Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 10:53 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,520,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Oh, please allow me to clarify. Unisex restrooms, as in one person in at a time. They already exist in many places.
Oh. Thanks for clarifying. I misunderstood you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 10:59 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I mean unisex as in a large bathroom with multiple stalls
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-20-2018, 11:04 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
In Los Angeles these are very common now . “gender neutral “
It feels like you are going to be converted into a SJW just going through those doors .

Women that were born women don’t seem to like them .

I haven’t spoken to any transgendered folks yet to get their take .

Here in Phila a bill was passed that any government owned new construction or existing renovations are converting to "Gender Neutral' bathrooms.

I do not believe anywhere in the US has it been deemed unlawful for transgenders to enter the restroom they identify as, but can be asked to leave on grounds of trespassing in most states.
Of course privately owned facilities (including open spaces like malls, theaters etc) can set there own policies.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:10 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Here in Phila a bill was passed that any government owned new construction or existing renovations are converting to "Gender Neutral' bathrooms.

I do not believe anywhere in the US has it been deemed unlawful for transgenders to enter the restroom they identify as, but can be asked to leave on grounds of trespassing in most states.
Of course privately owned facilities (including open spaces like malls, theaters etc) can set there own policies.
It was against the law in NC, but that law has been repealed.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/educati...635951130.aspx

Old 02-20-2018, 11:12 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So a story came today about Madison Wisconsin pushing for transgender bathrooms.

All-gender bathrooms coming to every Madison public school | Local Education | host.madison.com

Personally I am quite annoyed. Not because I disagree that they shouldn't have these bathrooms, but because they are a joke. I want to know from the liberals on here. Do you agree with the direction that we have been going with the transgender bathrooms. Because it seems quite hypocritical if you do. Let me explain:

The transgender bathroom issue was fought by liberals because they wanted people to have the freedom to express themselves. Conservatives opposed for mainly two reasons.

1. They thought that kids might get raped in the bathroom

I'm not sure how sincere this argument was, but it was their first talking point. Personally I think it is the second reason

2. They thought that it was an invasion of privacy

I think the yuck factor is the serious problem for people having the opposite sex in the bathroom.

So here is my problem with transgender bathrooms, they are really just glorified unisex bathrooms by another name. When in practice people place transgender bathrooms, they don't actually make them available for both sexes to be in the same bathroom at the same time. This makes the entire argument a moot point. Sure we can all agree to allow transgender bathrooms to exist, but they no longer have any real meaning.

It seems like liberals are doing this to win a political talking point, but are being cowards on walking the walk. I would be ok if people admitted that they have problems with the opposite sex being in the bathroom in general but are willing to make accommodations for a select few. But the moral grandstanding is quite annoying when people are being hypocrites. Am I the only one who is seeing this?

They have always existed at public events. They are called "port-a-johns".

Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Yup.
I'm a woman and I don't give two figs about who is peeing in the stall next to me. I mean, seriously?

Old 02-20-2018, 11:24 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Just make them all unisex imo. When living in Germany it was amusing when tourist groups from the states would try to send in one gender at a time. Meanwhile others of either gender just streamed on in.
In Europe, hate to break it to my fellow Americans, but we are regarded as uptight, puritanical and prone to finding issues with just about everything. Not to mention the insecurity towards one's body not usually seen at such a level with most Europeans. The French and Germans have a wonderful attitude of "just be natural be yourself" which is maybe a tad too simplistic for many Americans. Typically seen on the beaches where people in Europe are just less vain, less obsessed with appearance and lacking the aggressively defensive nature of their American counterparts.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
In Europe, hate to break it to my fellow Americans, but we are regarded as uptight, puritanical and prone to finding issues with just about everything. Not to mention the insecurity towards one's body not usually seen at such a level with most Europeans. The French and Germans have a wonderful attitude of "just be natural be yourself" which is maybe a tad too simplistic for many Americans. Typically seen on the beaches where people in Europe are just less vain, less obsessed with appearance and lacking the aggressively defensive nature of their American counterparts.
Nope. I already posted the info with a link that in Germany, youth hostels segregate by sex.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm a woman and I don't give two figs about who is peeing in the stall next to me. I mean, seriously?
I theoretically don't want to care, either. If there are lots of people around (busy airport bathroom, etc.), a unisex multi-stall bathroom could be okay. But as a woman, if I'm alone in a bathroom in a lightly traveled place (shopping mall during off hours, for instance) and suddenly a man walks in, I'm going to be very uncomfortable. Call me paranoid, I guess, but I think most women and young girls would feel the same way.

Unisex single-stall bathrooms, such as restaurants often have, are absolutely fine of course. Although I do know a woman who refuses to use them. She will only use a female-dedicated bathroom. Even in her home, she and her daughter use one bathroom, and her husband and sons use the other. Yes, we all think she's a little weird about that.

Old 02-20-2018, 11:35 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
Sometimes I feel like a nut. Sometimes I don't. Remember that?
LOL

Just make them all either unisex and families. Then we don't have to hear people complain about moms taking sons or dads taking little girls into where that person thinks the parent should't be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies