U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2018, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Louisiana
7,455 posts, read 4,219,064 times
Reputation: 6017

Advertisements

Ya know, I've come around and decided this is great.
We need to create a whole lot more bathrooms.
As an old guy, I frequently have to take a leak.
It'd be great if there were more bathrooms
and it didn't matter which one ya use.

Who pays? Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2018, 03:57 AM
 
Location: Brusssels
1,933 posts, read 3,409,197 times
Reputation: 1895
All over Europe they have bathrooms for any gender to use and its really no big deal. And there is not one recorded case of a transgender person sexually assaulting or coming on to anyone in a bathroom - you're thinking of GOP lawmakers who have that track redord.

And I find it ironic that the same people who promote bathroom bills to "protect the children" are the same ones who refuse to protect children from being gunned down in their school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 03:57 AM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,733 posts, read 1,931,988 times
Reputation: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So I assume you must be a liberal. You must understand that bathrooms will never be all unisex because it is a terrible idea. Bathrooms are fundamentally designed as a trade-off between efficiency and privacy. Making all the bathrooms unisex would make it so that we have to have too many bathrooms. Think of the next sporting event. Do you really think 1000s of people are going to be able to make it work in all unisex bathrooms in a stadium? Of course not. So all societies have come up with a compromise. Some privacy in the form of separate bathrooms with some efficiency in the form of large spaces for these bathrooms. That is unless you could convince a large amount of the population to do it. No one has succeeded yet.

Actually most sporting venues, there are no policies restricting bathroom use for transgender individuals. The NFL, NBA, NHL and NCAA have made it quite clear, they are inclusive to transgender employees and fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:26 AM
 
66,217 posts, read 30,074,688 times
Reputation: 8600
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Just make them all unisex imo. When living in Germany it was amusing when tourist groups from the states would try to send in one gender at a time. Meanwhile others of either gender just streamed on in.
That's news to me. When I was in Germany, not only are restrooms segregated by sex, so are the wings in youth hostels. Why? Multiple occupancy showers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA.
3,949 posts, read 2,028,634 times
Reputation: 1882
If I see a man walk into the ladies room and my little girl is in there, s**t is going to get real!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:24 AM
 
66,217 posts, read 30,074,688 times
Reputation: 8600
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's news to me. When I was in Germany, not only are restrooms segregated by sex, so are the wings in youth hostels. Why? Multiple occupancy showers, etc.
FYI:
Quote:
Staying in a Youth Hostel

Sleeping accommodation in youth hostels is provided in shared rooms and is normally separate for male and female visitors.
https://jugendherberge-lindlar.jimdo...-hostel-rules/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 AM
 
512 posts, read 373,296 times
Reputation: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Actually most sporting venues, there are no policies restricting bathroom use for transgender individuals. The NFL, NBA, NHL and NCAA have made it quite clear, they are inclusive to transgender employees and fans.
I see that people are trying to dodge the point. We all know that there are some exceptions to the rule. Little girls go in the bathroom with their dad and little boys with their mom. But what the argument that liberals are making is that it is discrimination to have people not be allowed to go into the bathroom that is not their sex. If you want to make an analogy to the civil rights segregated bathrooms then you are being a hypocrite. Because we did not continue the segregated bathroom tradition while still trying to maintain that we are no longer doing it. It would be like having a white bathroom, hispanic bathroom, asian bathroom and saying, "We don't believe that people should have to use the race of their ancestors as a means to decide who uses what bathroom." Easily I would point out then the whole system is silly and they should not have multiple different bathroom types.

Seriously this would be like a Catholic school for boys and one for girls not trying to tell you that they didn't believe that education should be segregated for different sex. Obviously if you build two schools, you do believe it. So why can't people see the logic is the same when it comes to the bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 AM
 
Location: 49th parallel
2,517 posts, read 1,322,895 times
Reputation: 5210
If we did away with the public urinals most of the problem would go away. Then anyone could walk into any bathroom and have privacy - dads with their little girls, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 08:34 AM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,733 posts, read 1,931,988 times
Reputation: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
I see that people are trying to dodge the point. We all know that there are some exceptions to the rule. Little girls go in the bathroom with their dad and little boys with their mom. But what the argument that liberals are making is that it is discrimination to have people not be allowed to go into the bathroom that is not their sex. If you want to make an analogy to the civil rights segregated bathrooms then you are being a hypocrite. Because we did not continue the segregated bathroom tradition while still trying to maintain that we are no longer doing it. It would be like having a white bathroom, hispanic bathroom, asian bathroom and saying, "We don't believe that people should have to use the race of their ancestors as a means to decide who uses what bathroom." Easily I would point out then the whole system is silly and they should not have multiple different bathroom types.

Seriously this would be like a Catholic school for boys and one for girls not trying to tell you that they didn't believe that education should be segregated for different sex. Obviously if you build two schools, you do believe it. So why can't people see the logic is the same when it comes to the bathroom.

First of all the divide on Transgender issues is more generational then ideological, same as gay rights. As far as my personal opinion on bathrooms, use the bathroom that corresponds with the sex you identify as. In the event establishments decide to add single use restrooms, anyone cis-or trans that wants total privacy should be permitted to use them.
Now when it comes to schools (the under 18 crowd) trans students should have a neutral place to use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 08:47 AM
 
39,974 posts, read 24,224,185 times
Reputation: 12568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So a story came today about Madison Wisconsin pushing for transgender bathrooms.

All-gender bathrooms coming to every Madison public school | Local Education | host.madison.com

Personally I am quite annoyed. Not because I disagree that they shouldn't have these bathrooms, but because they are a joke. I want to know from the liberals on here. Do you agree with the direction that we have been going with the transgender bathrooms. Because it seems quite hypocritical if you do. Let me explain:
The bathrooms aren't "transgender". The bathrooms are for everyone. Why do you think they are a joke? They are bathrooms.

Personally, I've always believed a bathroom is a bathroom. As a woman, I've used the men's bathroom, because at public venues, the line for the women's bathroom is ten to twenty deep, and there is no line for the men's bathroom. I'd rather use the available bathroom then pee my pants. It's absolutely ridiculous when legislators pass laws criminalizing the use of a bathroom. That's the joke.

Your assertion about why liberals push for all-gender bathrooms is mistaken. Rape is not the issue at all. The issue is that a person who identifies as a certain gender identifies as that gender. Their choice. Legally compelling them to use the opposite gender's bathroom is inane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top