Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 09:46 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
From PBS News Hour, I think.
I don't remember the total figure for NRA political contributions, but 98% of it went to Republicans.
And the single largest chunk was $11 million to Trump.
I hope you are not complaining that Democrats don't get their share? Democrat politicians have always whinged about the NRA.
I just ran across a post that cited a NRA effort to provide free gun safety education to children that was fought and defeated by Democrat local politicians.
If you don't support an organization, why would you be surprised to not get any money from them?
Personally, I don't think they are supporting Trump so much as not supporting people who say in public the NRA causes these shootings by wanting to maintain a part of the Constitution. That is an absurdity and allows Democrat politicians to feel like they are doing something by demonizing the NRA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 09:53 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's never been a "hobby" for gun humpers, it's an obsession, an addiction. Most of these people are disenfranchised and feel powerless in the real world, and guns give them a sense of power that they don't have. You can see how it can spiral out of control, and why they become unhinged at any mention of sensible gun control, as they view it as a direct attempt to remove their imagined "power".
You are so afraid of a piece of metal it's down right hilarious. Even more so your fear of the people, even little girls, using them.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:54 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,522,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
No, Republicans are defenders of terrorism. Shame on all of you for condoning the murder of our children.
That is so foolish and extreme that it indicates a level a hatred for symbols that you have assigned incorrectly that it moves towards neurosis. Republican do not defend terrorism. Democrats send them money when they support the PLA and such groups.
Terrorists are people who attack large groups of people with different ideology or religion or politics for desire to control the mass of people and are willing to murder hundreds of millions of them.
Republicans think people should work for a living and not live off of the money taken from other citizens.
Nobody is condoning any murder here.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
There was polling after Newtown that 91% of Americans supported expanded background checks and there was even one statistic, according to Joe Biden, that 80% of NRA households also supported expanded background checks.

However, the leadership of the NRA, people like LaPierre and Larry Pratt (Pres. of Gun Owners of America) will refuse to compromise, even when a "A" rated Senator like W. Va. Senator Joe Mancin tried to close the gun show loophole after Newtown.

They, instead, went after Mancin., in the same manner LaPierre gave his infamous speech after Newtown ("The only thing that will stop a bad guy with a guy is a good guy with a gun")

Skip to the 42:00 mark of the NRA video I posted for the breakdown on what happened after Newtown. The NRA will not even commit to the smallest of compromises, even when a majority of the membership would support such a compromise. (That majority is not represented by the extreme right on this forum)

Question

Percent support/favor

Quinnipiac University
June 2017
Do you support or oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers?
94%

Washington University American Panel Survey
July 2016
Do you support or oppose requiring background checks for all gun buyers, no matter where the gun is purchased?
84%

CBS News
June 2016
Do you favor or oppose a federal law requiring background checks on all potential gun buyers?
89%

Morning Consult
June 2016
Do you support requiring all sellers to run background checks on anyone who buys a gun?
86%*

Public Policy Polling
Mar. 2016
Do you support or oppose requiring a criminal background check of every person who wants to buy a firearm?
84%

CBS News/New York Times
Jan.2016
Do you favor or oppose a federal law requiring background checks on all potential gun buyers?
88%

Do 90% of Americans support background checks for all gun sales? | PolitiFact Wisconsin
All this silliness is just noise for most of Americans that just exchange firearms in their garages all over the Country. No one needs to pass a BGC to own a firearm. It might not be legal to own but it's legal to purchase.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:06 AM

5,913 posts, read 3,184,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
That is so foolish and extreme that it indicates a level a hatred for symbols that you have assigned incorrectly that it moves towards neurosis. Republican do not defend terrorism. Democrats send them money when they support the PLA and such groups.
Terrorists are people who attack large groups of people with different ideology or religion or politics for desire to control the mass of people and are willing to murder hundreds of millions of them.
Republicans think people should work for a living and not live off of the money taken from other citizens.
Nobody is condoning any murder here.
Terrorism is the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims. That, my dear, is the NRA and the Republican party.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:09 AM

