Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 11:23 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Oh no, not at all. I'm not against guns but why does someone need a semi automatic rifle, unless it's to kill multiple targets in minutes.
Think it's more about high capacity magazines and speed. If I am mistaken, I have no doubt I will be corrected.

Last time I was in Orlando, I picked up a ton of the typical tourist attraction brochures, including several from places selling the opportunity to shoot a variety of fully automatic/ machine- tommy guns.

The cartoon pictures depicted big beefy men and scantily- dressed women having the time of their life. The promo captions were precious, along the lines of feel the power, take charge and be the man. I pondered giving it a shot, just because. Instead, I hit the Dairy Queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Amen! Sandwiches. Unreal.

One would also think taping trash bags to the windows would have set off additional alarm bells...

Bet she reconsidered her choices real fast as he stood over her...
I forgot about the covered Windows.

Decent is gradual ard the " it's not so bad" takes over and takes prisoners.

Sounds like Cruz' mother fell into the same enabling rabbit hole.

Old 02-19-2018, 01:43 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Without getting into an entirely different debate, Moses gave plenty of warnings to Egypt's Pharoah. I encourage you to read the Book of Exodus in the Old Testament.
So, it's okay to murder others as long as you threaten them first?

Old 02-19-2018, 06:22 AM

6,354 posts, read 3,653,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
"Two things can be right at once."
When American citizens own a gun they have gun rules and regulations in their homes. They keep that gun away from small children, they keep the gun hidden, unloaded, or in a gun safe, they take steps so the gun is not stolen by a criminal or mentally ill person, and they take steps not to sell the gun to a criminal or mentally ill person.

But Washington republicans refuse to pass any gun safety regulations. Washington republicans even oppose gun regulations that stop terrorists and the mentally ill from buying guns.
GOP blocks bill to stop terrorists from buying guns | MSNBC
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...mental-n727221

Quote:
So stop wasting our energy talking about ineffective gun control and start focusing on ways to actively save lives instead of moving air around the room to talk about gun control.
Using the above logic Americans who own guns would not teach their children about gun safety, they would leave loaded guns near small children, and they would freely sell guns to criminals and the mentally ill. But American gun owners don't do those things because they follow gun safety rules and regulations (but Washington republicans oppose the most basic forms of gun safety rules and regulations.)

Quote:
And while we're at it, let's focus on why we're raising cold-blooded killers. Because we've always had guns, but kids in the past weren't shooting schools up like this."
A Fox news reporter recently said the following about the latest school shooter "the other students described him as a freak, a loser, and a reject."

Perhaps many of these school shooters could be stopped if they were not picked on and teased by other students.

Last edited by chad3; 02-19-2018 at 07:41 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 06:37 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Nowhere in the Constitution does it say people have the right to own weapons of mass destruction. When the Constitution was written they couldn't conceive of the kind of destruction that is possible with just one semiautomatic weapon.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puckle_gun

It predates the Constitution by decades.

Further, remember that Article One of the Constitution allowed Congress to issue "grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal,".....if one is going to go out and capture enemy ships, one better have considerable fire power.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:51 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,110,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Seriously, do you use a musket these days.
You made a blanket statement. I gave you an opportunity to explain. You have no answer.

As such, please, stop making silly shoe size I.Q. comments on topics which you are unfamiliar with.

Old 02-19-2018, 07:55 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Nothing precludes a rural school district from putting one or more armed resource officers inside/ outside their schools, beyond tax payer's willingness to fund it.

If they're paying for it 100% out of district funds the school board is being stupid since there are federal C.O.P.S grants for it. They used to be 90/10 although that might have changed.

The biggest problem is getting the local law enforcement agency to buy in if the leadership doesn't have an empire building mindset.

Plus, and a lot of people miss this, there are large areas of the US that don't have local law enforcement and are dependent on the State Police/Highway Patrol for policing. Even in a state like Pennsylvania there are areas that have no law enforcement other than the State Police and the response times are over an hour.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:00 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,709,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Australia is also not connected to a wild country like Mexico, where it's quite easy to smuggle drugs, humans and illegal weapons over the border if the price is right.

It's like the drug war going on. Drugs are illegal, but yet the epidemic is worse than it has ever been. What makes you think making guns illegal will stop the problem? All you will do is set up the citizens for open season now. I would rather we go to another civil war and fight to keep our guns than to just surrender. We are not France here.

Never said all guns should be illegal!
Why are you trying to use this false narrative?
What are you trying to accomplish?
Asking for a discussion and sensible efforts toward securing safety for our children and ourselves, in theaters, churches and toward sensible gun regulation and reform is not the same issue as you are falsely stating!

Last edited by corpgypsy; 02-19-2018 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-19-2018, 10:11 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,121,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If they're paying for it 100% out of district funds the school board is being stupid since there are federal C.O.P.S grants for it. They used to be 90/10 although that might have changed.

The biggest problem is getting the local law enforcement agency to buy in if the leadership doesn't have an empire building mindset.

Plus, and a lot of people miss this, there are large areas of the US that don't have local law enforcement and are dependent on the State Police/Highway Patrol for policing. Even in a state like Pennsylvania there are areas that have no law enforcement other than the State Police and the response times are over an hour.
In Missouri, we have county sheriffs. But on 2nd and 3rd shift, there is one deputy for a 25 mile x 25 mile county. Response time can be 45 minutes or more. And there are several rural schools with no local police, in my county alone.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:14 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
In Missouri, we have county sheriffs. But on 2nd and 3rd shift, there is one deputy for a 25 mile x 25 mile county. Response time can be 45 minutes or more. And there are several rural schools with no local police, in my county alone.

Yep. Many don't realize that. And it's not rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies