U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,215 posts, read 34,440,075 times
Reputation: 10528

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
The problem is the difference between the gun control the majority are comfortable with and what gets proposed. I am a huge gun rights advocate and I want some things done. But what I want done is not close to what a lot of people think should be done.
Like I said before, the GOP should come up with some measures, maybe a qualification process and licencing, to eliminate the urge from the Dems to pass something overboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:15 AM
 
535 posts, read 108,119 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nice job Einstein. Yes, new applicants are new. What has that got to do with the actual sales?
Insults do nothing for your argument. If you understand how it works then you know that once you have a C.C. license or a permit (if you are required in your location) then you don't need to apply again. Hence a large percentage of the people rushing out to buy guns are people who were not already gun owners. They are new gun owners and voters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:19 AM
 
535 posts, read 108,119 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I said before, the GOP should come up with some measures, maybe a qualification process and licencing, to eliminate the urge from the Dems to pass something overboard.
This is what I when I said that I would like to see something done. I propose a process done federally similar to a C.C. license. In depth background check etc. Then you are issued a license by the feds. Once you have said license you can purchase and carry anywhere in the country. Renewal and background check to be done annually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:21 AM
 
52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times
Reputation: 32509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
They have in the past, and will do so again. The only reason they didn't do it 08-10 was because they were busy getting ACA passed.
They have? Please cite this because if you're thinking of the 1994 law it wasn't a ban beyond newly manufactured guns. You could still own, buy and sell them. Also had a sunset provision so it expired 2004.

FWIW, I keep hearing from repubs aimed at voters in religious areas that if you just vote for them and send them money, they'll ban abortion *snort* *chuckle* when they get in office.

Don't fall for the hype and then make excuses when they don't really deliver.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:22 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,215 posts, read 34,440,075 times
Reputation: 10528
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
Insults do nothing for your argument. If you understand how it works then you know that once you have a C.C. license or a permit (if you are required in your location) then you don't need to apply again. Hence a large percentage of the people rushing out to buy guns are people who were not already gun owners. They are new gun owners and voters.
Yes, I know exactly how it works. I have one. You are ASSUMING the buyers are new buyers, but it is only an assumption. You simply do not know that.

Besides, who told you applications and sales are skyrocketing?

Strum Ruger just announced sales are down 27%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:24 AM
 
24,140 posts, read 11,995,599 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let me repeat since it didn't penetrate the first time: The people who panic and rush in to buy more guns at times like this are OBVIOUSLY the terrified ones.

Of course the alt-right wants everyone to just shut up after school shootings, but it is clearly not going to happen. If Dems want another ban, they will being it up at times like these.
And it will fail even on times like these.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:25 AM
 
24,140 posts, read 11,995,599 times
Reputation: 10289
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
This is what I when I said that I would like to see something done. I propose a process done federally similar to a C.C. license. In depth background check etc. Then you are issued a license by the feds. Once you have said license you can purchase and carry anywhere in the country. Renewal and background check to be done annually.
You donít license a right.

Fail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:26 AM
 
Location: Florida
63,215 posts, read 34,440,075 times
Reputation: 10528
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL IRON View Post
This is what I when I said that I would like to see something done. I propose a process done federally similar to a C.C. license. In depth background check etc. Then you are issued a license by the feds. Once you have said license you can purchase and carry anywhere in the country. Renewal and background check to be done annually.
That is close to what I have been saying. A licence requirement, and to get a licence, you'd take a gun safety course, drug test, background check and mental evaluation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,392 posts, read 20,178,361 times
Reputation: 13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Let me repeat since it didn't penetrate the first time: The people who panic and rush in to buy more guns at times like this are OBVIOUSLY the terrified ones.

Of course the alt-right wants everyone to just shut up after school shootings, but it is clearly not going to happen. If Dems want another ban, they will being it up at times like these.
Bold

Guns are durable useful tools, so they hold value in almost every situation. Even in situations where the economy collapses, guns will have fairly high value.

If you had a rare model of a rare gun that isn't made anymore, then the market value will increase.

If strict gun law is passed, I can see why people would want to purchase more guns for investment purpose alone.

It is not all about "they are scared."

My grandpa had a rare gun that isn't made anymore. Now, I have it, because he decided to give it to his favorite granddaughter. The market value is $1200 right now (I know not very high), but when he purchased it, it was only $200 or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2018, 07:30 AM
 
6,994 posts, read 2,548,412 times
Reputation: 3818
All you need to know is right here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec 2, (36) and (36)(E) of proposed ban
The term ‘semiautomatic assault weapon’ means any of the following, regardless of country of manufacture or caliber of ammunition accepted:
...
(E) A semiautomatic pistol with a fixed magazine that has the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds.
Besides a few stock versions of 1911s in .45 ACP, that is, as early posters noted, roughly 95% of all semiautomatic pistols made in the last 100 years.

Basically, the bill seeks to eliminate the existence of all semiautomatic weapons generally, and to make sure the State has irresistible power over the slave. I use the word slave because once we have had our ability to resist taken away by fore, we aren't really citizens anymore, just slaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top