19,743 posts, read 22,650,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I wonder, do you believe there is something in the middle when it comes to gun owners. Is every gun owner a gun nut? Does every gun owner collect guns as a hobby? I only ask because your comment doesn't leave much room for all those people out there who own guns for reasons other than collection or target practice. Many, like myself, own weapons for the sole purposes of home defense and hunting. You see, there are a lot of bad people out there who do a lot of bad things all the time. And if the day ever comes when one of these people chooses me or my family as a target, at least I know I stand a chance at defending myself and my family. And I'm not a trophy hunter. I hunt for meat, part of which I donate to be used at local shelters. Those are the reasons I own guns. I am not a gun nut, and the fact that I own guns and want to continue to own guns does not make me responsible for the actions of lesser human beings. I have no problem with improved background checks or regulations against certain kinds of weapons or ammo. What I do have a problem with are knee jerk reactions and comments.
I'm an avid hunter and firearm owner. I don't agree with the ease and accessibility of firearms. I strongly advocate for stricter background checks, mandatory training and certification as well as potentially reducing access to certain classes of firearms. I've been around firearms all my life, my parents made me take the NRA safety course prior to obtaining my first .22 and single shot shotgun.

In order for me to obtain a license to hunt- I am required to attend a Hunter Safety Course (which in Montana is FANTASTIC- it not only covers safety, but provides lessons on how each type of action works, safe handling afield, bear safety awareness- It is VERY comprehensive).

In order for me to obtain and continue to hold a CCW- I have to be capable of demonstrating proficiency with a CW (through training or a DD-214). I have to go through a rigorous background check, be fingerprinted.. It's not a God given right- It is a right afforded to citizens by my Local LEO only after one proves competency and lack of criminality.

These are all things I must do as a responsible firearm owner, hunter and citizen.

Furthermore I never transfer a firearm to ANYONE without having the purchaser go through a 3rd party to perform a background check. That's my choice, but silly to think I can literally sell my firearm to anyone without any background check what so ever.

There are a number of my friends that are willing to look beyond the NRA and the hyperbole. There are alternatives, and its' become a more frequent topic of discussion in my circles.

Good example-
Gun Owners for Responsible Ownership

Old 02-18-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I'm an avid hunter and firearm owner. I don't agree with the ease and accessibility of firearms. I strongly advocate for stricter background checks, mandatory training and certification as well as potentially reducing access to certain classes of firearms. I've been around firearms all my life, my parents made me take the NRA safety course prior to obtaining my first .22 and single shot shotgun.

In order for me to obtain a license to hunt- I am required to attend a Hunter Safety Course (which in Montana is FANTASTIC- it not only covers safety, but provides lessons on how each type of action works, safe handling afield, bear safety awareness- It is VERY comprehensive).

In order for me to obtain and continue to hold a CCW- I have to be capable of demonstrating proficiency with a CW (through training or a DD-214). I have to go through a rigorous background check, be fingerprinted.. It's not a God given right- It is a right afforded to citizens by my Local LEO only after one proves competency and lack of criminality.

These are all things I must do as a responsible firearm owner, hunter and citizen.

Furthermore I never transfer a firearm to ANYONE without having the purchaser go through a 3rd party to perform a background check. That's my choice, but silly to think I can literally sell my firearm to anyone without any background check what so ever.

There are a number of my friends that are willing to look beyond the NRA and the hyperbole. There are alternatives, and its' become a more frequent topic of discussion in my circles.

Good example-
Gun Owners for Responsible Ownership
Be glad you can get a CCW, we can't here in SD. What "law" would force two friends to do a BGC on each other? Criminals aren't going to bother especially when they can walk into a gun store and be shooting a firearm an hour later. All legal, they can't own legally but they sure can buy legally.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:16 AM

9,500 posts, read 4,337,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
From PBS News Hour, I think.

I don't remember the total figure for NRA political contributions, but 98% of it went to Republicans.

And the single largest chunk was $11 million to Trump.
I suppose there's a point in your post somewhere, but I sure can't find it. All kinds of organizations contribute to both Democrats and Republicans to further their agendas. It's how our political system works. Personally, I'm more comfortable with an organization that represents an estimated 4 million people donating a bunch of money than with one ultra-rich extremist (George Soros) inflicting his whacko agenda on the rest of us via contributions to extreme left causes.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:22 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,168 times
NOTHING, no amount of massacres is ever going to change the way Gun Rights/Ownership is upheld in these United States of America . . . that is, until millennials grow up and effect the changes required to minimize these atrocities.

Florida students to lawmakers: 'Shame on you' - BBC News

Old 02-18-2018, 10:23 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,514,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
You are so afraid of a piece of metal it's down right hilarious. Even more so your fear of the people, even little girls, using them.
I probably should not respond to such tripe, other than to say I'm a registered gun owner with a CC permit (in Illinois you need 16 hours of instruction to get a CC permit, but since I'm a veteran, I only needed 8 hours)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies