U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2018, 09:18 PM

1,183 posts, read 424,255 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
It was created in the 1700s, then cities and towns didn't have Police Departments or Law Enforcement.
Is the right to own weapons necessary any longer?
Yes.
I have gotten used to what little freedoms we have left.
What purpose would it serve to deny me the right to own a gun?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:23 PM

1,745 posts, read 2,124,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And here is a post where a libertarian and a liberal can pretty much agree. All such agreement and compromise requires is that neither side thinks they have to have 100% of what they want. That there's a middle ground.
I believe most moderates and center-right Republicans also agree, especially on background checks. The problem is our Congress was bought off by the NRA and gun manufacturers.

I've heard it said that if some very basic, common sense regulation like mandatory background checks, enforcement, and such was brought to the floor it would pass even today in a Republican-held House. The problem is that legislation simply will never even HIT the floor because of the NRA stranglehold.

The only real solutions are to

1.) demand your elected official get the NRA money out of their pockets, or be voted out

2.) demand your elected official vote and advocate for gun regulation, or be voted out

or, alternatively (and most realistically the only way it truly will ever happen)

3.) vote Democrat in 2018, and hope for them to overtake the House

Even though I'm a Libertarian I absolutely will vote for a Democrat if it means we can make the country a safer place for everyone.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 PM

18,072 posts, read 19,842,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You have proven yourself to be a tool at best. How’s that GED working out for you? LOL
Oh boy you really got me with that. Did your mom help construct that sentence and spell check it. Taking guns away from people isn’t going to stop anything. Guns will simply be bought like drugs. People will still go on killing me another. You’ve proven that you really have absolutely no argument other than personally attacking me.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:32 PM

1,913 posts, read 2,763,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozarknation View Post
My dad gave me a Remington 870 as a gift when I was in College, and sold it. I don't need guns, I don't hunt. I just call 911 if I need the police.
Maybe in the 1700s, it made sense. To have a gun to protect your family. Today is not necessary. Our police departments are funded with tax dollars to buy the most modern equipment and guns available in the market to protect us.
You have abdicated your responsibility to protect yourself and family to the POLICE!!! They will come around a draft a report as to how they find your body. They are not there to protect you.

In fact, courts have ruled the police have NO obligation to protect the citizenry. You sir are a naive fool.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I believe most moderates and center-right Republicans also agree, especially on background checks. The problem is our Congress was bought off by the NRA and gun manufacturers.

I've heard it said that if some very basic, common sense regulation like mandatory background checks, enforcement, and such was brought to the floor it would pass even today in a Republican-held House. The problem is that legislation simply will never even HIT the floor because of the NRA stranglehold.

1.) demand your elected official get the NRA money out of their pockets, or be voted out

2.) demand your elected official vote and advocate for gun regulation, or be voted out

or, alternatively (and most realistically the only way it truly will ever happen)

Even though I'm a Libertarian I absolutely will vote for a Democrat if it means we can make the country a safer place for everyone.
Well there are millions more who disagree with you and WILL send the opposite message.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 PM

1,334 posts, read 455,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post

The NRA has a big voice for sure, and has wandered too far into political advocacy legally and morally perhaps, but considering the bolded section?

Dems do not have any real answers regarding civil rights and American liberties in general. You are not coming off as a libertarian, you seem more of an anarchist. Not intended as an insult, just my read on it.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
2. This isn't China.
Not yet but in 40 yrs it easily could be. If the likes of Bernie Sanders or Chuck Schumer got their way. We would be there in a decade.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Parroting the NRA line of propaganda once again.

Plus teaching youth to kill humans via video games.

Remember.......what kids learn they will use in life.
Any you would teach them to be sheep wouldn't you. Follow gov't loving Democrat leaders to the slaughter.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomC23 View Post
When was the last time they held up and attacked a police station? It was the same time they held up and attack me. That would be never.
History shows police have willfully abandoned citizenry at crucial moments. Riots after Martin Luther King died. Riots in LA after Rodney King verdict.

Check out the photos of brave Koreans in LA, defending their stores with firearms after police abandoned entire neighborhoods.

Society lives just a few actions away from a mass destruction at the local level. Better accept that reality Tom.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:54 PM

1,334 posts, read 455,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Also, if someone is crazy and cant get a gun, what is stopping them from getting the items they need to make bombs and incendiary devices? If they are nuts, and determined to kill their husband, they have knives in their kitchen along with poisons of all sorts. They can run over him with their car, and then there are various hammers and power tools around the house.

Doing away with the inanimate objects does not fix the fact that they are nuts and want to hurt/kill someone. It would do nothing to address whatever the problem is.

Why aren't we enforcing the laws that we have, like, The Brady Act?
The Brady Act isnt enforced? Like FFL dealers are ignoring it? Show some examples.

Where I see existing firearm laws get ignored is enforcement of straw buyers and re classifying existing crime trends in urban centers where violence is a problem. Cities are trying to downplay problems, budgets are an issue, and the demographics of perpetrators become a problem for local politicos. Look at Detroit, Baltimore, and Chicago as good examples of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies