U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 06:42 AM

16,672 posts, read 9,051,099 times

Advertisements

The US MSM has literally bragged about how we (Democrat Administrations) have rigged foreign elections including in Russia.

What is good for the goose is good for the gander, no?

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-uHBEbUgAW...-elections.png

Time magazine gleefully bragged about Bill Clinton interfering in the 1996 election in Russia in favor of Yeltsin's reelection, who had an approval rating in the single digits.

Today Time magazine considers interfering in an election an attack against Democracy and fundamental values everywhere in the free world.

US Caught Rigging Russia’s Elections | Humans Are Free

Where was the MSM consternation as Obama interfered in Israel's election, allegedly in Russia's and other countries?

Is it healthy to have a double standard where it is good for the US to meddle in other countries' elections, but the same media will crap their pants over Russian posts on Facebook that equaled less than 1% of all Facebook posts on the election?

Last edited by Ibginnie; 02-18-2018 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: hotlinking and/or copyright violation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 06:54 AM

7,962 posts, read 2,730,199 times
..................Crickets...............

Old 02-18-2018, 09:57 AM

66,115 posts, read 33,523,412 times
Media?
Wasn't Obama all over Europe, campaigning for one over the other, Meddling in their elections and using the full power of our NSA to gather dirt on political opponents of his pick?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:59 AM

9,398 posts, read 2,274,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The US MSM has literally bragged about how we (Democrat Administrations) have rigged foreign elections including in Russia.

Sounds like you are ok with it.

So do you approve of Russian meddling in the elections of our sovereign republic? Yes or No?

Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Sounds like you are ok with it.

So do you approve of Russian meddling in the elections of our sovereign republic? Yes or No?
I would prefer neither side did it, but I also want consistency.

If the media applauds/looks the other way when Bill Clinton and Obama meddle in other countries' elections -- we should expect it back in return and not scream bloody murder when it happens back.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,325,409 times
Quote:

Time magazine gleefully bragged about Bill Clinton interfering in the 1996 election in Russia in favor of Yeltsin's reelection, who had an approval rating in the single digits.

Today Time magazine considers interfering in an election an attack against Democracy and fundamental values everywhere in the free world.

US Caught Rigging Russia’s Elections | Humans Are Free

Where was the MSM consternation as Obama interfered in Israel's election, allegedly in Russia's and other countries?

Is it healthy to have a double standard where it is good for the US to meddle in other countries' elections, but the same media will crap their pants over Russian posts on Facebook that equaled less than 1% of all Facebook posts on the election?
Note to self: Be sure to write in Putin's name on the presidential ballot come the 2020 election. We must be sporting, you know. Pip, Pip! Cheerio! Carry on, old Chap.

What a pile of BS. You Trumpers will go to absurd lengths to defend your cult leader, won't you?

I find it hard to believe that you are serious. If you are, grow up already. It's a big old mean world - dog eat dog. The US has interfered in any number of foreign elections. Personally, I don't advocate that. But what's worse? Interfering on our own behalf vs throwing our elections to any foreign power who may be hanging around at the time?

I pick the USA. Why don't you, snowflake?

Old 02-18-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Note to self: Be sure to write in Putin's name on the presidential ballot come the 2020 election. We must be sporting, you know. Pip, Pip! Cheerio! Carry on, old Chap.

What a pile of BS. You Trumpers will go to absurd lengths to defend your cult leader, won't you?

I find it hard to believe that you are serious. If you are, grow up already. It's a big old mean world - dog eat dog. The US has interfered in any number of foreign elections. Personally, I don't advocate that. But what's worse? Interfering on our own behalf vs throwing our elections to any foreign power who may be hanging around at the time?

I pick the USA. Why don't you, snowflake?
I am picking the USA.

I think the USA will be stronger if we aren't hypocrites and are honest. That is the reputation of the US, what you are advocating, no concern for other countries' point of view.

Putin shouldn't interfere in ours, but we interfered in his. Why should we brag about one and scream bloody murder about the other?

Tell me why I should not expect consistency with our media on this topic. Why do you want the media to have double standards?

Why do you think our media can do no wrong?

Old 02-18-2018, 11:43 AM

10,593 posts, read 12,076,421 times
OP, I think the issue for me has always been not that the Russians had their little fun. All's fair in love and war, correct? If we play dirty, we can't get upset when it's done to us.

I guess the part that bothers me (and it's not yet proven) is that my sense is that an American or Americans helped them. That's the part that is NOT cool. Especially if that help came from any of the candidates. That would be very un-American. You don't help foreign countries mess with your elections. You don't make deals with them, you don't encourage them. And when you find another country doing it, you don't deny that it happened.

Whether we do it or not, it is a form of an attack. Think of the Russian act of creating hate and divisiveness as a form of communications war. How do we feel about citizens who help people attack and divide America?

Old 02-18-2018, 11:48 AM

21,224 posts, read 14,233,135 times
Quote:
I am picking the USA.

I think the USA will be stronger if we aren't hypocrites and are honest. That is the reputation of the US, what you are advocating, no concern for other countries' point of view.

Putin shouldn't interfere in ours, but we interfered in his. Why should we brag about one and scream bloody murder about the other?

Tell me why I should not expect consistency with our media on this topic. Why do you want the media to have double standards?

Why do you think our media can do no wrong?
Play fair if you want. Putin won't.

And just know that Putin doesn't care which party is the best for him. All he wants is one person he can manipulate easier than the other. Last time, in 2016, Putin didn't want Hillary. Next time, it could be Trump just as easily.

Putin doesn't care about who wins. He wants those in his sights to lose.

It's very simple for him. the weaker America is, the better off Russia is. The more divided we are, the easier it is for Russians to replace us with their unity.

If there was a rule book on international affairs, they it would be hypocrisy if the rules were broken. But there is no rule book, and a powerful nation does what it must to hold its power abroad.

If we as Americans choose to limit our intervention and foreign influence efforts, that is our choice, but it is a choice we make all alone, but do not expect Russia or any other nation to abide by our internal choices. They will not.

We chose to curtail our hanky-panky abroad because of the consequences that came back on us afterwards. Other nations have not faced the same consequences, but even so, there is still no rule book. When any nation is aggressive, there never is a rule book.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
OP, I think the issue for me has always been not that the Russians had their little fun. All's fair in love and war, correct? If we play dirty, we can't get upset when it's done to us.

I guess the part that bothers me (and it's not yet proven) is that my sense is that an American or Americans helped them. That's the part that is NOT cool. Especially if that help came from any of the candidates. That would be very un-American. You don't help foreign countries mess with your elections. You don't make deals with them, you don't encourage them. And when you find another country doing it, you don't deny that it happened.

Whether we do it or not, it is a form of an attack. Think of the Russian act of creating hate and divisiveness as a form of communications war. How do we feel about citizens who help people attack and divide America?
-As you say, it is yet unproven, because the indictments said no Americans wittingly participated.

-The US uses foreign nationals to meddle in other countries. Bill Clinton got Russians to help his election tampering. Obama got Israelis to help his election tampering. Etc...

-I think many people around the world notice how hypocritical our media and people are on this topic. Literally gloating that we did MORE to influence the elections back in 1996 Russia than Russia is accused of today; yet the media that once gloated is screaming bloody murder.

We are hypocrites and this damages our world standing IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or