Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2018, 06:18 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times

Advertisements

40 years ago people like the FL shooter would have been put in a state mental hospital to protect himself and the public. These days we don't do that. In the past too many were put in those places but these days we are afraid to do it with anyone. There's a reasonable middle ground between the two extremes that would go a long way in preventing some of these incidents. Let's be clear here most mental health issues do not make people dangerous. But there was plenty of evidence of a danger in FL with this person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 06:23 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
I'll tell you what, as soon as there are no more illegal aliens in the country and people are not buying, getting addicted to and dying from illegal drugs while "Drug Cartels" and "drug dealers" make millions then we can discuss more gun laws.

If you can't enforce the laws you already have why should we think you can enforce new ones?

Prove you can enforce the laws on the books and then think about adding new ones. It's like trying to bench press 225lbs. when you have not even lifted 190 lbs.yet.

You think MS13 gets their guns legally? How nieve are you people?

Criminals will always get drugs and guns and jobs washing dishes or cutting lawns. The question is will law abiding citizens be able to defend themselves against them.
Some of these idiots, and I DO mean IDIOTS think that passing some feel good laws will have a dramatic affect on gun shootings etc.

Clinton's so called "Assault Weapons Ban law" had almost ZERO affect on gun shootings Despite all the hoopla about how "effective" it would be.

We HAVE TOTAL BAN (the WAR on drugs) on a LOT of drugs and MORE people get them then ever before.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:11 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
The problem is public schools in this country.

If parents can't send their kids to private schools, then they had better focus on addressing why public schools aren't ensuring the safety of their kids.

THAT is the problem.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:17 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
The problem is public schools in this country.

If parents can't send their kids to private schools, then they had better focus on addressing why public schools aren't ensuring the safety of their kids.

THAT is the problem.
This thread is likely the result of several merged threads. (is currently, as of this writing, a Sticky entitled: Gun Bans) Additionally, I'm not aware of a thread, or an IRL ban on "parents sending their kids to private schools" in the US.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:18 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,496,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Some of these idiots, and I DO mean IDIOTS think that passing some feel good laws will have a dramatic affect on gun shootings etc.

Clinton's so called "Assault Weapons Ban law" had almost ZERO affect on gun shootings Despite all the hoopla about how "effective" it would be.

We HAVE TOTAL BAN (the WAR on drugs) on a LOT of drugs and MORE people get them then ever before.
Never mind the illegal drugs...
What of the prescription medication for the ADD/ADHD the psychotropic medications that come with homicidal/suicidal side effects?

Yeah a junkie strung out is capable of violent tendencies to score another hit, break and enter to steal to pawn for cash... but the medications that are numerous with homicidal/suicidal tendencies...

My father, 3 years before he died, was prescribed Lyrica for neuropathy pain. (Nerve damage from unstable blood sugar levels) Lyrica turned him into a psychopath. Yeah he regained his ability to walk without having pain in his feet and legs, and use his hands without pain... but it also made him into a rage filled nut. The slightest change in tone of voice when speaking would cause him to become combative and shout. The day he grabbed ahold of my mother by the throat when she responded to a question she had asked him, was the first and only time I ever put hands on him. We took him off of that medication that day. He got combative with a NY state trooper the night previous to that day, over a license plate lamp being out... I thought he was going to get tazered, or pepper sprayed, maybe even shot. He followed the trooper back to his car and was pounding on the window and roof screaming at the trooper to open the window demanding he come out of the car. I had all I could do to drag him back to the car...

My mother being a LPN grabbed her medicine book and skimmed through it. There was no warning printed on the label for this medications side effects to include depression, episodes of mania or agression. Nor did his doctor explain that would be an included side effect.

And the FDA allows these "medicines" to market...

Old 02-25-2018, 07:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,822,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
This thread is likely the result of several merged threads. (is currently, as of this writing, a Sticky entitled: Gun Bans) Additionally, I'm not aware of a thread, or an IRL ban on "parents sending their kids to private schools" in the US.

You missed the interesting argument about "statism vs. realism." And mental health. And drugs. And lack of parental involvement.

Close to 100 pages of posts reveals arguments against gun bansfor any number of reasons, though I see why you focused on the last one.

We already know that gun bans don't work. And further bans won't work. The elephant in the room is the lack of safety in public schools. Ignoring it is not an option.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This shining city on the hill (what a joke that is!!) allowed babies in Sandy Hook to get blown to smithereens and did nothing legislatively in the aftermath because there are people that believe they need these over the top weapons for personal use in readiness for the coming zombie apocalypse...as the NRA and the industry profits. It's a very sick nation and greed is the disease that utilizes fear mongering to scare the **** out of pinhead gun fondlers.
"allowed babies in Sandy Hook"

How many EXISTING laws were broken.

"because there are people that believe they need these over the top weapons for personal use in readiness"

571 PAGES of "zombies"

"It is better to be thought of as fool, then to open ones's mouth and REMOVE ALL DOUBT" as they say.

WA| Tri-City Herald
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
A man attacked their SUV in Pasco. This father was armed and ready
Pasco police say the father — who had a concealed pistol license — fired a warning shot from ...

TX | KLTV
Tuesday, February 6, 2018
Private citizen shot man trying to break into home
Authorities in Bowie County are investigating an incident in which a private citizen shot a man who was ...

GA | Patch
Waffle House Customer Shoots At Armed Robbers
Surveillance photos of two armed men who robbed an Acworth Waffle House have been released by the Cherokee ...

LA | The Advocate
Monday, February 5, 2018
Tow-truck driver shoots man in self-defense Friday night
A man was shot by a tow-truck driver who New Orleans police say was acting in self-defense Friday ...

