No kids, but if I had them, yes

We must admit all schools today are no safer than a Mideast war zone. We must take the same precautions we would there.

Or else, we should extrapolate the first 45 days this year's school death toll by multiplying it by 8. That equals roughly a years casualty count.

If I had kids, due to this, I would home school now.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:56 AM

9,951 posts, read 6,250,243 times
Quote:
Our neighborhood high school already has metal detectors. The lines don't take an hour or two, that ridiculous. Ten minutes max.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:07 AM

2,928 posts, read 1,524,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

Why are republicans more focused on their gun rights than ours kids
The solution is not to ban rights. People have many rights today and because of them our hands have been tied up. Disruptive students have a "right" to sit in a classroom, but the schools have a "right" to "ban" the backpack. Americans have a "right" to the most powerful gun they can get their hands on. But locations have the "right" to "ban" guns and become gun-free.

"Rights" forces people to deal with things we otherwise wouldn't put up with. Its opposite is "ban" which affects everyone as the saying goes "all it takes is one person to break the rule." Both sides are only looking to force situations on each other through rights and bans.

It's silly really. We obviously can't get along.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:10 AM

2,928 posts, read 1,524,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Since gun laws and mental health screening seem ineffective, and we're certainly not going to get rid of hundreds of millions of firearms anytime soon, it would seem that our only hope may be to try to detect firearms before they breach the schools.

Metal detectors, sniffer dogs, backpacks on conveyor belts, etc.

I suppose that would somehow step on somebody's rights, though, so why bother?
Not only do we need early detection for guns but also people falling through the cracks.

Old 02-18-2018, 03:55 AM

6,118 posts, read 4,125,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There could have been better ways to deal with this that didnt involve making assault rifles super easy for crazy people to get.

But given where we are now, and that it's too late to fix it, students will probably have to accept that their schools need to resemble prisons in order for them to get safely through the day.

They can thank conservatives for this.
None of the recent (or any as far as I remember) events involved an assault rifle. They require finger printing, local CLEO approval, $200 to BATFE, a three+ month wait for backlog and right now around $25,000 for the happy switch.

Assault rifle = Select fire.

Actually I think the thing responsible isn't guns (and while people may focus on guns over kids, it equally applies that others prioritize lack of guns over workable solutions). But as JoeThePhotog states anger issues (and entitlement and disenfranchisement).

Klebold and Harris may have been nuttier than squirrel poop, that didn't make them shoot up Columbine. Adam Lanza may have been autistic, that didn't make him shoot up Sandy Hook. James Holmes was only a passing acquaintance with reality, that didn't make him shoot up Aurora. We already know this because all of them are only a microscopic sample of people with non-normal mental and neurological functions. The stats show that chances are your neighborhood loon isn't the person you need to worry about shooting up your concert, movie theater, school or anywhere else. The one you need to worry about is your 100% mundane neighbor (or even yourself).

The anger and entitlement and disenfranchisement aren't more caused by conservatives than liberals. Indeed it's possible the no losers policies are to a degree responsible because when the world slaps the teen in the face with the reality there are losers and the vast majority are losers, that creates anger and disenfranchisement, specifically anger at institutions promoting there are no losers. Then folks wonder why there are mass homicides at schools. I'll even concede it may not be they're gun free zones, but they are an institution promoting no losers, as is hollywood (we can all live in luxury in Malibu beach houses right? As a detective sergeant). I might be wrong, it's a half baked hypothesis considered over a cup of coffee with half my brain focused on my music playing, but it's something to consider. If you lie to people don't be surprised when they get angry and righteously indignant when the truth comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or