U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:20 AM

45,840 posts, read 34,057,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
Too many psychotropic drug prescriptions. Profilers claim the one thing all mass shooters have in common is prior or current psychotropic drug use.
Most shooters have a history of emotional instability, symptoms of mental illness and disturbed personality traits. Some, not all, were medicated in an attempt to stabilize them at some point in their lives.

Illnesses like Schitzophrenia, emerge over time, typically in adolescence and young adulthood.

Some shooters have a history of refusing to be medicated . Adam Lanza / Sandy Hook, was one of them. There are early indications, Cruz may be another.

Millions of people have a prior and current history of psychotropic medication usage, yet a statistically insignificant number engage in a mass shooting.

Millions of people own guns , yet a statistically insignificant number engage in a mass shooting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
This is somewhat true and it across the media spectrum whether you talk conservative, liberal or hyper liberal. That said, school shooting happened into the 1800's but weren't national scale news until Columbine, despite a few happening before it in the cable news era.

That said I think part of the problem is families aren't families anymore. Lots of disinterested parents and divorce, while not as high as they once were, it leads to more single parent households. I played violent video games as a kid such as Hogan's Alley, Golden eye 007 and Grand Theft Auto, I never once had the urge to shoot up a school I went to even if I didn't fit in. Too many, don't have a moral compass whether it is from family or Boy Scouts or a similar outlet. I had both.
Out of wedlock births and single parent households are an established global trend. The number of offspring from such households that engage in a mass shooting is statistically insignificant.

Millions of people play violent video games all over the world. The number of them who morph into mass shooters is statistically insignificant.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:31 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,853,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Out of wedlock births and single parent households are an established global trend. The number of offspring from such households that engage in a mass shooting is statistically insignificant.

Millions of people play violent video games all over the world. The number of them who morph into mass shooters is statistically insignificant.
Millions of people own guns all over the world. The number of them who morph into mass shooters is statistically insignificant.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:33 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,219,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
As a percentage of total homicides they are. They are extremely rare
Statistical significance is a quantitative measure of an event's correlation to some other factor, not some shoot-from-the-hip qualitative opinion of that event's frequency.

Maybe ppl ought not go around using terms like "statistical significance" when they don't know anything about statistics.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I helped a friend sell his guns before going into a nursing home, I posted them in an online classified ad, a guy called about them, came to look and we reached an agreement, he paid cash and was out the door. No paperwork, no BG checks, nothing!

There are 100s of 1000s of sales and trades just like this, going on every day, in every state in the country, there would no way to regulate or even enforce laws against this type of sale. They would have to monitor every online classified as well as print.

There is also 'ghost guns', those that are totally untraceable, or made by an individual that has access to the right fabrication equipment. A fully automatic weapon is not that difficult to make if you have access to right equipment.

Can't imagine putting myself in a situation of a felony charge of gun trafficking for " facilitating" an unlawful sale.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:43 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,377,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
We have more personal freedom which ultimately will result in more things going wrong compared to a nanny state where they micromanage things to protect everybody from everything.

Combine that with any male who doesn't have the ability to attract a woman and get laid, and the potential is always there for one of these psychological outcasts to go postal.
Horse pucky!

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...s-in-the-world

The U.S. isn't even in the top ten freest countries of the world.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:44 AM

979 posts, read 356,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Actually, your claim is false.

It is estimated that there are less than one thousand million dollar lottery winners. I assume the "super lottery" that you speak of is people who won much more, like over $100m, but I could not find stats for that, so I found stats that are more favorable to your claim, yet still don't bare it out.
https://talkingaboutnumbers.wordpres...ere-in-a-year/

The odds of getting struck by lightning in the US are about 1:700,000, which projects about 5 in a given year:
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ningfacts.html

This shows over 2000 people victim (killed or injured) of mass shootings in 2015. I'm sure you can find other years. It does not confuse "all shootings" which was over 13k.
Guns in the US: The statistics behind the violence - BBC News

If you are going to spout off statistics, you may want to check them first.... This is why nobody with critical reasoning skills takes posts like the one I just quoted seriously. (Mods, please note I am addressing the content of the post, not the poster themselves.)

Are you sure about the numbers you quote? USA Today's report indicated 1,358 victims of mass shootings between 2006 and 2017, so over 2,000 in 2015 alone would seem to be impossible. Mother Jones showed seven mass shootings for 2015. The MJ data shows a total of 816 deaths from 1982-2018. https://www.motherjones.com/politics...nes-full-data/
It actually depends on the definition of mass shooting. These numbers use the definition of a mass shooting as an event where at least four people are killed by gunfire. That is the government's definition. Other groups have used a definition where at least four people injured by gunfire constitutes a mass shooting, which might be where that "over 2000 victims" number comes from. That would be disingenuous though when considering the fraction of homicides that are the result of mass shootings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_s..._United_States
A comprehensive report by USA Today tracked all mass killings from 2006 through 2017 in which the perpetrator willfully killed 4 or more people. For mass killings by firearm for instance, it found 271 incidents with a total of 1,358 victims. This equates to a mass shooting approximately every 16 days. roughly 22.5 per year, with a mean of 5.01 victims per incident.[SIZE=2][12][/SIZE] Mother Jones listed seven mass shootings, defined as indiscriminate rampages in public places resulting in four or more victims killed,[SIZE=2][13][/SIZE] in the U.S. for 2015. The average for the period 20112015 was about 5 a year.[SIZE=2][14][/SIZE] An analysis by Michael Bloomberg's gun violence prevention group, Everytown for Gun Safety, identified 110 mass shootings, defined as shootings in which at least four people were murdered with a firearm, between January 2009 and July 2014; at least 57% were related to domestic or family violence.[SIZE=2][15][/SIZE][SIZE=2][16][/SIZE] This would imply that not more than 43% of 110 shootings in 5.5 years were non-domestic, though not necessarily public or indiscriminate; this equates to 8.6 per year, broadly in line with the other figures.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
It's a great question. Maybe our government should loosen up those purse strings so that policy makers can better pinpoint the root causes.

It seems plausible to me that our society is effectively rewarding these kinds of behaviors by reinforcing the notion that only people who are well known or rich or famous are valuable to society or worthy of love and respect. A lot of people cope with the realization they will never achieve a certain level of affluence, fame, or adulation simply by getting by and enjoying the things they do have. For others, that realization can be much more traumatizing, especially when confronted by non-stop messages from CNN, Fox News, Facebook, Instagram, and Snapchat telling them they are too weak, too soft, not successful enough, not sexy, etc etc. I believe there is an endless supply of misanthropes and psychologically unhappy folks that will continue to carry out these massacres as long as it is perceived to win them notoriety. Perhaps the solution lies in training people not to believe the media, or at least to take it less seriously.
People believe anything when it seems to validate their perceptions.

Old 02-20-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
why so many shootings in the US versus the rest of the world?
It is because we have mental health issues unique to the United States of America, and no where else!
What are mental health issues unique to the US?

Old 02-20-2018, 10:52 AM

30,041 posts, read 16,613,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Can't imagine putting myself in a situation of a felony charge of gun trafficking for " facilitating" an unlawful sale.
It's just stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or