U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 11:10 AM

2,702 posts, read 993,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
So a story came today about Madison Wisconsin pushing for transgender bathrooms.

All-gender bathrooms coming to every Madison public school | Local Education | host.madison.com

Personally I am quite annoyed. Not because I disagree that they shouldn't have these bathrooms, but because they are a joke. I want to know from the liberals on here. Do you agree with the direction that we have been going with the transgender bathrooms. Because it seems quite hypocritical if you do. Let me explain:

The transgender bathroom issue was fought by liberals because they wanted people to have the freedom to express themselves. Conservatives opposed for mainly two reasons.

1. They thought that kids might get raped in the bathroom

I'm not sure how sincere this argument was, but it was their first talking point. Personally I think it is the second reason

2. They thought that it was an invasion of privacy

I think the yuck factor is the serious problem for people having the opposite sex in the bathroom.

So here is my problem with transgender bathrooms, they are really just glorified unisex bathrooms by another name. When in practice people place transgender bathrooms, they don't actually make them available for both sexes to be in the same bathroom at the same time. This makes the entire argument a moot point. Sure we can all agree to allow transgender bathrooms to exist, but they no longer have any real meaning.

It seems like liberals are doing this to win a political talking point, but are being cowards on walking the walk. I would be ok if people admitted that they have problems with the opposite sex being in the bathroom in general but are willing to make accommodations for a select few. But the moral grandstanding is quite annoying when people are being hypocrites. Am I the only one who is seeing this?
As a liberal, I think the bathroom debate is possibly the least important political issue on a national level. I just don't care -- why are we fighting about where people can go to the bathroom? Public restrooms are all disgusting anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2018, 01:58 PM

4,353 posts, read 1,362,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
There is so much more to distinguishing men from women than what's under the skirt - obviously. I think it's particularly silly that men think they can wear make up, put on a dress and heels and pass for a woman.
1. You assume all trans women wear dresses and heels. Do all cis women? No.

2. I pass just fine. Not many people offline know, because I don't tell them.

Quote:
There is so much more to distinguishing men from women than what's under the skirt
Like what? Like the brain?

Quote:
Transsexuals experience themselves as being of the opposite sex, despite having the biological characteristics of one sex. A crucial question resulting from a previous brain study in male-to-female transsexuals was whether the reported difference according to gender identity in the central part of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BSTc) was based on a neuronal difference in the BSTc itself or just a reflection of a difference in vasoactive intestinal polypeptide innervation from the amygdala, which was used as a marker. Therefore, we determined in 42 subjects the number of somatostatin-expressing neurons in the BSTc in relation to sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, and past or present hormonal status. Regardless of sexual orientation, men had almost twice as many somatostatin neurons as women (P < 0.006). The number of neurons in the BSTc of male-to-female transsexuals was similar to that of the females (P = 0.83). In contrast, the neuron number of a female-to-male transsexual was found to be in the male range. Hormone treatment or sex hormone level variations in adulthood did not seem to have influenced BSTc neuron numbers. The present findings of somatostatin neuronal sex differences in the BSTc and its sex reversal in the transsexual brain clearly support the paradigm that in transsexuals sexual differentiation of the brain and genitals may go into opposite directions and point to a neurobiological basis of gender identity disorder.
Male-to-Female Transsexuals Have Female Neuron Numbers in a Limbic Nucleus

Old 02-21-2018, 08:52 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,493,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
1. You assume all trans women wear dresses and heels. Do all cis women? No.

2. I pass just fine. Not many people offline know, because I don't tell them.

Like what? Like the brain?

Male-to-Female Transsexuals Have Female Neuron Numbers in a Limbic Nucleus
Men have a different skeletal construct than women, different center of gravity, different body proportions, different gait. Typically this can be recognized from a distance. In some rare cases there is an effeminate male or a masculine female, but even in those circumstances gender identification is a bit of a no-brainer. For example, if a woman is walking alone on a dark street and there is a shadowy figure up ahead, she very quickly makes a determination whether that figure is a male or female on the basis of self-preservation. That determination has nothing to do with what's under the skirt.

Furthermore, there's nothing new to the understanding that all males and females have traits that are typically described as male and female. Some females have more male traits, and some males have more female traits. Should females with a higher percentage of male traits suddenly decide that they are men? I don't think so. I think they should embrace who they are as they are and make the best of life with whatever they are given. Life is far too short to waste years messing with trying to change the packaging. I truly believe that anyone who believes they can change some of the packaging and be perceived as a different gender is deluded.

Old 02-22-2018, 08:38 AM

40,170 posts, read 24,399,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There is not a single woman I know that would use a bathroom where a man can go to a stall next to her.
That's hilarious. I'm a woman, and there's not a single woman I know that wouldn't use a bathroom when she needs to, regardless of whomever is in the next stall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or