Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 12:54 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
We might want to have draconian penalties for Straw Purchases.
Straw Purchasing | Dontlie.org

Ten years and a quarter mill seems to me to be somewhat draconian.

The problem is that, even when it's cut and dried, it's rarely prosecuted, my link has 44 out of 48000.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...straw-buyers-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 01:02 PM

1,330 posts, read 699,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Maybe you should ask some of our vets that have come back from the sandbox on how they think those goat ****ers did against them ?
Considering I'll bet that few or none of the Islamic terrorists probably had sex with a goat, pretty well.

Great to see that you think the entire middle east is full of "goat ****ers" though. Really lets the racism shine through.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:04 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeminoleTom View Post
We all saw the news regarding Dicks Sporting Goods not selling the AR anymore. I think its good.

But one thing my ultra right winged father-in-law always fires back on is the guns at Dicks isn't the problem. Rather its the guns on the underground market (pawn shops, Uncle Bob's trunk of his car, etc). Lets say for a second no civilian can purchase a gun at Dicks or other sporting good store. How do we eradicate the secondary market of "bad guys" getting the AR guns? I think it's possible to do this but will be a challenge. Guns is not a problem in Australia, for example. How did they get rid of guns on the secondary market?
Pawn shops at least where I live are not the underground market. And any pawn shop operating outside the law would be shut down.

But you do this:

You declare Marshall Law. Suspend the constitution. You deploy millions of federal troops doing door to door searches looking for weapons and arresting those inside if they are found. Randomly search every vehicle on street for weapons arresting those if necessary. Search all businesses the same way.

A side effect of this would likely be a civil war as a large percentage of Americans would rather die than succumb to the anti gun crowd.

Keep doing this over and over again for years if necessary until the remaining not jailed citizens will eventually live in a relatively gun free America.

Or you deal with the reality that sometimes bad people do bad things and a free constitutional America is better than the alternative above.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:06 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If the Russian bots and trolls are so active and prevalent, has anyone thought that maybe they're the ones pushing this gun banning movement? Could that be their goal, to disarm America and leave us defenseless?
I have little doubt. I'm sure they are pushing both sides, with the loudest voices.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:07 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And every state has that on a data base.

Everyone talks about how there's no national registry but in reality there is, NICS. Dealers have to keep that paperwork forever.

A gun is seized in a crime. The police contact the manufacturer which has a list of what dealer that gun was sent to.

The police go to that dealer and inspect the paper NICS form to see who the gun was sold to. That person then gets visited.

Very pointed questions will then be asked as to how that gun ended up at a crime scene.
I got guns so old, they never had serial numbers and I have so many homemade guns of all different calibers, then we can get into the inherited full autos that came to me in the Last Will of my grandpa and dad.
I'm on no list.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Dick's is just trying to score Brownie points. As to illegal guns, does the war on drugs sound familiar?
Prohibition also rings sounds familiar.

What do call people who keep trying the same sort of thing but expect a different result?

I suppose if you are currently in the illegal weapons business you would welcome a total ban on guns. Good for business.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:08 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,792 times
Pawn shops and uncles are not "underground".

Old 02-28-2018, 01:11 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I got guns so old, they never had serial numbers and I have so many homemade guns of all different calibers, then we can get into the inherited full autos that came to me in the Last Will of my grandpa and dad.
I'm on no list.
I also have several with no serial numbers. But anything bought with a NICS check since it was enacted will be on a list or in a file somewhere.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:22 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If the Russian bots and trolls are so active and prevalent, has anyone thought that maybe they're the ones pushing this gun banning movement? Could that be their goal, to disarm America and leave us defenseless?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I have little doubt. I'm sure they are pushing both sides, with the loudest voices.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/19/t...-shooting.html

Quote:
One hour after news broke about the school shooting in Florida last week, Twitter accounts suspected of having links to Russia released hundreds of posts taking up the gun control debate.

Old 02-28-2018, 01:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I don't agree at all. I'm a 2nd Amendment absolutist. If you are a free citizen walking among other citizens then you should have all of your rights and that includes the 2nd Amendment. If society thinks you are too dangerous to own a gun then you should not be free to live with peaceful people.
So, you'd like every person who ever committed acts of domestic violence to be imprisoned for life, I assume?

Where do you stand on "good guys" who accidentally discharge weapons in the presence of other people? Prison? I mean, they cannot live out among the rest of us, you said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies