U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Phila Pa
2,758 posts, read 1,952,849 times
Reputation: 1043

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It was against the law in NC, but that law has been repealed.

http://www.ncsl.org/research/educati...635951130.aspx
Yeap, thanks to Corporate America and Big Sports.

Texas took up a similar bill this past summer and failed there as well for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-20-2018, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Lancashire, England
2,417 posts, read 4,111,161 times
Reputation: 6709
Doesn't make any difference to hygiene issues whether restrooms are single-sex or gender neutral. The fact is that some people, regardless of gender, leave public restrooms in a filthy state. I work in a UK hospital and see the condition that the public restrooms there are in at times (and some of the public think they have a right to use the staff-only restrooms too).


The majority of UK males don't wash their hands after using a public restroom - my estimate is that between 60-65% don't. Not all UK females do either - harder to get a figure, but I'd say that approximately 20-25% of women don't wash their hands. If I really have to use a public restroom in the UK, I do my very best not to touch anything in a cubicle with my bare hands, and I make sure that I carry paper towels in my bag.


So, to me, having one or two unisex restrooms, instead of two single-sex rooms, means that they get dirtier quicker.


Who actually wants unisex restrooms? Is it just political correctness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 12:46 PM
 
24,080 posts, read 11,960,336 times
Reputation: 10245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So a story came today about Madison Wisconsin pushing for transgender bathrooms.

All-gender bathrooms coming to every Madison public school | Local Education | host.madison.com

Personally I am quite annoyed. Not because I disagree that they shouldn't have these bathrooms, but because they are a joke. I want to know from the liberals on here. Do you agree with the direction that we have been going with the transgender bathrooms. Because it seems quite hypocritical if you do. Let me explain:

The transgender bathroom issue was fought by liberals because they wanted people to have the freedom to express themselves. Conservatives opposed for mainly two reasons.

1. They thought that kids might get raped in the bathroom

I'm not sure how sincere this argument was, but it was their first talking point. Personally I think it is the second reason

2. They thought that it was an invasion of privacy

I think the yuck factor is the serious problem for people having the opposite sex in the bathroom.

So here is my problem with transgender bathrooms, they are really just glorified unisex bathrooms by another name. When in practice people place transgender bathrooms, they don't actually make them available for both sexes to be in the same bathroom at the same time. This makes the entire argument a moot point. Sure we can all agree to allow transgender bathrooms to exist, but they no longer have any real meaning.

It seems like liberals are doing this to win a political talking point, but are being cowards on walking the walk. I would be ok if people admitted that they have problems with the opposite sex being in the bathroom in general but are willing to make accommodations for a select few. But the moral grandstanding is quite annoying when people are being hypocrites. Am I the only one who is seeing this?
My daughter goes to parochial school where boys are boys and girls are girls and the gender confused are invited to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
20,788 posts, read 10,070,951 times
Reputation: 20238
All you men thinking unisex bathrooms are great - just wait until you have to wait in looooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnngggg lines because women aren't as quick as men.

There's a reason you see women use the men's room and not the other way around at large events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Barrington
45,925 posts, read 34,094,346 times
Reputation: 15348
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Just make them all unisex imo. When living in Germany it was amusing when tourist groups from the states would try to send in one gender at a time. Meanwhile others of either gender just streamed on in.
It was once common for bathrooms to be segregated by race, class, religion and sex in parts of Europe and the US. Disabled in wheel chairs were not accommodated. No doubt, there was resistance making bathrooms accessible.

I have never given any thought to who is in the stall next to mine. Nothing has prevented a cross - dresser, transgender or otherwise, from using the toilet of their choice in most enviornments.

I have used single stall men's rooms when the single stall ladiy's was occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:21 PM
 
5,097 posts, read 2,491,264 times
Reputation: 4657
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
See, the difference in opinion boils down to; is a transgender female a female or a male? Some say they are still men, others say they are women regardless as to whats between their legs. Vice versa on transgender males. Public opinion seems to be on the side of the latter. Polling has shown the majority are opposed to bathroom laws such as the recently repealed NC HB2.
I look at male and female according to how they were born, not what they prefer to be or attempt to achieve with medical alteration. You can dress a woman like a man, but no matter how desperately she wants to be a man she is never going to have the proper anatomy to satisfy a real woman. If men are going to be given free reign of the girl's toilet, I say let them all in regardless of whether they like the gender they were gifted at birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:37 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas/SF Peninsula/South Lake Tahoe
2,049 posts, read 1,334,126 times
Reputation: 1340
The Liberals have created a Burger King society. You can have it your way.

The difference is that others will pay for your requests.

Oh wait . . . Is Burger King PC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 07:38 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,724 posts, read 20,009,652 times
Reputation: 45791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
The Liberals have created a Burger King society. You can have it your way.

The difference is that others will pay for your requests.

Oh wait . . . Is Burger King PC?

What does that have to do with the topic?
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Anderson, IN
4,352 posts, read 1,360,582 times
Reputation: 2652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I look at male and female according to how they were born, not what they prefer to be or attempt to achieve with medical alteration. You can dress a woman like a man, but no matter how desperately she wants to be a man she is never going to have the proper anatomy to satisfy a real woman. If men are going to be given free reign of the girl's toilet, I say let them all in regardless of whether they like the gender they were gifted at birth.
How do you determine this? Stop people and check "under the hood"? ID checks? Some type of body scanner outside the bathroom door?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
31,724 posts, read 20,009,652 times
Reputation: 45791
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
How do you determine this? Stop people and check "under the hood"? ID checks? Some type of body scanner outside the bathroom door?
That's not ID's they are checking!!!!
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top