Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2018, 02:31 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
You kind of answered the question. Men tend to not do housework and women tend to do housework independent of being married or cohabitating.

Single men are in a Darwinian, competitive dating market, plus a current male antagonist government and social environment, unless they decide to not even date, that sucks their time, energy, and resources away from housework and other leisures.

Or maybe the husband's job earns more, is more demanding or dangerous.

Why is it so hard to get through thick skulls that men and women are not identical, and marriage isn't or shouldn't be two roommates splitting and sharing expenses and duties? If you try to make women and men equal, especially via government action that's not equality or utopian it's just division. I mean if you want that then fine, but you are just two roommates really.

I'm not really against women keeping their household and I keep mine, but I never found a woman that was happy with that arrangement even if I did all the traveling to her.
I don’t remember my wedding vows including any notions of how household chores should be done, nor have I read any marriage definition about how it should go. There were societal expectations, sure, but things change. Under your definition, men get to be as slobby as they want in the house and the woman should just merrily go along and clean it with no qualms because of how they would (or wouldn’t) have kept house on their own..is that right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2018, 02:33 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Unless they send ALL their laundry to a dry cleaner and use paper plates/plastic cutlery/plastic cups exclusively, then yes men do housework. They even have to vacuum and maybe clean a toilet. There's a basic level of cleanliness necessary so your home doesn't downright stink. Maybe lots of single men don't clean frequently, but they have to do it sometimes unless they're living in utter squalor.

I agree that marriage isn't a roommate situation. It's much more, but splitting the household chores and child care task don't make it like living with a roomie. I've never had sex with any of my roommates or had kids or discussed my innermost thoughts or planned for vacations or bought a home or planned for retirement or grieve over the loss of a parent or had them take care of me after surgery. The thought that having men do some percent of the household chores weakens marriage is laughable. It actually strengthens a marriage when both spouses are pulling in the same direction for common goals.
Ah, this is good too

Old 02-23-2018, 02:34 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Unless they send ALL their laundry to a dry cleaner and use paper plates/plastic cutlery/plastic cups exclusively, then yes men do housework. They even have to vacuum and maybe clean a toilet. There's a basic level of cleanliness necessary so your home does downright stink. Maybe lots of single men don't clean frequently, but they have to do it sometimes unless they're living in utter squalor.

I agree that marriage isn't a roommate situation. It's much more, but splitting the household chores and child care task don't make it like living with a roomie. I've never had sex with any of my roommates or had kids or discussed my innermost thoughts or planned for vacations or bought a home or planned for retirement or grieve over the loss of a parent or had them take care of me after surgery. The thought that having men do some percent of the household chores weakens marriage is laughable. It actually strengthens a marriage when both spouses are pulling in the same direction for common goals.
I'll bet the men dance and sing while cleaning the toilet and shower like they do on the commercials LOL.

My parents raised my brothers to do housework but when both married they fell into the typical old school rolls, even after mom taught them how to be independent of women they obviously saw marriage as my dad did and followed his footsteps. Both are now divorced but both keep a clean house. On the other hand my BIL, never married, lived at home until 50+, mom waited on him, now has his own place and it's a pig pen. I refuse to go there, it has the heebie geebies.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:41 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,873,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
I don’t remember my wedding vows including any notions of how household chores should be done, nor have I read any marriage definition about how it should go. There were societal expectations, sure, but things change. Under your definition, men get to be as slobby as they want in the house and the woman should just merrily go along and clean it with no qualms because of how they would (or wouldn’t) have kept house on their own..is that right?
No I'm saying a single man may keep a clean and tidy household, but if he cohabitates or marries he might want the woman to keep the household clean and tidy.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Like I said, I never met any woman who was happy with keeping her household and I keep mine. They were all angling to cohabitate or marry.

There are a lot of old wives' tales going on in this thread.
If that's what you want to believe. Of course if your closed minded and won't listen just like men won't listen when their wives complain of needing the men to pitch in. I'll even say that I'll bet when a woman asks you to pitch your thinking that she's a b*tch.

Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
No I'm saying a single man may keep a clean and tidy household, but if he cohabitates or marries he might want the woman to keep the household clean and tidy.
Why would she? A wife is not a cleaning lady.
I think in reality many men like the idea because they are jealous and would not have to worry about their wives meeting other men in the office or wherever. A free cleaning lady safely locked away at home, perfect ^^

Old 02-23-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
So what about what the woman wants? I'll bet you think she was born to keep the house clean and tidy LOL.... all I say to women out there is RUNNNNN, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Unless you want to be mtl1 house ....

Old 02-23-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why would she? A wife is not a cleaning lady.
And a man isn't Mr. Clean. Why do women demand to cohabitate and marry? Just to split expenses and housework or have the man pay all her expenses and do housework?

Old 02-23-2018, 02:48 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
And a man isn't Mr. Clean. Why do women demand to cohabitate and marry? Just to split expenses and housework or have the man pay all her expenses and do housework?
Only some women demand that, many are better off on their own, frankly.
I like to keep my place clean, I clean my windows, do my laundry etc. Why would I have a problem with that just because I am a man?

Old 02-23-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So what about what the woman wants? I'll bet you think she was born to keep the house clean and tidy LOL.... all I say to women out there is RUNNNNN, RUN AWAY AS FAST AS YOU CAN. Unless you want to be mtl1 house ....
Hey I'm running away from these feminist women and their big brother government too . It doesn't make for a healthy society, but I'm not the one who screwed it up in the 1960s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies