U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 07:13 AM

34,935 posts, read 31,961,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is odd how the Left is blaming the NRA for the school shooting in Florida last week.
It is like blaming the insurance company for a drunk driver that crashes their car?

The NRA does take a hard line stance on gun rights because they know that if they give an inch the anti gunners will take a mile. This tug of war has been going on for decades.

The NRA convention in Dallas is coming up and the mayor of that city is telling the NRA to find another city.

Dallas Mayor Pro Tem urges NRA to find a new home for their convention | abc13.com

The vast majority of NRA members love their country, history, heritage and abide by its laws.

I can't help but think that if this mayor that is denouncing the organization wouldn't be grateful to have a NRA member that knows how to handle a firearm next to him if he found himself in a dangerous spot.

What do you think? Should the NRA find another city for it's convention?
Yes, how about Vegas. I can drive to that one.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:15 AM

23,971 posts, read 32,680,516 times
Quote:
Mayor Pro Tem Dwaine Caraway is urging the NRA to find a new home for its annual convention.

He says the meeting is not appropriate in Dallas in the wake of last week's school shooting in Florida.

Caraway also points to the past tragedies in Dallas, including the 2016 ambush that killed five Dallas officers, and the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

Dallas Mayor Pro Tem urges NRA to find a new home for their convention | abc13.com

THE ASSASSINATION OF JOHN F. KENNEDY. Is he for real? That was 54.5 years ago.

Try even finding someone in Dallas today who is A.) old enough to remember the assassination and B.) actually was living here when it happened.

It's getting more and more rare, I'll tell you that. Someone who was my age on that date would be in their 90s now. Someone who was a senior in high school would be over 70 years old now.

If that's the best he can do, he kind of sucks at making arguments.

Thank God I don't live in Dallas proper so my taxes don't pay this clown's salary.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:20 AM

7,186 posts, read 2,739,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusano View Post
No. They should hold it where they want to hold it.
If a baker is allowed to turn away customers because they don't like something about them, a city can turn away customers, too.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:23 AM

66,168 posts, read 33,583,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
If a baker is allowed to turn away customers because they don't like something about them, a city can turn away customers, too.
Government cannot discriminate based upon any criteria. There is a huge lawsuit about to come about if contracts have been signed.

Instead of the community gaining over 1 million dollars in revenues off the convention, now they will pay 100 times more in the lawsuit.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 AM

7,045 posts, read 1,566,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Its nice the mayor could speak for all the local businesses who would have benefitted from such a convention

Hold it in a private venue and ignore the petty tyrant.
Pretty much my stance as well. Leave it to some soapboxing politician to try and take tens of millions of dollars away from local, small businesses that see a good percentage of their yearly profits from big conventions.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:27 AM

10,181 posts, read 2,608,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

THE ASSASSINATION OF JOHN F. KENNEDY. Is he for real? That was 54.5 years ago.

Try even finding someone in Dallas today who is A.) old enough to remember the assassination and B.) actually was living here when it happened.

It's getting more and more rare, I'll tell you that. Someone who was my age on that date would be in their 90s now. Someone who was a senior in high school would be over 70 years old now.

If that's the best he can do, he kind of sucks at making arguments.

Thank God I don't live in Dallas proper so my taxes don't pay this clown's salary.
When JFK was brought up, he should have been asked why FBI and CIA fought to keep certain parts of the recently released files on this case, classified, Gee I wonder why they dont want people to see these sections, even this long after the event?!!

Old 02-20-2018, 07:28 AM

18,056 posts, read 10,081,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I think it is odd how the Left is blaming the NRA for the school shooting in Florida last week.
It is like blaming the insurance company for a drunk driver that crashes their car?

The NRA does take a hard line stance on gun rights because they know that if they give an inch the anti gunners will take a mile. This tug of war has been going on for decades.

The NRA convention in Dallas is coming up and the mayor of that city is telling the NRA to find another city.

The vast majority of NRA members love their country, history, heritage and abide by its laws.

I can't help but think that if this mayor that is denouncing the organization wouldn't be grateful to have a NRA member that knows how to handle a firearm next to him if he found himself in a dangerous spot.

What do you think? Should the NRA find another city for it's convention?
I need to send that mayor a contribution for his next campaign. Thanks for posting.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:54 AM

11,492 posts, read 3,141,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I have to wonder if the SCOTUS would actually ever allow that to happen or if it's just a convenient fear-mongering argument that keeps people like LaPierre comfy with a very healthy compensation package?

No one's saying they're not 'normal' Americans, the vast majority of whom share the same qualities.
The bolded could be influenced by who is sitting on the court, and I doubt a progressive Democrat in the Oval Office would ever appoint a justice whose track record indicates stronger 2A support than Kennedy, Thomas, Alito, Roberts, or Gorsuch.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:41 AM

51,770 posts, read 29,836,931 times
I watched the video in the story and it's typical rhetoric when a mayor (most likely anti-Second Amendment) says words like ".. if you are ever confronted with a gun..".

If I'm ever confronted with a criminal, it makes more sense to shoot the criminal, NOT the gun.

Old 02-20-2018, 08:52 AM

29,605 posts, read 16,342,548 times
"No NRA"-Said the mayor from behind his armed security detail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies