U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 02:08 PM

15,367 posts, read 5,682,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Newsflash, armed security has been present in schools since the Clinton Administration.

https://cops.usdoj.gov/

It's estimated that nationally around 90% of schools with 1000 students or more have a full time armed security presence onsite.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=334
Well, then, you have just proven how ineffectual a solution it is. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 02:11 PM

1,373 posts, read 817,000 times
Switzerland....

1 in 2 citizens owns a gun...

LOWEST crime rate in the world...

but guns are the problem????

wow

Old 02-18-2018, 02:15 PM

15,367 posts, read 5,682,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eqttrdr View Post
Switzerland....

1 in 2 citizens owns a gun...

LOWEST crime rate in the world...

but guns are the problem????

wow
Private ownership of automatic or semiautomatic weapons is prohibited in Switzerland.

Those are the guns used in mass slaughters in the U.S.

So yeah, the guns are the problem.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:15 PM

33,835 posts, read 41,902,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Well, then, you have just proven how ineffectual a solution it is. Thanks.

I didn't prove anything except that you tend to make statements about "Why don't we" when it's already been done.

You gun grabbers seem to always operate from a limited knowledge base ranging from guns themselves to Constitutional precedent and historical reasoning to initiatives already in place.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Private ownership of automatic or semiautomatic weapons is prohibited in Switzerland.

Those are the guns used in mass slaughters in the U.S.

So yeah, the guns are the problem.
You would be incorrect. Again.

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/society...earms/43573832

Old 02-18-2018, 02:21 PM

18,553 posts, read 9,541,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Actually, the government should be held responsible for turning our schools into hunting preserves. I wonder how fast the Gun Free Zone laws would go away if there were massive lawsuits against the government for forcing us to send our children to a place where they are unsafe.
For public schools, yes.

Not for private schools.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:21 PM

523 posts, read 446,242 times
Quote:
We make them illegal to own, provide a grace period for people to turn them in, and then enforce harsh penalties for having one after that grace period has passed. In short, we make a start.
What fantasy world do you live in? Do you really think criminals will be anxious to turn in their guns if such a ban is passed?

Quote:
Or we could just continue to do nothing while people continue to be mowed down on the streets, which is what the gun lovers advocate.
We've never advocated such thing, and the banning of guns you advocate is only going to make it easier for criminals to commit crimes when they know that they no longer have to worry about armed citizens defending themselves, keep in mind also that they will be armed with guns because such a ban would not affect criminals.

Quote:
Unlike you, I don't buy the argument that more guns will equal less carnage.
Sure, that's like saying a Navy without aircraft carriers submarines and destroyers will have no problem taking control of the seas, an Air Force without airplanes will have no problems keeping our air space safe, and an Army without rifles could easily win battles.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:28 PM

10,962 posts, read 4,818,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Newsflash, armed security has been present in schools since the Clinton Administration.

https://cops.usdoj.gov/

It's estimated that nationally around 90% of schools with 1000 students or more have a full time armed security presence onsite.

https://nces.ed.gov/fastfacts/display.asp?id=334
Really?

Wow. I guess I've always been in the other 10% of schools, because I've always gone to very large public schools, and none of them had an armed security presence.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:31 PM

14,778 posts, read 13,261,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Nope, not in this country . . . "The right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
But it really does get infringed upon. Federal law bans convicted felons from possessing firearms or ammunition.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Really?

Wow. I guess I've always been in the other 10% of schools, because I've always gone to very large public schools, and none of them had an armed security presence.
How long ago? It didn't really start, except in some urban schools, until the Clinton DOJ opened up the money tap for Community Policing in the mid to late 1990s.

Armed security, most times a local, sworn officer, is most often found in urban and suburban school systems and not so much in rural ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or