Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:01 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Regardless of how many assault weapons they possess, there is no way that that these homegrown militias are a match for armed drones.

This is a delusional fantasy.

You make the false assumption that armed drones would be controlled by people that are allied with a government that is being overthrown by the people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,586,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
When you write about "Patriotic guys" are you referring to the Tim McVeighs, perhaps the Charlottevilles types, maybe the fringe militias? Strange patriotism there.
It may sound bizarre, but with whats going on today, real patriotism would look more like terrorism on the surface!!

Think about it, if its the militia that is supposed to protect the people from the Govt, if any situation arose when the militia needed to respond with force against the govt...that would look a whole lot like domestic terrorism, and of course the tyrannical govt would do anything it could to stop the militia, including making them look bad or making them look like terrorists, thats just what a tyrannical govt would do in that situation.

When people hear the word 'militia' today, many automatically think of anti-govt wackos intent on wreaking chaos...point is, this stereotype didnt just happen by coincidence!

Old 02-19-2018, 10:50 AM

13,602 posts, read 4,929,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, the 2nd Amendment. The Supreme Court has already argued this.

The right of the people. Not the privilege of the militia.
The Supreme court has ruled the people are the militia.

In a previous post you stated "The constitution declares the people as the militia."

Now you say it is the Supreme Court that said it. But neither are true.

I'm not arguing whether you have a right to bear arms in self-defense. Just saying, that doesn't make you part of the militia. The Constitution itself refers to a well-regulated militia, which further supports my contention that Joe Sixpack, running around with a loaded deer rifle or Saturday night special, is not the militia.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:57 AM

37,183 posts, read 19,186,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I take it the scary black rifle to so many, doesn't scare you a bit. You sound rather conservative in the peoples right to not only keep but to also bear their arms.
I have owned firearms for sixty years. I was a gunsmith for four, and have shot everything you can name from a .218 Bee to a .460 Weatherby. At one time I loaded for eight calibers, and I shot muzzleloaders competitively. I'm not afraid of anything enough that I would need a paramilitary weapon to repel. My personal choice for home protection is a B.C. Miroku 12 gauge double built on Ithaca's tooling in the 1960s packed with 3" magnum BBs. Never had to use it, but I have every confidence that two shots is all anyone ever needed who was a competent marksman. 30 shots is just spraying and praying.

The problem is, AR-15s and equivalent are the weapon of choice for mass shooters, because they were designed with one purpose in mind, that of killing as many people as possible as quickly as possible. If the owners can't behave any better than children with their toys and use them to intentionally hurt innocent people, their toys will be taken away. May take a couple more years, but it's going to happen.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
That is true cueball. There are plenty of Liberals that enjoy the shooting sports and we can count them in with the millions of Right leaning gun owners that are freedom loving, America loving, law abiding citizens that would use their firearms if they were forced to help defend the nation they love.
I defy you to walk through Arlington and tell me who were the conservatives and who were the Liberals.

Just because you own a gun doesn't make you a patriot.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
they would be called upon in a crisis for their skills as business people, accountants, teachers, healthcare workers... not their ability to shoot a gun
Which is a good thing, because if there is ever a serious crisis none of those guns are going to amount to much. They won't stand up against any sort of competent military operation against troops that have been trained, regardless of what type of guns they own. That is pure fantasy like they sell in comic books.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I defy you to walk through Arlington and tell me who were the conservatives and who were the Liberals.

Just because you own a gun doesn't make you a patriot.
Running on emotions, turns people into slaves.

Just think if the slaves had AR's.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The last defense against what? The last defense against whom?

Our enemies aren't going to ever try to invade our nation. Red Dawn won't ever happen. There will be no Muslim hordes racing across our borders to occupy our farms and cities.

There will be no starving millions bent on killing everyone who stands before them as they flee our suburbs and cities.

There will never be a zombie apocalypse.

All that is fiction. It makes for good movies, but it's not real and never will be.

Can any militia stand up to any fully equipped heavy infantry assault unit? Can any militia stand up to any infantry unit with air support?

No. They cannot. In real combat, any militia would be wiped out in a fight, and the survivors would be hunted down.

Any Governor has his National Guard, along with his State Police, at his immediate disposal, and if they aren't enough, all it takes is a phone call to the White House or to a Senator, and he's got what he needs within hours.
We haven't even talked about drones and missiles yet...

Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
Why has no invader ever successfully conquered Afghanistan? Is it their mechanized armor, air power, naval forces or satellite tech?

Bunch a goat herders on horseback with small arms have successfully fought the world's last two superpowers to attrition standstills and eventual withdrawal. Huh...remarkable thing, that. Shouldn't that be impossible, since small arms are no match for superior military technology?

How did militia groups with loose organization, virtually no artillery to speak of, far less access to resupply and material/manpower manage to hold the greatest military and arguably some of history's greatest commanders to a virtual standstill during the American Revolution?

Part of resistance is sapping the will of your oppressor to keep up their oppression. Ask the Afghani mujahadeen.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 7 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
In wartime what hapens is that all able men are conscripted in to the armed forces, those that are too young or old join the militia, in Britain in WW2 it was known as the Home Guard and the women's equivalent was the Auxiliary Territorial Service.

The Real 'Dad's Army' | Imperial War Museums

The Vital Role Of Women In The Second World War | Imperial War Museums
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies