U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2018, 07:33 AM

33,829 posts, read 41,854,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
And here is the slippery slope... I knew it was coming.

Then what is it? If the, at that time, highest ranking law enforcement official in the US says "This is what we want to do" don't you kinda think it should be believed?

Many people have this habit of saying exactly what they mean and many others have the complementary habit of believing them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 AM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 25 days ago)

17,987 posts, read 8,101,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
As I said... My guess is he's trying to deliberately sabotage any gun control law, either from passing Congress at all due to lack of agreement or Federal Court will strike it as unConstitutional.
Oh right. Trump is known for his subtlety.

I thought people voted for hm because they were tired of tricky political ploys.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:38 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,436,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
It has just started. Half measures are not going to placate the Parkland Survivors, or better than half of America that wants to see weapons of war removed from private hands.
ooooh, "weapons of war" verwy,verwy scarwey. In reality aren't ALL weapons "weapons of war"? Gotta love these echo chamber catch phrases...

Old 03-01-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oh right. Trump is known for his subtlety.

I thought people voted for hm because they were tired of tricky political ploys.
I watched the whole meeting and took what he said as exactly what he meant. It was actually refreshing watching a meeting like this, one where it looked like people were actually being very candid about what they wanted to happen and how they saw things. I certainly didn't catch any subterfuge or anything that needed any "reading between the lines" or double talk.

If anything we need MORE of these kind of open negotiations so everyone can see and hear for themselves instead of having it filtered,spun and processed by some partisan media person.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:45 AM
Status: "It is the nature of grotesque things you canít look away" (set 25 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The left was dead certain there would be assassination attempts on Obama by white racist gun fanatics, weren't they? But its been 10 years now and, aside from that one crazed Mexican guy who took a pot shot at the White House... nothing. And you still come out with this. No shame?
That you know of.

Any president receives death threats daily, and this includes actual plots. The Secret Service fields and foils them and seldom lets us know about them, in order to prevent copy cats.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...t-Service.html

Old 03-01-2018, 07:46 AM

27,100 posts, read 15,654,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
TDS much? Just can't seem to give credit where credit is due. That's really sad...
Actually it is a consistent trait in regards to Trump. He was for a seemingly single-payer Obamacare replacement but all we are getting is self-implosion due to an EO reversing the individual mandate. Trump was so about the mental health component of the gun debate and toed the line of the NRA prior to yesterday. He has to show me he is genuine.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:50 AM

1,708 posts, read 495,526 times
First of all, the NRA's got you guys panties all twisted in knots about somebody coming to take your guns. That's just not going to happen under any circumstances, if you're the average gun owner.

OTOH

If you own a Bump-Stock, or some kinda militaristic styled rifle that can be converted, or it has been proven that you're in illegal possession of some kinda firearm, then yeah, your firearm might very well be confiscated (as it should be).

Nobody was worried about their weapons being taken from them prior to the advent of the NRA and its prostitute GOP led congress.

IMO

We'd all be much better of as a society, if we just owned revolvers, lever-actions, pumps, and bolt-action firearms anyways...

Old 03-01-2018, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That's funny. He's behaving exactly as all the Liberals here predicted he would and nobody listened.

Trump's biggest probalem is he speaks and has absolutely no idea what he's saying. He isn't educated enough to know how the government works. THAT is why he was not a better choice than Hillary.
Pretty much. There is no underlying there there, his "thoughts" roll around in his head like so many individual marbles, their organizing principle only "which marble sounds good right this minute".

He can be used by anyone who understands how he works. Understanding him isn't difficult either.

Old 03-01-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Actually it is a consistent trait in regards to Trump. He was for a seemingly single-payer Obamacare replacement but all we are getting is self-implosion due to an EO reversing the individual mandate. Trump was so about the mental health component of the gun debate and toed the line of the NRA prior to yesterday. He has to show me he is genuine.
When it comes to Obamacare one must take into account that he can't pull a lever and force congress to do anything. They are too busy doing nothing other than fighting amongst themselves. He did what Obama did and used an EO to do what he could by himself. I'm glad he did it as Obamacare sucked.

I will wait to see what comes out of the gun meeting yesterday, that's all anyone can do. One good thing about it being fully televised is that there's no possible way for anyone to say "well, that's not what I said" and really not even to try the waffle of "that's not what I meant".

Every statement from DiFi to Rubio and everyone in between was crystal clear in it's meaning and direction.
What we the public don't know is if Trump forewarned the NRA that he was going to take a few whacks at them. Maybe he did but I don't think so. I was surprised he said what he did though...

Old 03-01-2018, 07:59 AM

34,878 posts, read 31,924,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeliner View Post
First of all, the NRA's got you guys panties all twisted in knots about somebody coming to take your guns. That's just not going to happen under any circumstances, if you're the average gun owner.

OTOH

If you own a Bump-Stock, or some kinda militaristic styled rifle that can be converted, or it has been proven that you're in illegal possession of some kinda firearm, then yeah, your firearm might very well be confiscated (as it should be).

Nobody was worried about their weapons being taken from them prior to the advent of the NRA and its prostitute GOP led congress.

IMO

We'd all be much better of as a society, if we just owned revolvers, lever-actions, pumps, and bolt-action firearms anyways...
The tool of the trade has zero effect on the warped mind.. There will always be mass killings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies