U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 PM

512 posts, read 374,103 times

Advertisements

So a story came today about Madison Wisconsin pushing for transgender bathrooms.

All-gender bathrooms coming to every Madison public school | Local Education | host.madison.com

Personally I am quite annoyed. Not because I disagree that they shouldn't have these bathrooms, but because they are a joke. I want to know from the liberals on here. Do you agree with the direction that we have been going with the transgender bathrooms. Because it seems quite hypocritical if you do. Let me explain:

The transgender bathroom issue was fought by liberals because they wanted people to have the freedom to express themselves. Conservatives opposed for mainly two reasons.

1. They thought that kids might get raped in the bathroom

I'm not sure how sincere this argument was, but it was their first talking point. Personally I think it is the second reason

2. They thought that it was an invasion of privacy

I think the yuck factor is the serious problem for people having the opposite sex in the bathroom.

So here is my problem with transgender bathrooms, they are really just glorified unisex bathrooms by another name. When in practice people place transgender bathrooms, they don't actually make them available for both sexes to be in the same bathroom at the same time. This makes the entire argument a moot point. Sure we can all agree to allow transgender bathrooms to exist, but they no longer have any real meaning.

It seems like liberals are doing this to win a political talking point, but are being cowards on walking the walk. I would be ok if people admitted that they have problems with the opposite sex being in the bathroom in general but are willing to make accommodations for a select few. But the moral grandstanding is quite annoying when people are being hypocrites. Am I the only one who is seeing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 09:13 PM

7,058 posts, read 4,087,933 times
Just make them all unisex imo. When living in Germany it was amusing when tourist groups from the states would try to send in one gender at a time. Meanwhile others of either gender just streamed on in.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:20 PM

2,049 posts, read 1,325,844 times
Sometimes I feel like a nut. Sometimes I don't. Remember that?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:21 PM

So I assume you must be a liberal. You must understand that bathrooms will never be all unisex because it is a terrible idea. Bathrooms are fundamentally designed as a trade-off between efficiency and privacy. Making all the bathrooms unisex would make it so that we have to have too many bathrooms. Think of the next sporting event. Do you really think 1000s of people are going to be able to make it work in all unisex bathrooms in a stadium? Of course not. So all societies have come up with a compromise. Some privacy in the form of separate bathrooms with some efficiency in the form of large spaces for these bathrooms. That is unless you could convince a large amount of the population to do it. No one has succeeded yet.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:30 PM

6,834 posts, read 7,875,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Think of the next sporting event. Do you really think 1000s of people are going to be able to make it work in all unisex bathrooms in a stadium? Of course not.
All I could picture here was some dude wearing Kansas City Chiefs gear wandering into a female restroom at a Raiders home game to take a leak. Oh, the possibilities are endless!!!

Old 02-19-2018, 09:36 PM

5,078 posts, read 2,457,481 times
I think that unisex bathrooms are the perfect response to transgender people wanting to use bathrooms that were originally intended for the specific gender obvious at the time of birth. I doubt that transgender people expected that the solution would be unisex bathrooms, but it certainly provides the option where everyone is treated equally.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:42 PM

30,390 posts, read 20,026,742 times
Quote:
So a story came today about Madison Wisconsin pushing for transgender bathrooms.

All-gender bathrooms coming to every Madison public school | Local Education | host.madison.com

Personally I am quite annoyed. Not because I disagree that they shouldn't have these bathrooms, but because they are a joke. I want to know from the liberals on here. Do you agree with the direction that we have been going with the transgender bathrooms. Because it seems quite hypocritical if you do. Let me explain:

The transgender bathroom issue was fought by liberals because they wanted people to have the freedom to express themselves. Conservatives opposed for mainly two reasons.

1. They thought that kids might get raped in the bathroom

I'm not sure how sincere this argument was, but it was their first talking point. Personally I think it is the second reason

2. They thought that it was an invasion of privacy

I think the yuck factor is the serious problem for people having the opposite sex in the bathroom.

So here is my problem with transgender bathrooms, they are really just glorified unisex bathrooms by another name. When in practice people place transgender bathrooms, they don't actually make them available for both sexes to be in the same bathroom at the same time. This makes the entire argument a moot point. Sure we can all agree to allow transgender bathrooms to exist, but they no longer have any real meaning.

It seems like liberals are doing this to win a political talking point, but are being cowards on walking the walk. I would be ok if people admitted that they have problems with the opposite sex being in the bathroom in general but are willing to make accommodations for a select few. But the moral grandstanding is quite annoying when people are being hypocrites. Am I the only one who is seeing this?

So it's no fun if you can't force it down everyone else's throat?

Old 02-19-2018, 09:48 PM

5,078 posts, read 2,457,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So it's no fun if you can't force it down everyone else's throat?
That seems to be the objection from transgenders. They wanted to be treated differently from everyone else, and instead they are still treated just like everyone else. Men can take their little girls to the public toilet and men who think they are women can be in that same space.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:55 PM

3,885 posts, read 1,080,559 times
Quote:
So I assume you must be a liberal. You must understand that bathrooms will never be all unisex because it is a terrible idea. Bathrooms are fundamentally designed as a trade-off between efficiency and privacy. Making all the bathrooms unisex would make it so that we have to have too many bathrooms.
It may not be efficient, but IMO you can't have too many bathrooms. Heck I want one just for me!

Old 02-19-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It may not be efficient, but IMO you can't have too many bathrooms. Heck I want one just for me!

Ok seriously. People scream in public about this. Someone actually defend it. It's quite a silly idea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or