PA | WTAE
Monday, February 5, 2018
One shot after home invasion in Springdale Township
Allegheny County 911 was notified about a home invasion, by a known person, and shots fired at 1206 ...

Associated Press
Monday, February 5, 2018
Armed Passer-By Aids Utah Policeman Being Assaulted
A passer-by carrying a concealed pistol is being credited with stopping an attack on a police officer in ...

KY | WBKO
Friday, February 2, 2018
Concealed Carry holder holds robbery suspect at gunpoint
A Grayson County man is behind bars after allegedly breaking into a residence in Edmonson County.

FL | TC Palm
Friday, February 2, 2018
Homeowner shoots suspected burglar in southern Indian River County
Deputies responded to a shooting after a burglary went wrong Thursday evening on the 300 block of 14th ...

NC | Fox
Friday, February 2, 2018
Fort Bragg soldier allegedly shoots, kills wife’s attacker at North Carolina home
Police believe a Fort Bragg soldier shot and killed a man attacking his wife Tuesday evening

TX | TXK Today
Friday, February 2, 2018
Man shot attempting to break into house in Liberty Eylau
A Texarkana man is recovering from a gunshot would after attempting to break in to a home Wednesday evening.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
This shining city on the hill (what a joke that is!!) allowed babies in Sandy Hook to get blown to smithereens and did nothing legislatively in the aftermath because there are people that believe they need these over the top weapons for personal use in readiness for the coming zombie apocalypse...as the NRA and the industry profits. It's a very sick nation and greed is the disease that utilizes fear mongering to scare the **** out of pinhead gun fondlers.

"because there are people that believe they need these over the top weapons for personal use in readiness"

"to scare the **** out of pinhead gun fondlers"

Thank GOD these people wern't the little scared pinheads like you are about guns.

Do you wet you pants ever time you see one?

571 PAGES of "zombies"

"It is better to be thought of as fool, then to open ones's mouth and REMOVE ALL DOUBT" as they say.

WA| Tri-City Herald
Wednesday, February 7, 2018
A man attacked their SUV in Pasco. This father was armed and ready
Pasco police say the father — who had a concealed pistol license — fired a warning shot from ...

TX | KLTV
Private citizen shot man trying to break into home
Authorities in Bowie County are investigating an incident in which a private citizen shot a man who was ...

GA | Patch
Waffle House Customer Shoots At Armed Robbers
Surveillance photos of two armed men who robbed an Acworth Waffle House have been released by the Cherokee ...

LA | The Advocate
Monday, February 5, 2018
Tow-truck driver shoots man in self-defense Friday night
A man was shot by a tow-truck driver who New Orleans police say was acting in self-defense Friday ...

PA | WTAE
Monday, February 5, 2018
One shot after home invasion in Springdale Township
Allegheny County 911 was notified about a home invasion, by a known person, and shots fired at 1206 ...

Associated Press
Monday, February 5, 2018
Armed Passer-By Aids Utah Policeman Being Assaulted
A passer-by carrying a concealed pistol is being credited with stopping an attack on a police officer in ...

KY | WBKO
Friday, February 2, 2018
Concealed Carry holder holds robbery suspect at gunpoint
A Grayson County man is behind bars after allegedly breaking into a residence in Edmonson County.

FL | TC Palm
Friday, February 2, 2018
Homeowner shoots suspected burglar in southern Indian River County
Deputies responded to a shooting after a burglary went wrong Thursday evening on the 300 block of 14th ...

NC | Fox
Friday, February 2, 2018
Fort Bragg soldier allegedly shoots, kills wife’s attacker at North Carolina home
Police believe a Fort Bragg soldier shot and killed a man attacking his wife Tuesday evening

TX | TXK Today
Friday, February 2, 2018
Man shot attempting to break into house in Liberty Eylau
A Texarkana man is recovering from a gunshot would after attempting to break in to a home Wednesday evening.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Never mind the illegal drugs...
What of the prescription medication for the ADD/ADHD the psychotropic medications that come with homicidal/suicidal side effects?

Yeah a junkie strung out is capable of violent tendencies to score another hit, break and enter to steal to pawn for cash... but the medications that are numerous with homicidal/suicidal tendencies...

My father, 3 years before he died, was prescribed Lyrica for neuropathy pain. (Nerve damage from unstable blood sugar levels) Lyrica turned him into a psychopath. Yeah he regained his ability to walk without having pain in his feet and legs, and use his hands without pain... but it also made him into a rage filled nut. The slightest change in tone of voice when speaking would cause him to become combative and shout. The day he grabbed ahold of my mother by the throat when she responded to a question she had asked him, was the first and only time I ever put hands on him. We took him off of that medication that day. He got combative with a NY state trooper the night previous to that day, over a license plate lamp being out... I thought he was going to get tazered, or pepper sprayed, maybe even shot. He followed the trooper back to his car and was pounding on the window and roof screaming at the trooper to open the window demanding he come out of the car. I had all I could do to drag him back to the car...

My mother being a LPN grabbed her medicine book and skimmed through it. There was no warning printed on the label for this medications side effects to include depression, episodes of mania or agression. Nor did his doctor explain that would be an included side effect.

And the FDA allows these "medicines" to market...
"What of the prescription medication for the ADD/ADHD..."

I brought up Ritalin in another post.

Old 02-25-2018, 08:17 AM

57,266 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Let's call them "Weapons of War" then,"

OK, how many AR-15's have been used in "wars"?

"like the Fourth Circuit did"

" you mean the court that has 9 of the 14 judges appointed by gun grabbing Clinton and Obama?

That UN-biased court?

I DON'T think so!
The 4th circuit stole your guns, of course their decisions are driven by in your mind only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies