Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because they can. ......duh.

But you're attempting to imply that things would be significantly different if they couldn't.

And you're wrong......because they always choose targets that can't shoot back.
There is no way the Las Vegas shooter could have fired 1 100 rounds in such short period of time with 5 round magazines.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:22 PM

2,821 posts, read 2,111,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That's not quite true that the only difference between the AR-15 and an M4 is the selector switch.

Barrel length on an M-4 according to wiki is 14.5 inches.

Barrel length on the -15, on the Uzi carbine, on the -10 is a minimal of 16 inches.

Shorter than 16 inches is a short barrel rifle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-barreled_rifle .
SBRs also require a NFA tax stamp.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:26 PM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Not much different?

One has an option of firing automatic fire and the other does not.

As far as standing up to government forces, perhaps not, but let's not give the government any more of an advantage than it already has.
That is the only difference, semi-auto is slightly slower other than that they are close to identical.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Semantics! A weapon manufactured to kill as many people possible in as short of a time as possible is a weapon of war to the human body and this civilian. OK...call it whatever you want and insert that noun into my argument. Same position and supported opinion is the result.

You additionally made another point of mine...I do not understand why we as a people cannot have a sensible discussion regarding the goal of securing the welfare of ourselves...belittling and "winning" on semantics or knee jerk talking points get us, as a nation or people, nowhere!

And I feel like repeating my anecdote, feel free to insert the noun of your choice,FatBob96.

In a suburban Pittsburgh H.S. in 2014, a 16-year-old sophomore, used a pair of eight-inch kitchen knives to attack fellow students. After wounding several people he pulled the fire alarm in an effort to gain access to more students. While and after being subdued by an assistant principal he continued to shout, " My work is not done. I have more people to kill". A total of 22 people, including the assailant, were injured during the rampage. Four students sustained life-threatening injuries, but all survived.

If this troubled teen had a weapon of war instead of the weapons he did utilize, I doubt the outcome that day at Franklin Regional H.S. would have been the same!

We need sensible gun regulation and not more weapons of war! The surviving victims of the latest school massacre know this, unfortunately. Once again, I applaud them for their courage and attempts to turn their rage into activism. They are asking the adults of our society to hear them! When is enough, enough? We aren't protecting them! Our legislators aren't protecting them!

Knives are weapons of war.

But the point here is not the weapons.......

It's the people and the environments in which they choose to attack..

If the school in you're "anecdote" was not an undefended, gun free zone, he would't have been able to injure anyone with those "weapons of war" would he?

Old 02-19-2018, 12:27 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
So your telling me that any 19 year old with limited shooting experience can within a month or so shoot as good as this guy? Please....try again.
he doesn't have to shoot as fast as that guy he only has to shoot some what as fast as that guy, because time is on his side when he is the wolf and everyone else the sheep.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
SBRs also require a NFA tax stamp.
Among other things.

It's the source of the reason why I never bothered to make my Uzi carbines into SBR's. I was getting so much conflicting data that it wasn't worth the hassle nor the potential penalty if one did wrong.

So I have carbines with 16 inch barrels but let me say that they are carbines and the full size rifles, for -15, -10 are up to 20 inches or so.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:29 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
The only difference between an AR-15 and an M4 and M16 is the selector switch. Which isn't really in the scheme of things that much of a difference. My cousin was in a Marine Infantry Regiment and did 2 combat tours in Iraq, including one year in Ramadi where things got really ugly. In all of the gun fights he was in he never once fired his M16 in full auto. His commanders actively discourage them from using full auto since it wastes ammo. So essentially he carried to war what these spree shooters are using in schools and concerts.
Another option is to use the 3 round burst.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
So your telling me that any 19 year old with limited shooting experience can within a month or so shoot as good as this guy? Please....try again.

A 19 year old with limited shooting experience who is bent on killing people in a gun free zone doesn't have to shoot as good as the guy in the video.

Nobody is shooting back at him.

The guy in the video would have still hit all his targets if he had been limited in speed to that of your theoretical 19 year old.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
That's not quite true that the only difference between the AR-15 and an M4 is the selector switch.

Barrel length on an M-4 according to wiki is 14.5 inches.

Barrel length on the -15, on the Uzi carbine, on the -10 is a minimal of 16 inches.

Shorter than 16 inches is a short barrel rifle https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short-barreled_rifle .
You can buy a 14.5 inched barrel AR-15 which has a permanently attached flash suppressor making it 16 inches long, or you can just buy a 16 inch barreled AR-15. Some of these cosmetically resemble the M-4 Carbine, but are semi auto only. If you want to go through buying a tax stamp, you have to apply, pay $200, go through another background check, wait for several months, then you can buy a shorter barreled rifle. That is the same process for a sound suppressor, or full auto.

Full auto firearms were banned from manufacturer, and importation in 1986 making their supply finite, and their cost astronomical. They are collector firearms now.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:32 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,241,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
In a gun free zone like a school, it's irrelevant.

Nobody's going to play superman in the time it takes a shooter to change a mag.

Everyone is scared, confused and ducking for cover and nobody has a weapon to shoot back with.

If your fish are in a barrel, it doesn't matter how long it takes to bait the hook.
The army did tests on the M1 Grand (8 round clip)and determined it would average between 16 to 24 rounds per minute for the average soldier. The AR-15 (30 round mag)averages 400 rounds per minute (once over 400 rounds in a minute the gas tube will war, hence why the Vegas shooter used multiple guns)

Assuming we have 10 minutes before the police arrive.

M1 - at its full limit might get to 240 rounds in that time.

AR-15 - at its full limit might get to 4000 rounds in that time.

Which is going to do more damage in that period of time?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies